Unlike ten or twenty years ago, the traditional taxicab has a lot of competition. This is because of the introduction of rideshare services like Uber. Uber provides customers with easy access to a convenient ride. Simply use the Uber app to request a ride and a nearby driver comes to your location.
However, because of the high demand for Uber services and a high turnover rate, the company has continued to add many new drivers. This has led to some drivers being inexperienced or unfamiliar with the area they are servicing. Inexperienced drivers, unfortunately, are more susceptible to causing traffic accidents. If you were injured in an Uber accident, a Broussard Uber accident lawyer could help you gain the compensation you are due.
Whether you were driving in your car, riding as a passenger in an Uber, riding as a passenger in another car, or were struck as a pedestrian or cyclist, a Broussard Uber accident lawyer can represent you and fight for your rights.
How Are Uber Drivers Hired?
Uber drivers are freelance employees, considered independent contractors. In almost all cases, this means that Uber drivers are not professional drivers. As mentioned earlier, the demand for Uber services has increased over the last several years. As a result, Uber is constantly seeking more drivers. Here are the requirements to qualify as an Uber driver:
- a driver must be old enough to drive
- a driver is required to have at least one year of licensed driving experience in the United States (if a prospective driver is less than twenty-five years old, they are required to have three years of driving experience)
- a driver must have a valid U.S. driver’s license
- the vehicle used for Uber must be an eligible vehicle with four doors
Uber also requires the following documentation from their drivers:
- valid U.S. driver’s license
- proof of residency
- proof of vehicle insurance
- a profile photo of the driver
Prospective Uber drivers are required to pass a screening as well. This is a background check that checks their criminal history. As you can see, the requirements for being an Uber driver are pretty minimal. Unfortunately, this sometimes leads to a lack of safety on the road.
For a free legal consultation with a uber accident lawyer serving Broussard, call (337) 777-7777
Shortcomings With Uber Drivers
Without a doubt, many Uber drivers strive to be safe, conscientious, and careful on the road. However, in some cases, Uber drivers are driving less responsibly for various reasons.
Some common concerns with Uber drivers include:
- Uber drivers are regularly young and inexperienced. Driving is a skill that often takes years to master.
- Often, Uber drivers are driving Uber as a second source of income. This leads to fatigued and less safe drivers on the roads.
- Uber drivers are incentivized by money. They want to finish their route quickly so they can pick up their next ride. This can cause rushing and recklessness in an effort to maximize profits.
- For various reasons, Uber drivers may be more distracted than a typical motorist. A driver could be distracted from their passengers, mobile phone (Uber app), or lack familiarity with the area.
- An Uber driver might try to take unnecessary risks to get their passenger to the destination faster (and get a bigger tip).
If you were injured in an Uber accident and you think the driver may have been inexperienced, reckless, or negligent, you may be due compensation. A Broussard Uber accident lawyer can help you navigate this complex situation.
Broussard Uber Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
When Should You Sue an Uber Driver?
There are a lot of potential situations in which you could file a lawsuit against an Uber driver. You might be able to sue Uber if you were riding in an Uber vehicle as a passenger, a pedestrian injured by an Uber vehicle, the owner of a building damaged by an Uber vehicle, or a cyclist hit by an Uber vehicle.
If you were driving or riding in a different vehicle that an Uber struck, you might also be able to file a lawsuit. Laborde Earles Law Firm has a team of experienced Broussard Uber accident lawyers on hand to help you evaluate your case today.
What Compensation Can You Claim?
If you or a loved one was injured or your vehicle was damaged in an Uber accident, you are likely eligible for compensation. If you can prove the Uber driver’s negligence, your case becomes stronger. Compensation comes in a variety of forms. Under Louisiana law, you may be able to claim compensation in the areas of:
- Vehicle damage
- Lost wages
- Medical costs (past and future)
- Pain and suffering
- Lost earning capacity (for the future)
- Permanent disfigurement or disability
These are some of the typical forms of compensation in Uber accident cases. A Broussard Uber accident lawyer can help clarify what damages you could claim and for how much.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Much Time Do You Have to File Your Lawsuit?
The amount of time you have to file a claim is the statute of limitations. If you do not file a claim within that time frame, you generally lose your right to file. In Louisiana, the statute of limitations for these cases is one year. From the date of your accident, you have one year to file. This can seem like a long time, but often in the aftermath of a traumatic accident, you are focused on car repairs and recovery. It is easy for that year to go by quickly.
Protect your rights and be sure to file your suit within the statute of limitations. A Broussard Uber accident lawyer can assist in various ways by collecting evidence, working with the insurance companies, and more.
Get a Free Consultation Today
Getting into an accident is bad enough on its own. Focus on your recovery and health and get an experienced attorney on your side to handle the legalities. The Laborde Earles Law Firm is available today to give you a free consultation, answer questions, and, if you want, take on your case. Contact us when you’re ready to get justice.