A catastrophic injury is legally defined as “a severe injury to the spine, spinal cord, or brain, typically one that affects the nervous system.” Although it may be hard to establish the differences between a catastrophic injury and other devastating injuries, victims of catastrophic injuries often require lifelong medical care and assistance. Additionally, catastrophic injuries are so severe that the victim usually cannot return to work, faces enormous medical bills, and can’t enjoy life the way they once did.
If you or someone you love suffered a catastrophic injury that you believe was due to negligence or recklessness, contact a Lafayette catastrophic injury lawyer. A dedicated personal injury attorney from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers will examine the details of your accident and begin building your case.
Should I Hire a Lawyer for a Catastrophic Injury Case?
You should seriously consider hiring a lawyer for a catastrophic injury case. You generally have one opportunity to seek coverage for a serious injury. If you don’t take full advantage of that opportunity, then you may fail to collect the financial recovery that you need and deserve.
But can’t I just handle my case on my own? Why do I need a lawyer?
There Are Several Risks in Handling Your Case Alone
If you’re considering handling your catastrophic injury case without a lawyer, you may not have fully considered the weight of a lawsuit. Even insurance claims can be a significant drain on your time, energy, and well-being.
By representing yourself (called pro se representation), you may:
- Quickly realize the demands of a lawsuit or claim: It may not take long for you to find out that your case is far more demanding than you initially thought.
- Compromise your physical, psychological, and emotional health: You’re dealing with a catastrophic Your health, or your loved one’s health, is already compromised. The psychological and physical demands of a lawsuit or claim may further deteriorate your health.
- Compromise the strength of your case: The strongest cases result from consistent effort and complete focus. You may not have the time or resources to give your case the attention it requires. The quality of your case may suffer as a result.
- Incur significant financial expenses: Our firm bears all the upfront costs of our clients’ cases. If you handle your case on your own, all case-related expenses may come from your own pocket.
- Lose your case: Even with all the time and effort you spend on your case, you could still lose.
Hiring a lawyer is not a guarantee that you’ll win your case. However, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers brings much to the table—legal experience in Lafayette, a strong track record, and significant resources, among other assets.
For a free legal consultation with a catastrophic injuries lawyer serving Lafayette, call (337) 223-9925
Why Choose Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for Your Catastrophic Injury Case?
You’ll see advertisements for other personal injury firms serving Lafayette. We believe that Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers brings something unique to our clients. Our combination of Louisiana roots, compassion for catastrophic injury victims, and legal tenacity set us apart.
You don’t have to take our word for it…take our clients’ words for it:
- “I was feeling more and more pain and went to the doctor. I had two surgeries in my neck and my back. I made an appointment with David and it was a real good experience. He worked with me all the way and was like a good friend in a time of need. I don’t think anybody could have done a better job than he did.” – Keith, former client
- “I knew the hospital bill was going to be way more than we could imagine. Digger helped me a lot. If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t be in the position I am right now. I would have nothing. He took care of everything for me. Digger got me back on my feet.” – Carl, former client injured seriously in a car accident
Our team will identify all of your losses and seek fair coverage. We will investigate your case, including the cause of your catastrophic injury.
Lafayette Catastrophic Injuries Lawyer Near Me (337) 223-9925
Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Although catastrophic injuries can occur almost anywhere, some of the most common causes include:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Offshore accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Construction site accidents
- Severe dog bites
You can seek justice regardless of the cause of your or a loved one’s catastrophic injury.
Catastrophic Injury Claims
Due to the nature of catastrophic injuries, the damages awarded to a successful plaintiff in a catastrophic injury case are often substantial. Damages can include compensation for medical expenses, lost income, loss of enjoyment of life, loss of consortium and more.
Furthermore, losses that do not have a clear monetary value, like loss of lifestyle or pain and suffering, can be hard to quantify. Nevertheless, our firm will calculate your non-economic damages. In catastrophic injury cases, non-economic damages can be significant.
Under CC Art. 2323, if the defendant claims that the injuries were partially the plaintiff’s fault, the damages awarded to the plaintiff may be reduced by the percentage of fault they bore for their own injuries. For example, if a plaintiff was found to be 15 percent responsible for their own injuries, they could recover a maximum of 85 percent of their final damage award. A capable lawyer will contest any claim that you’re at fault for your injuries.
For a plaintiff’s catastrophic injury claim to be successful, they must generally establish the following three points:
- The defendant had a responsibility to keep the plaintiff safe and failed to do so.
- The neglect of the defendant’s responsibility to the plaintiff—whether intentional or unintentional—directly caused the catastrophic injury.
- The injury has resulted in significant and compensable physical damages.
We understand that no amount of money can erase a catastrophic injury. However, a financial recovery can be a substantial help to you and your loved ones.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Catastrophic Injuries and Insurance Settlements
Before accepting an insurance settlement that might be too low, it is important to understand the value of your claim. A catastrophic injury lawyer in Lafayette will investigate your case and determine fair compensation for your losses. Our firm can:
- Obtain documents to prove injury—for example, medical records, medical bills, police reports, and proof of lost time at work
- Work with police to acquire video of the accident from nearby security cameras
- Interview witnesses
- Consult medical experts to determine the extent and duration of injuries
Our firm will handle every step of your catastrophic injury case.
Iberia Parish Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
Catastrophic injuries are life-altering injuries that often involve permanent disability or disfigurement. Common examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Third-degree burns
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- Loss of limbs
If a catastrophic injury victim dies as a result of the accident, the surviving family members may seek compensation through a wrongful death lawsuit.
Pursuing Compensation in Iberia Parish
Most catastrophic injuries are the result of accidents, and the at-fault party may not have intended to cause harm. However, accident victims can still seek compensation if the responsible person or company was negligent.
Under CC Art. 2315, if a person causes damage to another, the actor must repair the victim. That means that whoever caused the accident to occur must compensate the victim for all their losses. If the victim had any role in causing their own injury, their recovery is reduced by their percentage of fault. For example, if the victim was 20 percent responsible for an accident, they could only recover 80 percent of their damages.
Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations, or prescription period, is the time limit for filing a lawsuit. Under CC Art. 3492, accident victims generally have one year from the date of their injuries to bring a claim. Contacting an Iberia Parish catastrophic injury attorney as quickly as possible after an accident can be essential to the success of your case.
Damages Related to Catastrophic Injuries
There are often significant expenses associated with a catastrophic injury. A victim may require extensive rehabilitation, physical and occupational therapy, and numerous corrective surgeries. At the same time, the injured person may be unable to work in their previous occupations or be completely disabled. Catastrophic injury victims can pursue compensation for all their losses, including but not limited to:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost future wages
- Loss of consortium, service, and society
A catastrophic injury attorney serving Iberia Parish can help you identify all of your losses and demand fair compensation. Insurance companies may be quick to offer a settlement, but initial offers are often insufficient to cover future expenses.
Consulting a Lafayette Catastrophic Injury Attorney
If you suffer from a catastrophic injury or lost a loved one due to someone’s negligence, a Lafayette catastrophic injury lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can lead your case for awards. Client-focused lawyers are standing by to fight for your rights, so call today to schedule a consultation at (337) 777-7777.