Pedestrians face a significantly higher risk of severe accident-related injuries compared to motorists. They’re often left with permanent and life-changing injuries and thousands of dollars in medical bills.
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, you can seek compensation. A Coteau Holmes pedestrian accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help.
How a Coteau Holmes Pedestrian Attorney Can Help
The aftermath of a pedestrian accident will be challenging in different ways. You may be dealing with significant injuries, months of recovery, and high medical bills. You don’t have to seek compensation on your own, though. Our firm can handle your case from start to finish while you recover from your injuries.
Here are some ways a Coteau Holmes pedestrian accident lawyer can help:
- Determine if you have a case, whether you should file it with a state or federal judge, and file the lawsuit on your behalf
- Collect all the evidence you need to prove your case, including eyewitness accounts, police reports, your medical records, video and photo evidence, and prevailing traffic conditions at the time of the crash
- Consult with different medical professionals to determine the full extent of your injuries and their predicted effect on your life quality
- Determine the damages you’re entitled to and calculate the total amount of compensation you’re owed using your medical records and data collected from medical experts
- Negotiate with insurance providers for a favorable settlement and argue your case in court if needed
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Where Are Pedestrian Accidents More Likely to Occur?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), road accidents involving pedestrians tend to happen more frequently in urban areas. More specifically, they tend to be concentrated in on-road sections that don’t have intersections. Most pedestrian accidents took place in urban areas (81%), and most fatal pedestrian accidents happened at night.
In 2018, the agency reported that 74% of fatal pedestrian accidents occurred in on-road sections with no intersections. Pedestrian accidents also occur in parking areas, driveways, sidewalks, medians, parking lanes, bicycle lanes, and roadsides.
Children aged 14 and younger face a significantly higher risk of pedestrian accidents as they don’t understand traffic rules and are harder to spot due to their small size. Older and alcohol-impaired pedestrians also face a high degree of risk as they tend to have slower reactions.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Pedestrian Accidents Can Result From Another Party’s Negligence
To determine liability in your case, your Coteau Holmes pedestrian accident lawyer will investigate the cause of the accident, which could be due to the following reasons:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This slows perception and reactions, increasing the likelihood of crashing into pedestrians
- Distracted or inattentive driving. This may include driving while tired, texting while driving, and focusing on the music or the passengers rather than the road.
- Ignoring traffic laws. This includes making sudden turns, running red lights and stop signs, and driving on the shoulder or sidewalk to avoid traffic.
- Reckless pedestrians. Pedestrians may ignore traffic lights, cross highways or roadways without a crosswalk, or dart suddenly into traffic and cause an accident.
- Dangerous road conditions. Negligence by authorities could lead to issues like broken traffic signals, blind sharp turns, potholes, poorly set up intersections, and no crosswalks or sidewalks, increasing the chances of pedestrian accidents.
- Defective vehicles. Problems like tire blowouts and brake failures could cause motorists to lose control of their vehicles and lead to pedestrian accidents.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
Who Can You Hold Liable For a Pedestrian Accident?
Your attorney will examine the circumstances of your case to determine the party whose actions directly led to the accident. In some cases, various parties are liable.
For example, suppose a motorist acts negligently, such as failing to yield at a traffic light or crosswalk or driving their vehicle along the sidewalk. In that case, they’ll be liable for damages if they injure a pedestrian. You can also sue the local authorities in charge of roads if dangerous road conditions led to the accident.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Compensation in Pedestrian Accident Claims
Pedestrian accident victims can seek various damages. Some economic damages include:
- Past and future treatment costs
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
Surviving family members can also seek wrongful death damages if the victim lost their life in the accident. Awards may cover funeral and burial expenses, the deceased’s medical bills, and a variety of non-economical damages.
Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, which compensate for the physical pain and emotional anguish the accident victim was forced to endure. Emotional pain and suffering cover fear, anxiety, grief, insomnia, anger, and psychological trauma.
Act Quickly After a Pedestrian Accident in Coteau Holmes
If negotiations with insurers fail, legal action is an alternative. We may even suggest filing a lawsuit against a liable party from the start. According to CC 3492, Louisiana’s personal injury statute of limitations is one year. If you miss this deadline, you could see the court dismiss your personal injury lawsuit.
We can help you meet this deadline as long as you call us soon enough.
Let Our Coteau Holmes Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Help
Has a pedestrian accident left you injured and saddled with thousands of dollars in treatment costs? Did your loved one recently lose their life in a pedestrian accident?
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys have more than 350 years of combined legal experience and have recovered more than $200 million in settlements and damages for clients. Contact us today for a free case review.