Putting someone in a nursing home is a difficult decision to make. Matters are even more difficult when you find out that your loved one was abused during their residency. If a loved one has suffered nursing home abuse, you may be able to recover monetary damages. A Eunice nursing home abuse lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers will guide you through the legal process.
A lawyer can:
- Investigate your loved one’s living conditions
- Collect evidence of abuse and neglect
- Estimate the cost of your damages
- Negotiate for a fair settlement
- Handle all correspondence with the involved parties
- Take your case to court, if applicable
We encourage you to reach out to our team today because, under Louisiana Civil Code §3492, you only have a limited time to act. Although certain elements may give you more time to act, you do not want to jeopardize your case for compensation. To learn more about your options in a free case review, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we prioritize your loved one’s safety over all else. Even if you suspect that your loved one is being mistreated but have no concrete evidence, we encourage you to reach out to our team. We can look into the details of your loved one’s situation and determine whether they are being treated with respect and dignity.
According to the National Institute on Aging, some forms of elder abuse include:
- Physical abuse. Your Eunice nursing home abuse lawyer can assess your loved one’s medical records to determine if they were subject to violence during their residency. They can also interview other residents and review surveillance footage to learn about your loved one’s treatment.
- Neglect. If your loved one is not having their basic needs met, then that could qualify as neglect. Not being regularly bathed, developing bedsores, and unexplained weight loss could be signs of inadequate care.
- Emotional abuse. Yelling, verbal threats, and intimidation are all forms of emotional abuse that could impact your loved one’s quality of life. Even though emotional abuse may not leave physical signs, it is still compensable.
- Financial abuse. During the course of our investigation, if we find that a caretaker was extorting, begging, or stealing money from your loved one, they can be held accountable for their actions.
- Sexual abuse. This could involve anything from unwanted sexual advances to forcing a senior to watch pornography. Even if a caretaker is charged with a sexually motivated crime, this has no bearing on your ability to file a civil action.
If you think your loved one is being abused in a nursing home, do not hesitate to reach out to Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. We want to treat your case with the compassion and professionalism it deserves. For a free case review, call (337) 777-7777.
For a free legal consultation with a nursing home abuse lawyer serving Eunice, call (337) 777-7777
Recovering Damages in a Nursing Home Abuse Case
Your Eunice nursing home abuse lawyer can advise you on your options for financial recovery as your case develops. Compensable damages vary from case to case.
For example, if your loved one was able to survive their abuse, you may be able to recover costs associated with:
- Their medical bills
- The cost of transferring to a new care facility
- Therapy to address instances of abuse
- Lost wages, if you had to miss time from work to care for your loved one
- Pain and suffering and inconvenience
However, some seniors are not able to survive their abuse. In fact, according to the National Council on Aging, seniors who undergo abuse die 300% sooner than their counterparts who are well-treated.
If you are a qualifying representative filing a wrongful death claim, beneficiaries can recover:
- Your loved one’s end-of-life medical bills
- Funeral, burial/cremation, and memorial expenses
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of income, such as disability payments or Social Security
- Emotional trauma
This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of damages. You may be able to recover the cost of items that we have not included here.
Eunice Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Considerations in a Nursing Home Abuse Case
You may reflect on your loved one’s situation and feel hopeless when it comes to promoting their wellbeing. Yet, this does not have to be the case. There are some measures you can take on your loved one’s behalf to promote a smooth legal process.
Consider taking the following steps:
- Document every instance of suspected abuse, including the date of when each event occurred
- Write down the names of witnesses and those responsible for your loved one’s care
- Report your suspicions to the nursing home’s administration
- Make regular visits to the nursing home to monitor your loved one’s condition
Your Eunice nursing home abuse lawyer can share additional measures you can take to promote your case’s success.
We Work on a Contingency-Fee Basis
Despite the validity of their concerns, many people do not seek legal assistance in a nursing home abuse case because of fears associated with cost. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we work on what is known as a contingency-fee basis, meaning that payment for our services is “contingent” on your case’s success. If we cannot recover compensation for you and your family, then you are not responsible for our attorney’s fees.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Seek Justice Today
During your free case review, we want to hear about your legal goals, your loved one’s life, and the trauma they endured. We are committed to helping you and your family move on from this stressful time. The sooner you reach out to us, the sooner we can get started advocating on your loved one’s behalf.
To connect with a member of our team, call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777.