If your pedestrian accident claim was denied by Farmers Insurance, you can appeal that decision. If you were in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you deserve to recover the compensation you need to pay for treatment, medical bills, and living expenses.
You may have multiple options for fighting this denial, and a pedestrian accident lawyer can help you explore every avenue for seeking compensation.
Why Was My Farmers Insurance Claim Denied?
Insurance companies often deny a victim’s first claims. Farmers Insurance may deny your claim because they don’t believe it to be valid based on the information you or the driver provided or because they hope you will give up on pursuing the claim.
In many cases, an insurance company like Farmers Insurance may not immediately provide you with a reason for why they denied your claim. Here are some potential reasons your claim was denied:
- The policy lapsed: Drivers must pay their monthly premiums to keep their auto insurance coverage. If the driver failed to pay their premiums, they may not have had an active policy with Farmers Insurance when they hit you.
- You did not file the claim promptly: You should file an insurance claim as soon as possible after a pedestrian accident. However, if you were in the hospital due to your injuries and could not contact the insurance company, the insurance company may claim you missed their deadline for filing a claim.
- They don’t believe the accident occurred: If your claim lacked enough evidence to prove the accident occurred and you were injured, Farmers Insurance may deny your claim on those grounds. This can happen if the driver doesn’t file a claim or they tell their insurer that your claim is fraudulent.
- They blame you for the accident: If another involved party submitted evidence that points to you being partially or fully responsible for your pedestrian accident, Farmers Insurance may deny it. For instance, the motorist who hit you may claim you were jaywalking when they had the right-of-way with a green light.
If your denial notice does not provide a specific reason for your denial, you should contact the insurance company right away to get one. That can help you and your pedestrian injury lawyer improve your claim with evidence that proves the denial is invalid.
For a free legal consultation, call (337) 777-7777
How To Appeal A Denial From Farmers Insurance For Your Pedestrian Accident Claim
A denied insurance claim is not the end of your attempt to seek compensation after a pedestrian accident. You can take any (or all) of these steps to get the compensation you deserve:
- Send an appeal notice letter to Farmers Insurance
- File a demand letter to the insurance company
- Try to negotiate with the insurer
- File a lawsuit against the insurance company or the at-fault party
- File a bad faith claim to prove the insurer denied your claim for no valid reason or engaged in other deceptive or unfair practices described in RS 22:1964
You may be tempted to take these steps on your own. However, a pedestrian accident lawyer may improve the strength of your appeal. Farmers Insurance may reject your claim yet again, but with a lawyer to assist you, the insurer will know you’re serious about getting the money you deserve.
The insurance company representatives don’t want to go to court if they don’t have to, so even the threat of a lawsuit may prompt them to offer a fair settlement.
How A Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help With Your Denied Farmers Insurance Claim
A pedestrian accident lawyer can take the pressure off you and your family while you recover from your pedestrian accident. Your personal injury attorney will:
- Investigate your claim to prove the other party’s negligence, which is important if the insurer denied your claim because they believe you’re at fault
- Collect more evidence, including the police report, video footage, photographs of damage and injuries, witness testimony, and your medical records
- Calculate the true value of your damages, including lost income, medical expenses, and your pain and suffering
- Handle all communications with the insurance company, including appeals, demand letters, and negotiations
- File a lawsuit against the insurance company and represent you in court if necessary
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
The personal injury team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers has more than 250 years of combined legal experience, with decades of service in Lafayette, Alexandria, Marksville, New Orleans, and other parts of the great state of Louisiana. We help clients injured in pedestrian accidents on a contingency-fee basis, meaning you don’t owe a thing unless we win or settle your case.
If your pedestrian accident claim was denied by Farmers Insurance, contact our office for a free consultation.