Getting into an accident with an 18-wheeler can be a harrowing experience—one that often leaves behind serious injuries and mounting medical bills. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in an accident with a large vehicle, you may be entitled to compensation. A Mandeville 18-wheeler accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is ready to help you fight for justice.
If you believe that someone else’s negligence caused your accident, they need to be held accountable. Our team can help you pursue the compensation you deserve in a personal injury case.
How an 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer Can Assist You
While you are not required to hire a lawyer, a Mandeville 18-wheeler accident attorney can calculate your losses, gather evidence to build the strongest possible case, and seek compensation on your behalf.
You shouldn’t have to worry about legal matters while you’re trying to recover. A lawyer from our team can manage them all for you, including:
- Handling all communications on your behalf: There is no need for you to talk to insurance companies, other drivers, or anyone else involved in the case. We can talk to everyone for you and keep you updated on any progress.
- Fighting for fair compensation: Your attorney will calculate fair compensation and then help you fight for it. We can field any settlement offers and go back to the negotiations table if the offers are inadequate.
- Holding all liable parties accountable: There could be multiple parties at fault for your 18-wheeler accident and the harm you suffered as a result. It’s our job to ensure that we hold all liable parties accountable for the pain they caused you.
- Investigating the parties involved: For example, we can investigate the driver to see if they have a history of accidents. We can check out the cargo owner to see if they have broken any rules before. Your lawyer can even check with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration to see if a trucking company has any prior safety complaints.
If Your 18-Wheeler Accident Case Goes to Trial
You may have heard that many accident cases never go to trial—but rest assured that our attorneys are always ready to make your case in court if needed. If we do go to trial, your lawyer will prepare you for the proceedings and then tell your story to the judge and jury.
For a free legal consultation with a 18-wheeler accident lawyer serving Mandeville, call (337) 777-7777
Potentially Liable Parties in an 18-Wheeler Accident
Your case could have multiple liable parties. In most accident cases, we first consider the driver of the other vehicle (in this case, the 18-wheeler). Were they driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol? Were they distracted by their phone or eating behind the wheel? Were they too tired to safely operate their vehicle?
These questions are all important, but the driver of the 18-wheeler is often not the only person to focus on. Other liable parties in your case could include:
- The trucking company the driver works for
- The truck manufacturer
- The owner of the cargo
- The manufacturer of a faulty part
- A maintenance company that failed to spot a mechanical problem
- A driver of another vehicle who caused the accident
It’s important for us to figure out exactly how the accident occurred and who’s to blame. Sometimes, that means multiple parties could be held accountable.
Mandeville 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Pursuing Compensation After an 18-Wheeler Accident
When you pursue compensation, you generally pursue two types of damages. There are economic damages, which have a set financial value based on bills, receipts, and other documentation stemming from the accident. There are also non-economic damages, which do not have a set financial value but are designed to compensate you for any trauma that you and your family have experienced.
Economic damages may include compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Future medical care and rehabilitation
- Vehicle repair or replacement
- Lost income and missed paychecks
- Lost future earning potential
While these damages help make up for the costs of the accident and its aftermath, non-economic damages compensate you for the emotional toll the accident has taken on you and your loved ones. These may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement and disability
An 18-wheeler accident attorney in Mandeville can help you fight for all the damages you deserve.
Pursuing Wrongful Death Damages
If your loved one passed away due to injuries sustained in an 18-wheeler accident, you could be eligible for wrongful death damages. In accordance with CC Art. 2315.2, you have one year to begin pursuing a wrongful death case. The same statute of limitations applies to a regular personal injury case.
If you pursue wrongful death damages, there are many factors to consider. The economic contribution of your loved one to your household is often a major factor, but loss of companionship, emotional trauma, and more could also be part of the compensation we seek.
Injuries Commonly Suffered in 18-Wheeler Accidents
Any motor vehicle accident carries the risk of serious injury, but accidents involving 18-wheelers and other large vehicles are more likely to cause severe injuries or even death due to their weight. Most of the time, an 18-wheeler is 20 to 30 times the weight of a passenger car, leading to injuries like:
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Broken bones
- Burn injuries
- Loss of a fetus
Many of these injuries have long recovery times. Some remain with you for life, affecting your ability to work or return to activities you once enjoyed. If another party’s negligence caused this kind of harm to you or a loved one, they should be held accountable.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Get Your Free Legal Consultation Today
If you or a family member suffered injuries in an accident with an 18-wheeler, do not delay. Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today to learn how a Mandeville 18-wheeler accident lawyer can assist you with your case. Our case evaluation is free, but the chance to learn more about your legal options could prove to be invaluable.