If you experienced an injury on an oil or gas rig, or if a loved one died while working offshore, maritime law applies to oil and gas workers. However, there can be exceptions.
Workers in the offshore oil and gas industry may not qualify for the same benefits as maritime workers do under the Jones Act, but other federal laws could cover you. A maritime injury lawyer from our team can explain whether maritime law applies to your case.
Your Next Steps if You Suffered an Injury While at Work
Since maritime law applies to oil and gas workers, they can generally enjoy certain protections and rights under maritime laws such as the Jones Act and the Death on the High Seas Act (DOHSA), as well as other laws and regulations. However, workers must also act quickly after an accident to protect their legal rights. You can take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention immediately.
- Report the accident and injuries to your employer as soon as you can.
- Report what happened in as much detail as possible.
- Ask for a copy of the accident report.
- Make notes about your accident and injury for your records.
- Note contact details of any witnesses of your accident.
Above all, the most important step after an accident will be getting a medical evaluation. Do not let your employer, boss, or supervisor talk you out of seeing a doctor. You could have a serious condition, such as a traumatic brain injury or spinal damage, which may not show any symptoms at first.
Having a medical report can also be beneficial if you later need to take legal action, as we can use a report as evidence of your damages.
Our Maritime Injury Law Firm Offers Free Consultations
After tending to your health, you can arrange a free consultation with a maritime injury lawyer from our team who can assess your legal options. Do not rely on your employer or its insurance company to help you get the compensation you are entitled to. You could face a long and challenging fight for a settlement.
Avoid giving a written or recorded statement to the insurance company and hire an attorney from our team as soon as possible. Your attorney can communicate with the insurance company and ensure they do not push you into accepting an inadequate settlement.
Collect Evidence if You Can
If you can, taking photographs of the accident scene and identifying witnesses is an excellent idea. However, remember to collect evidence for your damages also, which can include:
- Healthcare bills associated with your accident and injury
- Medical reports and physician statements linking your injuries to the accident
- Receipts for out-of-pocket costs, such as transportation expenses and medications
A maritime injury lawyer from our firm can help you gather evidence to prove the at-fault party’s negligence in your accident and your damages.
What Is the Average Settlement for a Maritime Injury Case?
Since all maritime injury cases are unique and can vary considerably, an attorney who has analyzed your case can give you an indication of the potential worth of your accident. There is no such thing as an average settlement for a maritime injury case. What victims could recover will depend on a variety of factors, including but not limited to:
- The severity of injuries
- The strength of the victim’s legal case
- The overall number of expenses, such as medical bills and wage losses
- Pain and suffering experienced by the victim
There can be many factors playing into a maritime injury case. You can hire a maritime injury lawyer from our team to determine what you are entitled to. Generally, victims of an offshore or onshore work accident can potentially recover various types of compensation, including:
- Present and future healthcare expenses
- Present and future expected loss of income
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Awards for physical pain and emotional distress
- Awards for a reduction of life quality
- Awards for disability and disfigurement
Why Hire an Attorney from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers?
If you suffered injuries and financial losses due to an accident while working in the maritime industry, you could face an uphill struggle for recovering what you deserve. Working with a maritime injury lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers who helps people recover fair settlements can give you peace of mind.
We can take your case into our hands and work tirelessly in your best interests while you are healing. Call us today for a free consultation to determine whether you have a case at (337) 777-7777.