How long it takes to negotiate a workers’ compensation settlement depends on a variety of factors. The timeline will vary according to your injuries, the settlement process, and the number of times an offer is renegotiated. It also depends on the amount of time it takes to complete and submit your application and if your application is initially accepted or rejected.
When we represent you in a workers’ compensation case, we will help you prove the cause of your injury or the nature of your workplace disease. You are never alone in your fight for financial and medical benefits. Our legal team also gathers personal and medical evidence, helps you complete and submit your application, and files an appeal on your behalf if your application is rejected.
Your Workers’ Compensation Settlement Requires Approval
Part of the reason why workers’ compensation settlements are unpredictable is because they require approval from a Workers’ Compensation Judge. The judge will only approve your settlement if:
- The settlement is beneficial for all involved parties
- A minimum of six months has passed from the conclusion of certain benefits, according to RS 23:1271
If all involved parties agree, the waiting period can be waived, which can move the process along more quickly. Another factor that can affect the settlement timeline is your employer. If the employer alleges that you contributed to your injuries or contests your right to benefits for any reason, your settlement timeline may be lengthened.
Workers’ Compensation Deadlines
While the amount of time it will take to settle your workers’ compensation case will vary greatly, some factors of your case have time requirements that must be met. According to Louisiana Workforce Commission guidelines, these include:
- Seven days: The amount of time you must be unable to work to qualify for benefits
- Ten days: The amount of time you have to notify your employer of your injury or diagnosis
- One year: The amount of time you have to submit the required request form
There are also a specific number of days by which you must receive responses and payments after certain conditions have been met. When our team represents you, we make sure you understand not only your rights and responsibilities but those of your employer as well.
For a free legal consultation, call (337) 777-7777
The Role We Play in Your Workers’ Compensation Settlement
On our case results page, you can see a history of the verdicts and settlements we have achieved for injured clients, including an injured maritime worker who won $5,500,000. When we fight for your settlement, we will make sure that your current and future needs are included when assessing the value of your case. Our goal is to ensure that you can meet your needs and support yourself and your family.
How We Prepare Your Settlement Case
Our primary goal when we represent you is to prove the connection between your job and your illness or injury. In addition, we take care of the following tasks:
- Review your medical records and bills
- Consult medical and industry experts
- Assign a financial value to your case
- Complete and file required claim forms
Let us handle the insurance company for you and deal with the mountain of paperwork involved in reaching a workers’ compensation settlement. We will also represent you at any hearings or mediation sessions and work hard to negotiate a favorable settlement for you.
Your Recovery Matters to Our Entire Team
When previous clients share their experiences with our workers’ compensation team, they say things like:
- “Everyone was very polite and helped me to get more than I was expecting. They really went all out for me and helped me to get back on the road…Because of them I was able to do my day-to-day activities without worrying about a thing.” – Anthony Parker
- “Scott Higgins and especially his paralegal Kathy have kept in touch with me throughout my ordeal! Kathy has gone beyond her job to check on me before my surgery and after to make sure I was okay…I highly recommend Mr. Higgins…He’s very laid-back but gets the job done!” – Sherry Darcey
- “On several occasions I’ve needed questions answered and Kimberly has always been right there to assist. She’s been patient and kind. It’s nice to know that I can call Laborde Earles, and I’ll be taken care of and treated like family.” – Roxanne Stewart
We work hard to build relationships with our clients and to champion their fight for the medical and financial benefits they deserve.
Review Your Workers’ Compensation Case Now
If you or someone you love were injured or became ill on the job, we can help you learn how long it takes to negotiate a workers’ compensation settlement. We can also help you complete and submit your application or file an appeal if your initial application was denied. Contact our workers’ compensation team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today by calling (337) 777-7777.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form