After a car accident, you can get a copy of your police report online by paying a small monetary fee to Louisiana State Police. A copy of your report can take up to a week to be delivered via email as a downloadable file. Depending on the readiness of your report, it can sometimes be available the same day your request is made.
If you or someone you love was injured in a vehicle collision, our legal team can help you get a police report for a car accident in Louisiana. We also explain why a police report is important to your case and how we use it to compel financial compensation from the at-fault driver or insurer.
Cost of a Crash Report in Louisiana
According to the Louisiana State Police instructions, a copy of your car accident report will cost $11.50. Once your report is ready, you will receive instructions on downloading it from your email. In some instances, our legal team will order the report for you. When you request your crash report, you will be asked to provide:
- Your name
- The parish where the accident occurred
- The date the accident occurred
It typically takes between 10 and 15 days for your report to be ready. If available, photos police took at the accident scene will also be attached.
Value of Your Police Report
When you pursue financial compensation from the driver who caused your accident, your police report is invaluable. Most personal injury cases are resolved with a financial settlement versus a court case when representatives for both sides review the evidence. Your crash report tells both teams:
- How to contact all involved parties and their insurers
- Road, weather, and lighting conditions
- Whether drugs or alcohol contributed to the collision
- Seating positions and points of impact
Your report will also note any property damage, physical injuries, and fatalities. It will also provide the date, time, and location of the car accident, which can help our team ensure compliance with the statute of limitations.
It Is Important to Request Your Police Report Immediately
In Louisiana, you have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit after a car accident. If you do not file within the allotted time, you may unintentionally forfeit your ability to seek compensation. Accordingly:
- The personal injury statute of limitations is one year from the date of the accident, per CC Art. 3492
- The wrongful death statute of limitations is one year from the accident-related date of a loved one’s passing, per CC Art. 2315.2
When we have early notice of your intent to seek compensation, we ensure the filing deadline is met, and preserve your ability to take the at-fault party to court if you cannot reach a settlement agreement.
For a free legal consultation, call (337) 777-7777
We Can Obtain Your Police Report for You
Because we are committed to helping car accident victims recover compensation, we are also familiar with state and local laws that govern the recovery process. When we represent you, we handle all legal and insurance details, including:
- Insurance claim forms
- Relevant communication
- Legal forms and filings
- Assessing your case value
In addition to your police report, we also gather additional documents that prove the at-fault driver’s liability. We use this evidence to negotiate a favorable monetary settlement on your behalf.
What Some of Our Past Clients Say About Our Legal Services
Our legal team is responsive, compassionate, and committed to helping injured clients recover. When previous clients talk about our legal team, they say:
- “OMG. My “thank you” seems so small compared to all Mallory has done, but it comes from my heart. I absolutely will always have her number for anything that may come up. I will also always direct people to her.” – Lynn Warner
- “I am so happy that I chose Laborde Earles as my attorneys. Mr. Earles is always available when I call…I totally trust him, and I’m extremely satisfied with his experience and expertise. Thank you, Mr. Earles, for being more than an attorney to me.” – Michelle Graham
- “I had a very positive experience with Laborde Earles. They provided excellent service, demonstrating professionalism and personal attention to detail. My paralegal Kimberly is smart, realistic, efficient, pleasant, and very personable…Thank you for all your hard work!!” – Danielle Lott
When you work with our team, we explain your potential for compensation and keep you informed of your case every step of the way.
Contact Our Firm to Learn More About How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
If you or someone you love was injured in a car accident in Louisiana, we take time to explain how to get a police report for your car accident. We also describe the legal process in detail. Complete our contact form or call one of our Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers team members today at (337) 777-7777.