Despite all the strict traffic rules and regulations aimed at increasing pedestrian safety on the road, pedestrian accidents still occur at an alarming rate. When pedestrian accidents occur, victims sustain devastating injuries and face substantial medical bills that could quickly get them into severe financial debt.
If you’ve recently been a pedestrian accident victim, you might be entitled to monetary compensation. A Harvey pedestrian accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers could help you through all stages of your claim.
How Can a Harvey Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Help?
Unfortunately, some motorists don’t obey traffic laws and signs, and that’s why pedestrian accidents are too common. When crossing the road as a pedestrian, you’re very exposed and with little protection. As such, pedestrians usually suffer catastrophic injuries in the event of an accident.
If someone else is responsible for these injuries, you should never have to pay for their carelessness. However, personal injury claims are complex, even if you have a valid lawsuit. The at-fault motorist and their insurance company will do everything to avoid liability and minimize the financial compensation they have to pay you. That’s why it’s in your best interest to hire a lawyer.
A Harvey pedestrian accident lawyer will do the following to help:
- Conduct a thorough and independent investigation to determine what caused the accident and who’s liable
- Gather enough evidence to support your claim for compensation
- Interview all witnesses present at the accident scene and take their statements
- Assess your injuries and losses to determine a fair settlement amount
- Protect you when the defendant’s team tries to blame you for the accident
- Handle the legal paperwork between you and the insurance company
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company on your behalf
- Take your case to trial if necessary
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Liability for Pedestrian Accidents
Your lawyer must prove liability for the responsible party to be financially liable for your injuries and other damages you may have incurred following the accident.
Here are some parties that may be liable for a pedestrian accident:
- Taxi driver
- Electric scooter operator
- Truck driver
- Trucking company
- Bus driver
- Government agency responsible for constructing roads
- Manufacturers of defective vehicle parts
- Occupants of a passenger vehicle distracting the driver
- Employer of a negligent driver
Proving Negligence in Pedestrian Accidents
Negligence can factor into pedestrian accidents. For example, a motorist may engage in the following behaviors:
- Fatigued driving
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Failure to pay attention while crossing the road
- Aggressive or reckless driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
- Running red lights
- Making unsafe turns at intersections
- Failure to adhere to speed limits and other traffic signs
- Failure to look behind when reversing
A government entity overseeing the road may also prove negligent if it fails to perform Sidewalk and roadway maintenance. Lack of roadway lighting and poorly positioned road signs can also cause pedestrian accidents.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
The severity of pedestrian accidents usually depends on the vehicle’s speed when the accident occurred. As a result, some pedestrian accidents cause catastrophic injuries, some of which may be fatal. Other factors that determine the severity of these accidents are the victim’s position, age, health, size, and height.
Victims may sustain any of the following injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Skull fractures
- Road rash
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Leg and knee injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Lacerations and contusions
- Dental and facial injuries
- Lost limbs
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
Deadlines for Filing Pedestrian Accident Lawsuits
According to Civil Code Art.3492, you have a year to file a personal injury lawsuit following a pedestrian accident. Civil Code Art.2315.2 states that you have the same time limit to file a wrongful death lawsuit if you’ve recently lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident. If you fail to adhere to this time limit, you might lose the right to recover compensation.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Safety Tips to Prevent Pedestrian Accidents
The following are some safety tips pedestrians should follow to prevent unnecessary accidents:
- Always be a predictable walker who obeys traffic signs and lights
- Use marked crosswalks and pavements if available
- Always cross at illuminated points where you have a good view of the oncoming traffic
- Pay attention to vehicles that are reserving or pulling inside a driveway
- Never assume that a motorist or cyclist can see you
On the other hand, motorists should take the following safety measures to help prevent pedestrian accidents:
- Always watch out for pedestrians crossing the road
- Stop your vehicle once you get closer to a crosswalk
- Always adhere to speed limits
- Always yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
- Never drive while tired or under the influence of alcohol
Recoverable Damages in Pedestrian Accident Claims
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, a Harvey pedestrian accident lawyer can help you recover compensation for the following damages:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and benefits
- Mental anguish
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Lost earning capacity
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Diminished quality of life
Let Our Harvey Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Help
If you’ve been hurt in a pedestrian accident, consider hiring a Harvey pedestrian accident lawyer to represent you. At Laborde Earles Injury lawyers, we’ll help you build a strong case against the negligent parties, protect your legal rights, and ensure that justice is served. We can handle your case while you rest and recover from your injuries.
Contact us today for a free consultation.