The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) stated that in 2017, there were 2,598 two-vehicle fatal crashes involving a motorcycle and another type of vehicle. In 42 percent (1,098) of these crashes, the other vehicles were turning left while the motorcycles were going straight, passing, or overtaking other vehicles.
It can be a very stressful time after a motorcycle accident. Instead of concentrating on recovering from your injuries, you might be dealing with settling huge medical care bills, calls from insurance companies, or lost wages. If your motorcycle accident occurs in Delcambre, Louisiana, due to the negligence of another motorist, a motorcycle accident lawyer can help with the claim process as you heal and recover.
Steps to Follow After a Motorcycle Accident
The action you take after a motorcycle accident may determine the outcome of your claim. It is important to follow these steps after the accident to safeguard your rights:
- Seek medical care and assess for injuries – Call the paramedics immediately after your motorcycle accident if you and the others involved in the accident appear to be injured. Even if the injuries seem minor, make sure you still seek medical treatment to be sure that your injuries do not get worse.
- Contact the police – It’s required by law to inform the police of any severe accidents. Furthermore, getting police officers at the accident scene is essential for building a strong injury claim case. Police at the scene must write an accident report, which you can present as evidence during your case.
- Collect insurance and personal information – At the accident scene, it’s important to collect contact details, license numbers, and insurance information of the other motorists involved. For further follow-up, also collect the contact details of eyewitnesses. Your Delcambre motorcycle accident lawyer may also request video footage from nearby businesses as they gather evidence to build a solid case.
- Call your lawyer – Contacting a lawyer after your motorcycle accident is crucial as it can contribute to either your claim being rejected or receiving a fair settlement. Your lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation to prove liability before filing a claim against the at fault party.
- Notify your insurance provider – You should seek legal counsel before contacting your insurance company. After hiring a lawyer, notify your insurer if you want to pursue recoverable damages. Don’t issue a statement to an insurance agent before consulting your lawyer. The language you use to describe your accident can affect the outcome of your case.
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer serving Delcambre, call (337) 777-7777
Why Hire a Delcambre Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, you might consider hiring a Delcambre motorcycle accident lawyer to pursue compensation on your behalf. Hiring a lawyer can make the difference between your injury claims being rejected or receiving maximum compensation. A lawyer will conduct an investigation and gather evidence to show liability in order to fight on your behalf for a fair settlement.
If a driver is negligent, it means they failed to behave with a level of care required to operate an automobile, as indicated by the Legal Information Institute (LII). Your lawyer will assess your case and advise on the legal options you have if you decide to file an injury claim. Here are other ways a motorcycle accident lawyer can assist you with your claim:
One of the challenging parts of a motorcycle accident is demonstrating that another party’s negligence caused your injuries. Proving liability is a crucial part of the motorcycle accident, as the victim has a right to compensation. Your lawyer will assess the evidence to determine the party at fault and build a strong argument for your case. The following are types of evidence the lawyer may collect to prove liability:
- Obtaining the accident report from the police
- Requesting medical records from your doctors
- Collecting eyewitness statements
- Consulting medical experts to confirm the seriousness of your injuries
- Seeking the services of an accident scene reconstruction expert
Handle the Insurance Company on Your Behalf
As you recover, your lawyer will handle all the details concerning your case, including meeting with the insurer on your behalf and having legal representation before the insurance company can impact your claim. Your lawyer will work on your case by doing the following:
- Holding negotiations with the insurance adjuster
- Assisting in preparing verbal and written statements created for your benefit
- Safeguarding your best interests against the insurance company to ensure you receive the settlement you deserve for your injuries
- Handling all the specifics of your claim
Estimate the Value of Your Claim
An important responsibility of your lawyer is making sure you receive compensation based on the true value of your claim. Insurance companies often offer minimum compensation that cannot always cover victims’ damages. Since your lawyer has handled countless motorcycle claims, they’re aware of the true value of your claim and will not agree to a settlement that doesn’t compensate the full extent of your damages.
To ensure you receive maximum compensation, your lawyer will calculate the value of your claim based on:
- Past and future projected medical bills
- Lost wages and future anticipated lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Motorcycle or vehicle repairs or replacement
Represent You in Court
A significant benefit of hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer is that they can advise you on all of the legal options available for your claim. If the insurance company is not ready to offer a reasonable compensation amount, your lawyer will file a personal injury lawsuit. Filing a lawsuit may push the insurance adjuster to provide a fair settlement, before the case proceeds to court. However, if an out-of-court settlement fails, your lawyer will collect sufficient evidence and build a strong case against the insurer.
Delcambre Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Statute of Limitation
In Louisiana, per the Personal Injury Statute of Limitations CC Art. 3492, a victim should file a claim for damages within a year of the date the motorcycle accident occurred. You are eligible to pursue monetary compensation if a motorcycle accident happened due to another driver’s negligence.
The one-year statute of limitation also applies to a wrongful death claim and begins on the date that the victim died. Your lawyer will advise you on the statute of limitation that applies to your claim and file the claim before the period expires.
Contact Us Today to Schedule a Free Consultation
Consult Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers if you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Delcambre. We’re ready to protect your rights during the claim process and ensure you receive a just settlement. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.