Rideshare apps like Uber provide a service to many people throughout Louisiana. Across the country, more and more people choose to ride with Uber instead of driving drunk. Uber is a convenient, affordable, and quick way to get from place to place. It is not without drawbacks, however. Because so many people want to use Uber’s services, Uber needs to hire more and more drivers.
Unfortunately, these drivers do not always exercise caution and due care on the road. If you have been injured in an Uber accident due to driver negligence, a Coteau Holmes Uber lawyer may be able to help you understand your legal rights and the best way forward.
Should I Make a Claim?
If you are injured as a passenger in an Uber vehicle, there are several claims you could make to recover your damages. These include:
- A claim against the driver of the Uber vehicle (that you were riding in)
- A claim against another driver (if they were negligent)
- A claim against Uber
While all of these claims can be appropriate, a Coteau Holmes Uber accident lawyer may be able to help you decide which is best for your situation and what damages you can claim.
For a free legal consultation with a uber accident lawyer serving Coteau Holmes, call (337) 777-7777
Damages You Can Recover
If you were injured because of an Uber driver’s negligence, you are likely eligible to claim various damages. While the process can be complicated, many Uber accident victims have claimed the following:
- Medical expenses, including treatments, tests, surgeries, prescriptions, and more
- Car repair bills and car rental bills (if applicable)
- Lost wages due to injury
- Lost earning capacity (if an injury has left a victim unable to complete their work to the same standard)
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
You may be eligible to recover one or more of these damages. A Coteau Holmes Uber accident lawyer can help you determine the best course of action.
Coteau Holmes Uber Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Mistakes to Avoid After an Uber Accident
As scary as a car accident can be, unexpected medical bills and injuries can be even scarier. If you are involved in an Uber accident, it pays to keep a level head. First, make sure that you and others are safe. Then, try to leave yourself in a legally beneficial position by avoiding the following mistakes:
- Do not acknowledge, admit, or accept any portion of fault for the accident. No matter what happened, you are only helping the insurance company by apologizing. Kind words at the time of an accident can be brought up later on, even in court, and end up costing you in a significant way. It is best to say less in many of these circumstances.
- Do not sign any agreements or settlements without reviewing them with an attorney. In accident cases, the insurance company wants to settle for as little as possible. They are looking to take advantage of your lack of legal knowledge. Do not play into their hands by signing the first settlement you are offered. A Coteau Holmes Uber accident lawyer can review the settlement and help you determine your next course of action.
- Do not try to tough out painful injuries. It is important to acknowledge and treat any ailments you suffer after the accident. Medical treatment is essential for your recovery. However, it is also important to provide evidence for an insurance claim or lawsuit down the line.
Uber’s Insurance Policies
Uber has a complicated series of insurance policies. Depending on the driver’s status at the time of the accident, up to three different amounts of insurance coverage can come from two potential sources.
If an Uber driver is taking a passenger to their destination, they are insured by the Uber policy. As you might have guessed, Uber’s insurance provides significantly more coverage than insurance from a traditional driver. In these situations, Uber covers its drivers with $1 million in liability insurance and an additional $1 million in property coverage.
If a driver has their Uber app on, they are considered on the clock. However, if the driver has not accepted a ride, they are covered by their own insurance policy in most cases. Sometimes, Uber will provide contingency insurance. This includes an additional $50,000 in liability coverage alongside $25,000 in property coverage.
If an Uber driver is not working for Uber at the time, they will be covered by their own insurance policy. In this situation, the person is not considered an Uber employee at the time of the accident. The law will usually handle this type of accident like a typical traffic accident.
If you are not sure of the status of the Uber driver at the time of the accident, it is important to find this information. You may be entitled to much more compensation depending on the driver’s status when the accident occurred.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Don’t Delay, File Soon
If you have been injured in an Uber accident, you may be considering a lawsuit. The amount of time allowed to file a lawsuit is referred to as the statute of limitations. For personal injury cases in Louisiana, the statute of limitations is one year as per CC Art. 3492.
One year can pass quickly, so if you are considering filing a lawsuit, it can benefit you to act fast. The sooner your lawyer can get started, the better, as they will have the time needed to collect evidence and build your case.
Get Your Free Case Review with Laborde Earles Law Firm Today
You do not have to go through the aftermath of your accident alone. Injuries, unexpected bills, and more can be extremely difficult on accident victims. Laborde Earles Law Firm is on your side. Sign up today to schedule a free case review. Our team of experienced Coteau Holmes Uber accident lawyers can evaluate your claim at your convenience.
You won’t be charged any legal fees upfront. For Uber accident cases, Laborde Earles Law Firm charges what is called a contingency fee. You will only be charged after you receive compensation (either in a settlement or from court).
Concentrate on your health and well-being while the legal experts at Laborde Earles handle your Uber accident case.
Call us today or fill out our contact form to schedule your free consultation today.