According to the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS), large trucks can weigh as much as 30 times more than that of a passenger car. When these two vehicles collide, the results can be disastrous. The size and weight of these trucks can make these accidents deadly. Nationwide, a total of 4,136 people passed away as a result of these traumatic collisions in 2018, the IIHS notes.
If you have been injured or a loved one passed away as a result of a truck accident, you do not have to take on this legal burden alone. The team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is dedicated to helping you navigate this difficult time. When you work with a Coteau Holmes truck accident lawyer, we can take the necessary steps to pursue monetary recovery on your behalf so that you may move forward with your life. You should not be placed under any undue financial burden for an accident that you did not cause.
For a free consultation, call Laborde Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777.
A Truck Accident Lawyer Can Take Over Your Case
Lawyers can be especially valuable for those who have losses from a truck accident. Our team can handle the entirety of your legal case to yield a favorable result.
When you work with us, the central role of your lawyer will be to:
- Initiate timely legal action
- Communicate with the other party’s insurance company
- Promptly file paperwork to the appropriate venues
- Discuss your accident with you in person or over the phone to get a clear record of what happened
- Seek out evidence that will help bolster your case
- Estimate the value of your claim
- Represent you before a judge, should we be unable to reach an agreement out of court
A central question in your case will be whether the defendant’s negligence caused your accident. By seeking out and examining evidence, your lawyer will be able to lay out a strategy to prove that they acted carelessly.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accident lawyer serving Coteau Holmes, call (337) 777-7777
Your Case May Feature More Than One Responsible Party
When a motorist acts recklessly, they put other drivers, passengers, and pedestrians at risk of harm. By doing so, they open themselves up to liability for any accident that their actions may cause.
Some of the most common ways that drivers act negligently include:
- Texting while driving. A study from Virginia Tech University found that text messaging while driving made the risk of an accident more than 23% higher.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that this factor is present in 26% of all traffic fatalities.
- Driving under the influence. Intoxication or fatigue can greatly impact a driver’s ability to operate a vehicle safely. Each day, 30 people in the U.S. die in drunk driving accidents, according to the NHTSA.
- Poor judgment or error. Truckers must have endorsements and licensing to operate a large truck for commercial purposes. Inexperience or carelessness that results in a collision can prove detrimental to their career.
In some cases, it is not just the driver that is negligent, but the company that oversees the individual trucker. This doctrine is known as “respondeat superior,” which is known as a vicarious liability law that can result in the truck company being held responsible for its’ employee’s actions.
Some ways that a trucking company may be negligent include:
- Hiring inexperienced, unqualified, or otherwise unfit drivers
- Failing to monitor the maintenance of company vehicles
- Creating unreasonable schedules or demands that encourage unsafe practices
Finally, we may also be able to pursue the company that manufactured the truck in question that caused your accident. For example, if the truck’s steering system suffered a defect that made it impossible for the driver to avoid the accident, the manufacturer may be responsible for your damages. To do this, a Coteau Holmes truck accident lawyer must prove the truck itself was not altered or modified in any way and was serving its intended purpose.
When you work with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we take on the responsibility of determining who or what contributed to your accident. We may be able to investigate parties other than those we have listed here. Call (337) 777-7777 to discuss your next steps toward economic justice.
Coteau Holmes Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Compensation Could Cover the Cost of Your Damages
Your attorney’s job is to demonstrate how the other party’s negligence resulted in your expenses. If successful, you may be able to collect compensation for your losses.
Every claim is different. However, your monetary awards may cover:
- Medical expenses, including emergency transportation, medications, and treatments
- Wages that you have lost due to the accident and the subsequent recovery period
- Any long-term disability or diminished ability to earn the amount that you did before the accident
- Treatment for psychological trauma caused by the collision
- Loss of consortium, if the benefits from a marital or familial relationship were lost due to injuries sustained in the crash
- Wrongful death, if a loved one’s injuries contributed to their passing
You may be entitled to more awards not listed here. A legal professional can work with you to determine what else your compensation can cover.
Click to contact our Coteau Holmes Truck Accident Lawyers today
Call Our Team at Laborde Injury Lawyers Today
In Louisiana, you have one year from the date of your accident to file a civil action against the other party, according to the statute of limitations. The same statute goes for wrongful death claims as well; you have one year from the date of your loved one’s passing to pursue litigation. However, depending on who was involved in your collision may alter this window of action. This is where a lawyer becomes a valuable resource.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, our Coteau Holmes truck accident lawyers are determined to help you get your life back on track. We offer free, no-obligation consultations to those wondering more about what we can do for you. For more information, call (337) 777-7777.