The probability of motorcyclists dying in crashes is 27 times higher than for those traveling in passenger vehicles. Those who are fortunate enough to survive these types of accidents usually suffer grave injuries due to direct contact with another car, the asphalt, and other roadside objects.
Motorcycle accidents are common, and unfortunately claiming lives every day. While motorcycles are beloved for their high performance, they have less stability and are less visible than passenger vehicles or large trucks.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) observed that 34% of drivers who perished in 2019 rode motorcycles whose engine sizes were greater than 1,400cc; there was only 9% in 2000 and less than 1% in 1990, to illustrate the stark comparison. If you were injured in a motorcycle crash in Branch, a lawyer can determine the liable party and help you seek payout for various damages.
Reasons for Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles are a fixture on roads, highways, and even residential streets. Riders enjoy getting around without getting stuck in traffic like other motorists. The proliferation of alternative motorized vehicles, however, comes with a risk of crashes for the reasons outlined below:
In October 2021, the New York Post reported that motorcyclists were dying at an astronomical rate, and the majority were found to be unlicensed. Roughly 70% were driving around with unregistered motorbikes, or the registration was “unknown.” Most of these accidents didn’t involve another vehicle; the riders merely lost control and slammed into objects.
That same year, a three-month-old in a stroller died following a wrong-way hit and run by Tyrik Mott. Such harrowing tales depict how dangerous motorcyclists without proper licenses can be, and the damage is often irreversible.
Reckless Riding or Driving
Motorcyclists operating their vehicles carelessly can wreak havoc on the road and jeopardize other road users. In January 2021, more than 500 bikers rode with reckless abandon on Oakland Bay Bridge, where they performed stunts and wheelies for entertainment. The speed contest and movement against the normal traffic flow prompted police action.
One rider was ejected from his bike and landed hard on the pavement when attempting to flee from authorities. He was fatally struck by an oncoming truck. The same can happen when drivers are reckless and refuse to yield the right of way.
Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)
Operating any vehicle while intoxicated is dangerous because the person’s cognitive abilities are not working optimally. The legal blood alcohol content (BAC) is 0.08%, driving under the influence of alcohol or illicit substances must be avoided at all times because:
- There is a slow reaction time when driving, like a motorcyclist cutting in front of you
- Poor coordination skills and, therefore, unable to effectively avoid harmful incidents
- These substances diminish your vision, even during daytime hours
- They impair concentration and judgment, two vital skills when behind the wheel
Bad Weather Conditions
The 2022 year started with extreme weather where high winds were blowing snow and blanketing the country’s northeastern part. Gale-force winds made it near-impossible to navigate traffic, increasing the likelihood of accidents. Motorcyclists and drivers in southeastern Louisiana encountered severe thunderstorms due to unprecedented winter and ice storms.
Poor Road Conditions
The lack of maintenance and repairs on roads poses a danger to motorists and other road users. Gaping potholes, loose gravel, poor drainage systems, etc., can impede navigation, thus triggering accidents that would otherwise be preventable. Your lawyer can bring charges against all relevant entities and request restitution for these damages:
- Medical bills (now and projected)
- Lost income while recuperating
- Other medical expenses, such as acquiring a wheelchair
- Diminished wages in the future
- Travel costs to and from hospital visits
- Vehicle or motorcycle repair
- Loss of consortium
- Disability if your injuries are lifelong
For a free legal consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer serving Branch, call (337) 777-7777
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
As mentioned before, accidents involving motorcycles often yield catastrophic outcomes for the driver. Here are some common injuries you can expect:
- Fractured bones
- Orthodontic issues, like dislodged teeth
- Internal bleeding
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Loss of limbs to amputation
- Disfigurement after excessive scarring
- First, second, and third-degree burns
- Cuts and lacerations
- Emotional anguish
Branch Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Why Choose Our Branch Motorcycle Accident Lawyers?
When you sustain injuries, motorcycle damage, or experience the death of a loved one, consider hiring a lawyer to defend your rights. Your choice of legal representation can make a world of difference between winning a case with a generous settlement or receiving a settlement that doesn’t begin to pay all your medical bills. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is your best option to handle your compensation claim. Here are five compelling reasons we can help you with your case:
- We’re committed to getting maximum restitution for every client
- It’s our goal to ensure victims of reckless acts on the road don’t have to suffer financial ruin when recuperating from their injuries
- Our attorneys have in-depth expertise and experience spanning different facets of the law, including motorcycle crashes
- We have the resources to take on new clients on a contingency basis, meaning no financial impact to you until a settlement comes through
- Our lawyers empathize with your situation and will keep you posted as the legal process unfolds, answering your pressing questions and queries
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for Legal Counsel
Did you sustain injuries following an accident with a motorcycle in Branch? A lawyer can help you know if you’re eligible for restitution from the at-fault entity. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers has the resources needed to handle your case, and we go above and beyond to satisfy our clients’ needs. We’re ready to defend you in court, contact us today for a free case review and more information about your legal rights.