Eunice has a longstanding appreciation of bicycles, and there are many races where cycling enthusiasts can showcase their prowess. Unfortunately, the tradition of cycling also means frequent accidents involving bicycles and motor vehicles in these urban and residential areas.
If you were recently involved in such a crash, a Eunice bicycle accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers could help you file a personal injury claim or lawsuit against the at-fault party or parties.
The Role of Our Eunice Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Pursuing the negligent party on your own is not advisable as people rarely want to acknowledge their mistakes. Hiring our attorney familiar with bicycle accidents may be ideal as they will go after the negligent party for you and demand they pay you compensation.
A lawyer from our firm can help you in several ways. You can expect them to do the following during this difficult time:
- Investigate the accident
- Ensure you receive much-needed treatment without delay
- Gather key facts and present them to your advantage
- Liaise with insurance adjusters
- Protect your rights
- Negotiate a fair settlement
- Litigate your case if necessary
- Offer emotional support throughout the process
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer serving Eunice, call (337) 777-7777
Bicycle Laws in Louisiana
The local government has enacted these laws to govern how cyclists and motorists operate on Louisiana’s roads:
- Wear Helmets: Persons under 12 must adorn a helmet when riding or traveling on a bicycle. Persons older than this age are strongly advised to wear protective gear when cycling.
- Use the Right-Hand Side: Cyclists must stay on the extreme right-hand edge unless there’s a reasonable justification for overtaking or avoiding unsafe road conditions.
- Ensure Safe Passing: Drivers must leave a safe distance of three feet when passing a cyclist traveling in the same direction and keep this distance until they safely overtake the bicycle. Drivers can only overtake cyclists in no-passing zones with no imminent danger.
- Ride Safely on Sidewalks: Not all roads in the state have designated cycling paths. Riders are free to use sidewalks, provided they remain vigilant when pedestrians are present.
- Observe Traffic Stops: Cyclists must stop when the traffic signs signal vehicles to halt. This rule is vital at intersections, which are notorious for accidents.
Eunice Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Common Reasons for Bicycle Accidents
Despite the above bike safety guidelines, bicycle accidents are still prevalent. The most common causes include:
- Distracted driving, e.g., when operating a phone
- Not leaving enough distance
- Mistakes when merging from side streets
- Reckless driving, e.g., ignoring traffic rules
- Bad weather conditions
- Poor road maintenance, e.g., potholes
- Dimly lit roads
Your bicycle accident lawyer will investigate your case and obtain the driver’s blood test results. Driving under the influence (DUI) is a felony in Louisiana if the offender has had two other DUI convictions in the past decade. In addition to the criminal penalties imposed, failing a chemical test (a BAC of .08% or higher) must be reported to the Department of Public Safety (DPS), and a license suspension may ensue.
Click to contact our Eunice Personal Injury Lawyers today
Injuries From Bicycle Accidents
It’s a traumatic experience when you’re involved in a cycling accident because you don’t have as much protection as the vehicle occupants. Your body has direct contact with the vehicle, road objects, and asphalt.
Here are some injuries that bicycle accident victims can sustain:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Dislodged bones
- Internal bleeding
- Road rash
- Lung injuries
- Rib fractures
- Facial fractures and contusions
- Pelvic damage
- Dental trauma
Death is another possible outcome of bicycle accidents. If you lost a loved one in a bicycle accident another party caused, we can help you seek wrongful death damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Compensation in a Bicycle Accident Claim
Apart from the obvious physical and emotional trauma you’ll experience, such accidents can impact your life in unimaginable ways in the days following and later on.
Your lawyer can help you recover the following damages:
- Current and expected medical expenses
- Medical equipment costs
- Physiotherapy appointments
- Lost wages, now and in the future
- Repair or replacement costs for your wrecked bicycle
- Pain and suffering
- Travel costs to and from hospital appointments
- Costs for modifying your home, e.g., installing a wheelchair ramp
- Out-of-pocket costs, like hiring a nanny for your kids
- Funeral and burial expenses if a loved one passed away in a cycling accident
Using Your Insurance to Cover Medical Bills After a Bicycle Accident
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) or no-fault insurance is not mandated in Louisiana, but we strongly recommend investing in the plan.
Your personal cover will pay for the initial costs of treatment, irrespective of who’s liable for the accident. Nonetheless, extensive treatments could be outside your coverage limit, and for this, you’ll need a cash influx from another source. Financial hardships and the inability to work during recovery often mean additional money isn’t forthcoming.
Unplanned medical expenses can trigger bankruptcy filing, especially for people without insurance coverage. Whether you have the necessary insurance plans, your lawyer will ensure the at-fault party compensates you for such expenses to avoid financial ruin.
Personal Injury Statute of Limitations
According to CC Art. 3492, in Louisiana, the deadline to file a personal injury lawsuit is one year from the day of the accident. If you file after the deadline, the court may bar you from seeking damages. So, it is important to allow our team to get started on your case immediately to safeguard your right to compensation.
Consult Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for Legal Counsel
Were you hurt in a bicycle accident in either St. Landry Parish or Acadia Parish? Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you hold the liable party accountable for your injuries and other damages.
We have the resources to handle even the most complex cases and help you win restitution. Our clients benefit from responsive representation; we provide satisfactory answers to all their questions until the matter is resolved. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form