Suffering a dog bite is not what anyone expects to happen when they go out. If a strange dog on the street bit you, it could cause great stress due to its suddenness and shock. It might be even more worrying if a familiar dog bites you.
Either way, you likely have some injuries after a dog bite occurs. Whether your dog bite injuries are minor or severe, you deserve to recover financial damages from the situation.
A Mandeville dog bite lawyer can assist you with obtaining compensation from injuries due to a dog bite. If you are injured from a dog bite, you probably have expenses that go along with it. Our personal injury team can advocate for you to receive fair compensation.
Dog Bite Laws Could Affect Your Mandeville Personal Injury Case
There is a specific law in Louisiana concerning dog bites. LA CC Art. 2321 states that the dog owner is responsible for any injuries and damages caused by their dog, but only if certain conditions are met. These conditions are:
- If the dog owner knew (or should have known based on certain behaviors or circumstances) that their dog could cause damage to another person, and they didn’t do anything to prevent it, they are liable. They must put their dog away when people are around or ensure that the dog is restrained.
- If someone provokes a dog, the dog owner is not responsible for the results.
Your lawyer will help you understand your rights. They will also work to prove the owner was responsible for the dog’s actions.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving Mandeville, call (337) 777-7777
Steps To Take After a Dog Bite Incident in Mandeville Resulting in Injuries
If you recently went through a dog bite incident, you may want to take some steps to help facilitate a smoother legal case. These steps are as follows:
- If you know the dog has a history of aggression, write down all the evidence regarding that. For example, if you saw the dog growling or nipping in the past, make a note of your recollection.
- Also, take notes about what you were doing right before the attack. In other words, were you sitting calmly talking to someone, standing up, walking, etc.? This helps prove you weren’t provoking the dog.
- Make sure you seek medical attention and document all the health care you receive. You can take pictures of the injuries as well.
- Talk to your lawyer about the incident and get a free case evaluation.
Mandeville Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Your Attorney’s Role in a Mandeville Dog Bite Case
In a dog bite case, your attorney will:
- Manage all the communications and paperwork involved in filing a lawsuit
- Ensure that all the facts in your case are properly researched
- Interview witnesses to the incident
- Investigate the medical records
- Calculate the value of your damages
- Negotiate and deal with insurers and third parties
- Keep you updated
- Answer your questions
- Defend your rights
- Walk you through the entire process
Speak with your legal professionals about what lies ahead of you in your dog bite case. Our team will commit itself to your case.
Potential Injuries From a Dog Bite That Could Entitle You To Damages
There are a range of injuries you might have after a dog bite. The severity depends on:
- The size and weight of the dog
- How many times the dog bit you
- If the dog jumped on you and scratched you
- If you were knocked over and sustained additional injuries aside from the bite wound
As you can see, some people will have more injuries than others based on these factors. Some potential injuries you could sustain include:
- Deep bite wounds
- Strained or sprained leg (if you get knocked down)
- Possible broken bone or hairline fracture
- Neck injury
- Facial or dental damage
There may be other injuries that occur and are not listed here. If so, be sure to tell your lawyer about them.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Are the Damages Possibly Available in a Dog Bite Case?
You may have several damages in a dog bite situation, including the bills and expenses from the medical attention you sought. You also can claim monetary wage losses from the time away from work or losses from future income you suffer. This includes lost benefits, too. In addition to financial losses, there is also pain and suffering you could be compensated for.
Our team has handled many dog bite cases in the past and can tell you about other possible losses you could be compensated for. You might be unaware of all the options for financial recovery that you could benefit from.
Is There a Time Limit to File a Dog Bite Injury Lawsuit in Louisiana?
Every state has statute of limitations, which indicates the amount of time accident victims have to file a lawsuit. Louisiana’s deadlines for a personal injury lawsuit is one year from the date of the dog bite under Louisiana Civil Code § 3492. Consult with your dog bite lawyer taking cases in Mandeville, so you can get started on filing the lawsuit promptly.
Are Dog Bite Incidents Common?
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, millions of dog bites occur annually in the United States. These dog bites can range from serious to mild in nature. Some people have life-threatening injuries, while others have severe injuries that require medical attention. About 800,000 people need to go to the emergency room for help after a dog bite.
If you or a family member suffered a dog bite, turn to our team for support.
Contact a Mandeville Dog Bite Legal Team for a Free Consultation
Connect with Laborde Earles Law Firm to get started on filing a claim for damages. Our team will give you a free case evaluation and let you know what to expect in your fight for justice and damages after a dog bite caused by an owner’s negligence. Call today!
You will not have to pay our team anything upfront or provide payment for hourly fees. We work on a contingency-fee basis. So, you won’t have to pay us until the end of the case. Our fee comes out of the award we win for you. We can help with many kinds of accidents and injuries in the Mandeville area, like car accidents and slip and falls.