Twenty years ago, if you needed a ride somewhere, you would call a cab service. The introduction of rideshare services like Uber and Lyft has changed the game. Unfortunately, Uber drivers are not always experienced or careful, which can lead to accidents. If you have been injured due to the negligence of an Uber driver, a Cankton Uber accident lawyer may be able to help you get back on your feet.
Uber provides convenient services to its customers. Users can get a ride cheaply with little planning. Because of the high demand for its service, Uber has needed to hire more drivers.
Uber Driver Requirements
Potential Uber drivers go through a background check process. A third-party company checks their criminal history, looking for violent crimes, moving violations, and more. However, because Uber is so desperate to hire more drivers, the requirements to be an Uber driver are limited.
An Uber driver must:
- Have at least one year of licensed driving experience in the United States (required to have at least three years of driving experience if less than 25 years old)
- Have a valid U.S. driver’s license
- Be a licensed driver with a TLC driver’s license
- Have a TLC-licensed vehicle
The specific requirements to drive Uber are minimal, but different cities have their own regulations for Uber vehicles. Uber’s website outlines these requirements in more detail. Due to the loose requirements to drive for Uber, there are common concerns with many of their drivers.
For a free legal consultation with a uber accident lawyer serving Cankton, call (337) 777-7777
Common Uber Driving Mistakes
It’s safe to say most Uber drivers are responsible, considerate, and safe when driving. However, this is not always the case. Due to the nature of driving for Uber, their drivers sometimes make the following mistakes:
- Uber drivers are motivated by tips. If a driver wants to get a bigger tip, they may try to rush to the destination. This can involve unnecessary and unsafe risks.
- In many cases, Uber drivers are young and inexperienced. As mentioned earlier, some Uber drivers may have as little as one year of experience driving. Inexperienced drivers are less confident and more likely to cause accidents.
- Uber drivers make more money if they complete more routes. This monetary reward can cause a driver to rush to pick up their passenger. A driver who is rushing may cause accidents and injuries.
- Many Uber drivers can become drowsy. After a long day of work at another job, a driver may be fatigued and unfocused.
- Typical Uber drivers are more distracted than other drivers. Their customer (the passenger) can be a distraction. The use of GPS, the Uber app, and even music apps on the driver’s phone can cause a distraction long enough to inflict serious injury.
While no Uber driver intends to drive dangerously, it does happen. If you were injured in a Cankton Uber accident due to the driver’s negligence, you could be entitled to compensation.
Cankton Uber Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Steps to Consider After an Uber Accident
The first thing to think about following any kind of accident is your safety. Once you’re safe and out of danger, there are some actions you should consider taking to protect yourself.
1. Seek Medical Attention
Immediately following an accident, it can be hard to tell how much you may have been injured. It’s encouraged to get medical treatment immediately. Receiving medical attention is essential for your health and can help you prove your injuries down the line. Even if you’re not sure how serious your injuries are, it’s worth it to consult a medical professional.
2. Call 911
Following your accident, contact the local police. An officer will come, survey the scene, and write a report detailing the accident in an unbiased manner. This report can help you in many ways down the line. Memory tends to fade over time, and facts are easily forgotten. A police report can be a key piece of documentation should you decide to file a claim.
3. Personally Document the Scene
Important evidence you can capture after an accident includes:
- Photographs of vehicles, street signs, your injuries, the conditions, and more
- Contact information for any nearby witnesses
Any documentation of the accident and the resulting injuries is valuable for an Uber accident victim seeking compensation. Be meticulous in keeping up with any documents and expenses. A Cankton Uber accident lawyer can assist you.
Things to Avoid After an Uber Accident
What happens right after an accident can be significant in the legal outcome. Keep a cool head and stay safe. The following are common mistakes Uber accident victims make:
This happens all too often. A victim of an accident is shaken up, injured, and scared. All the victim wants to do is put the other person at ease. This comforting instinct may lead you to want to apologize. Resist this urge. Admitting that you were at fault can cost you a lot of money down the line.
Stick to the facts. It can put you in a more advantageous position to not say very much at all. If you apologize or explain your actions, the insurance company will almost certainly use this to pay you less. It’s also important to file your claim in Louisiana within a year from the day of your injury (CC Art. 3492).
Signing a Settlement
Don’t agree to any settlement without cautious consideration. Settlements in these cases are always lower than they should be. If you sign a settlement agreement, you may be signing away some of your rights in the future. A Cankton Uber accident lawyer can advise you on the offer and potentially help you get more compensation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Free Consultation Today
No matter how careful your Uber driver is on the road, accidents still happen. However, if you were injured due to the negligence of an Uber driver, you’re eligible for compensation. Our lawyers at Laborde Earles Law Firm are available today to help you with a free consultation. Focus on healing while our team of Uber accident lawyers supports you through the legal process. Get your free case review today.