Tractor-trailer collisions can cause debilitating and sometimes fatal injuries. If your close relative lost their life in a crash that was someone else’s fault, a Terrytown fatal truck accident lawyer could help you and your family fight to hold the negligent party accountable for your losses.
Our personal injury law firm’s mission is to help people get the compensation they deserve when their lives get turned upside-down because of someone else’s carelessness. The last thing you should have to do after a sudden death in the family is deal with the at-fault party’s insurance company. We will work relentlessly to help you get the monetary damages you need to rebuild your life.
Potential Causes of Fatal Truck Accidents
Most truck collisions result from negligence. Some causes of tractor-trailer crashes from negligence include:
- Speeding. This could include exceeding the posted speed limit or driving too fast for current conditions. For example, driving at the speed limit on icy or wet roads could be dangerous. Also, when the streets are congested with rush-hour traffic, driving safely at the speed limit can be impossible.
- Fatigued or drowsy driving. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) limits the number of hours drivers are allowed to operate semi-trucks without stopping to get adequate rest. When truck drivers violate these laws, they can be negligent. If the trucking company pressures its drivers to break these regulations, the company can be responsible.
- Drunk driving. Per RS 414.2, people with commercial driver’s licenses (CDLs) have a lower blood alcohol concentration (BAC) legal limit (0.04%) than most other drivers (0.08%). If the truck driver had a prohibited BAC level and contributed to or caused the accident, the driver could be negligent.
- Tailgating. Large trucks need a longer distance to stop because of their massive weight. A tailgating truck might not be able to prevent an accident when traffic slows.
- Reckless maneuvers. The truck driver is not always the party at fault. Some people cut sharply in front of trucks, not knowing or caring that tractor-trailers need a longer distance to slow down.
Sometimes, a truck crash happens because of someone’s intentional act, like road rage. Whether the act that caused the crash was negligent or intentional, a fatal truck accident lawyer in Terrytown, Louisiana can help you pursue the at-fault party for your losses.
For a free legal consultation with a fatal truck accident lawyer serving Terrytown, call (337) 777-7777
How Much Money Can You Get in Your Terrytown Fatal Truck Accident Case?
We cannot say how much compensation you could collect for your wrongful death case after a fatal truck accident before talking to you and evaluating your case. Nonetheless, here are some of the common types of money damages we have won for our clients in cases like these:
- Your deceased loved one’s final medical bills from the fatal accident
- Funeral and burial or cremation costs
- Loss of the earnings your relative provided for their family’s support
- Lost benefits to the family, such as the decedent’s employer-provided health insurance plan
- Loss of guidance, education, and companionship
You can talk to a fatal truck accident attorney in Terrytown, Louisiana about the possible recoverable losses in your wrongful death claim.
Terrytown Fatal Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
How Our Terrytown Fatal Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help with Your Wrongful Death Claim
We can help you avoid problems that could harm the financial value of your wrongful death case. Such problems may include:
Missing the Filing Deadline
Louisiana has a short statute of limitations for filing civil lawsuits. You must file a wrongful death lawsuit within one year, according to CC Art. 2315.2. If you were injured in the truck accident that killed your loved one, you may also file a personal injury lawsuit. However, you only have one year to do so under CC Art. 3492.
If you miss the statute of limitations, Louisiana law could bar you from holding the negligent party accountable for your losses. However, the filing deadline is more complicated than it sounds. Even if you think the statute of limitations has expired, please let us confirm. You might still be able to file your case, depending on your unique circumstances.
Avoiding Bad-Faith Tactics of the Defendant or Liability Insurance Carrier
The insurance company claims adjuster might try to drag out settlement negotiations, hoping you will miss the filing deadline. However, your lawyer can ensure they don’t succeed in this or any other bad-faith practice.
We can also help you avoid getting duped by the insurance company about the true value of your wrongful death claim. The claims adjuster might try to blame the crash on your deceased loved one and thereby deny liability. Also, you might receive a lowball offer to settle your case. We can protect you from these scenarios.
Why You Can Afford to Hire Our Terrytown Fatal Truck Accident Attorneys to Handle Your Case
We understand that you might be experiencing financial hardship after the sudden loss of a close relative. Your loved one is no longer bringing home a paycheck, but you might have a stack of bills for the ambulance, emergency room, hospital, and doctors who tried to save your loved one’s life. You should not also have to come up with a legal fee deposit to get help on your case.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we use contingency fee arrangements for our truck accident wrongful death cases. You will not have to pay us any upfront legal fees. We will work diligently on your wrongful death claim, waiting patiently until the end to get paid.
Even then, you will not get a bill for our hourly work on your case. Instead, we’ll receive a portion of your settlement or court award. If you do not win your case, you do not have to pay your Terrytown fatal truck accident lawyer any legal fees.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How to Get Started On Your Terrytown Wrongful Death Case
Getting started on a wrongful death claim is simple. All you have to do is contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation. Please do not wait too long to reach out to us because filing deadlines can come quickly.