Dog bites are a common occurrence, and they can happen to anyone. Knowing your rights is essential if you become a dog bite or attack victim.
It can be dangerous when someone’s dog bites you because it can cause physical injury, and unseen consequences may arise. If you experience a dog bite in Carencro, it’s ideal to contact a dog bite attorney to help you argue your case for a fair settlement.
Dog Bite Concerns
Dog bite victims often face life-changing events, including suffering the emotional and physical pain associated with a severe bite. Many victims also incur thousands of dollars in medical bills, spend time off work, and risk potential permanent disfigurement.
These are just some of the concerns victims need to address immediately. A significant amount of planning can be required to ensure the best possible outcome for your case. In many cases, you may be unable to proceed with this level of planning until you hire a dog bite lawyer for help.
Having the services of a Carencro dog bite lawyer attorney by your side can guarantee legal help in evaluating your case and recovering compensation for your injuries. Your lawyer can also review the dog attack details, gather evidence to support your claim, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. If negotiations fail, your lawyer could litigate and represent you in court.
For a free legal consultation with a dog bite lawyer serving Carencro, call (337) 777-7777
Actions to Take After a Dog Bite Incident
A dog may have bitten you, but you don’t know what to do. It’s common to be in shock after an attack, and you may not know what to do. Here are some actions that can help:
- Get the contact information of the owner and any witnesses who saw the dog bite incident
- Take pictures of the injuries and damages done to your clothes or belongings
- Write down all the details of what happened while they’re still fresh in your mind
- Contact your doctor, even if the injuries seem minor, because rabies can be fatal
- Contact an attorney to help you protect your rights and obtain compensation for damages resulting from your injuries.
You should also keep track of all medical costs resulting from the attack.
Carencro Dog Bite Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Proving Liability in Dog Bite Claim
Dog bites can have devastating effects on the victim. It’s necessary to understand the legalities of dog bite claims to receive compensation for your injuries.
However, you must prove liability to recover damages for your injuries. Here are some ways to prove liability in a dog bite case, including:
- A Previous Bite: Suppose the dog has a history of biting people or animals, and the owner knew about it. In that case, it’s possible to hold the owner liable for damages based on strict liability. This is true even if the owner had no awareness that the dog was dangerous at the time of the incident.
- Negligence: If a reasonable person knows a dog has dangerous tendencies, it’s possible to hold them liable for damages based on negligence. An example of this would be if the dog has previously shown aggressive behavior but has not bitten anyone before.
However, you must show that there were circumstances before the incident that should have alerted the owner of their pet’s danger, and they failed to act on it.
Possible Defenses in Dog Bite Cases
When a dog bites someone, the owner may be held liable for any damages from the bite. However, the victim must prove that the owner was negligent or knew about the dog’s dangerous propensities. The owner may have a defense to liability if any of these exceptions apply:
If you are injured by a dog and the only reason you were on the property was to commit a crime, you can be barred from filing a dog bite lawsuit. If you were trespassing on private property when the incident occurred, it would be difficult for you to prove your case in court.
The dog owner can use provocation as a defense if it can be shown that you were teasing, annoying, or harassing their pet at the time of the attack. The dog owner’s lawyer may argue that their client is not responsible for your injuries because you provoked the animal.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Compensation in Dog Bite Cases
Injuries from dog attacks can often be severe and cause long-term damage. If a dog bite has injured you, you may be facing many expenses for your medical treatment.
A dog bite lawyer can help you earn compensation for the following damages:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Property damage
Contacting a lawyer can help you recover compensation from the party or parties liable for your injuries and losses. This includes the dog owner and any other property owner or occupier who could also be responsible.
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for Legal Help
Legal help from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can be instrumental in determining a viable case. We understand that the law can be complex, and the legal system is not necessarily ‘user-friendly’ when dealing with dog bites. Contact us to schedule a free case review today.