The most popular form of hired vehicle in Lafayette is Uber, with Lyft and taxi companies taking second and third place. Hired vehicles, also known as common carriers, can be a convenient mode of transportation; however, these vehicles are still vulnerable to accidents. Moreover, collisions involving common carriers can be uniquely complex because several different insurance companies may be involved.
If you were hurt in an Uber accident in Lafayette, you might consider seeking help from a Lafayette Uber accident lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. A car accident attorney from our firm can help you identify the responsible parties and all available sources of compensation. We offer free, no-obligation case reviews.
How an Attorney Can Help You Build a Strong Uber Accident Case
If you decide to work with a Lafayette Uber accident lawyer from our firm, we offer to do the following to help grow your case:
Identify the Liable Party
Depending on who is involved in the accident, there may be one or more liable parties in your case. For example, Uber may have liability depending on the driver’s app engagement.
In other cases, the Uber driver, a maintenance company, or vehicle manufacturer can be held liable for damages. In some cases, a third party may be responsible for causing or contributing to the accident.
Gather Evidence for Your Case
After an accident, the injured passenger should document as many details as possible while on the accident scene. This could include:
- Contact information for all involved drivers
- Witness statements
- Blackbox information
- Video footage of the accident
- The official crash report
We can help you retrieve evidence. In many instances, we can request information on your behalf if you have not recovered it already.
Calculate Your Uber Accident Damages
You could collect several types of damages after an Uber accident in Lafayette. Our attorneys will identify and make sure to list all of them after reviewing your case.
While some damages such as medical expenses already have established value, others need a value assigned to them, such as pain and suffering. We know what it takes to calculate all the losses a client has experienced—we won’t allow any critical damages to go unaccounted.
Make Sure You File a Lawsuit on Time
Louisiana law sets the deadline for filing a lawsuit against a liable party for car accident injuries. Specifically, you have one year to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit from the day the collision or death occurred, respectively.
Allowing this deadline to pass means you lose your right to take the case to court, which is why our lawyers watch this deadline closely.
Represent You in Communications, Negotiations, and Court
One of our lawyers will serve as your legal representative, meaning they can:
- Handle communications with insurance companies, attorneys, and other involved parties
- Negotiate a potential settlement on your behalf
- Present your case in court to a judge and jury
Throughout the litigation, our team will provide guidance and advice on your legal options. However, you remain in control about what actions you want to take in your case.
Provide Guidance and Support to Help You Make Decisions
You always have the final say in what happens in your case, including whether to accept a settlement offer or go to court. Our lawyers will provide insight into Louisiana law and cases similar to yours that we’ve handled, so you know what to expect and make informed decisions about your case.
For a free legal consultation with a uber accident lawyer serving Lafayette, call (337) 223-9925
What to Expect When You Hire Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers
Client satisfaction is our priority, which is why we offer comprehensive, affordable, and accessible legal services to everyone we represent.
Client Praise for Our Quality Legal Services
Our client feedback reflects the time, resources, and energy we pour into every case to help accident victims move forward:
- “The staff at Laborde & Earles is top notch.” – Kyle
- “I had a very positive experience with Laborde Earles. They provided excellent service, demonstrating professionalism and personal attention to detail.” – Danielle
- “Laborde Earles went above and beyond my expectations. Great experience overall, they understand their clients and my needs were put first.” – Brenda
You might think quality legal services with results like these don’t pay for themselves, but our firm ensures that we minimize any financial burden for clients so they can get back on their feet.
No Upfront, Hourly, or Out-of-Pocket Fees
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we charge nothing to get started on a client’s Uber accident case in Lafayette Parish. Instead, our contingency-fee policy has us collecting payment only if we win a case. Once you hire us, we will:
- Cover all the costs to prepare and pursue your case
- Charge only a percentage of any compensation we win for you
- Take our payment from the settlement or court award, rather than your wallet
- If you do not receive a settlement or court award, you owe us no attorney’s fees
Lafayette Uber Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 223-9925
Uber Drivers Have a Greater Duty of Care for Passengers
First, common carriers have a heightened duty of care to their passengers. While all drivers have a duty to follow the rules of the road and avoid injuring others, those who provide transportation as a service are held to a higher standard.
Liability Coverage Varies in Uber Accidents
Identifying the appropriate insurance company can be difficult after an Uber accident. Drivers and their parent rideshare companies both have insurance coverage, and it can be difficult to determine who is responsible for paying damages.
For this reason, many victims choose to seek help from a Lafayette Uber accident lawyer from our law firm. Our team can review your case and identify who may be held liable for your damages.
Who Is Responsible for Paying an Uber Accident Claim?
If the Uber driver was negligent, the driver’s liability insurance would be responsible for covering damages. However, in some circumstances, Uber might also be held liable for damages.
Determining the responsible parties requires a detailed analysis of the facts of an accident. By law, the liable party in an Uber accident can depend on whether the driver was actively engaged in a ride. For example, the following scenarios have different liable parties:
- The Uber driver was not logged into the app: If the Uber driver was not actively logged into the Uber app when the accident occurred, then Uber would not be held liable for their actions. Instead, the driver’s own auto insurance company would have to cover damages.
- The Uber driver was on their way to pick up a passenger: If the Uber driver was logged into the app and en route to pick up a passenger for a ride when the accident occurred, then Uber may cover for damages if the driver’s liability insurance is not enough to cover damages.
- The Uber driver was actively transporting a passenger: If the Uber driver was giving a passenger a ride at the time of the accident, Uber would be held liable for damages. This may also apply even if a third party caused the accident and not the Uber driver.
Per RS § 45:201.6, Uber and other ridesharing companies (e.g., Lyft) must carry liability coverage should accidents occur. Our legal team can review your accident and identify who the liable party might be in your case. The first step to recovering compensation after an Uber accident is to set up a claim with the responsible insurance company.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages You May Be Able to Recover in an Uber Accident Case
If you suffered injuries in an Uber accident, we could help you recover compensation for various damages, such as:
- Medical treatment expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Current and future loss of income, including benefits if applicable
- Property damage, if applicable (e.g., vehicle damage if you were in another vehicle when you collided with an Uber vehicle)
- Permanent disability, including loss of a bodily function (e.g., vision or hearing)
- Physical disfigurement, such as scarring
- Loss of joy in hobbies and activities
- Emotional anguish
Wrongful Death Damages
If you lost a loved one in an Uber accident, then you may be able to pursue additional losses related to their death. For example, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Funeral costs
- Burial or cremation costs
- Pain and suffering felt by both the decedent (your loved one) and the family
- Loss of income from the decedent
- Loss of parental guidance
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
Losing a loved one can be difficult to cope with while trying to prepare for litigation. Allow our legal team to prepare your wrongful death case on your behalf while you grieve with your family in private.
A Lafayette Uber Accident Attorney on Our Team Wants to Work With You
If you were hurt in a collision with a common carrier, you should consider seeking the services of a Lafayette Uber accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. With help from a dedicated attorney from our team, you may be able to recover fair compensation for your losses. Call (337) 777-7777 today to receive a free consultation.