Any collision with a tractor-trailer—or big rig—puts accident victims at risk of severe and costly injuries. If you suffered injuries in a big rig accident, you should strongly consider seeking compensation from Alexandria’s responsible individual or entity. Compensation from an insurance settlement or court award could cover your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. A personal injury lawyer can help initiate your personal injury claim with the insurance company to help with medical expenses.
If a negligent truck driver injured you, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer to help you with your Alexandria big rig accident claim; our team is standing by to take your call.
An Alexandria truck accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you with your case.
Calculating Your Past and Future Damages for Compensation
It is essential to recognize the full extent of your damages after a collision. Your losses amount to more than your medical bills to date. Many times you will also have property damage due to a truck accident. Your injuries will likely require treatment, medication, and therapy; this is medical care that can last for years—if not a lifetime.
There are many ways a severe injury can diminish your potential future earnings. Your injuries could prevent you from returning to work for months, years, or permanently. If you can go back to work, it might not be at the same job you worked before your injury—and it might pay substantially less.
The pain and suffering you have endured—and will continue to take—can also warrant compensation. Many other damages might not even occur to you. For example, if you can no longer mow the lawn, cook meals, or clean the house, you may need to hire someone to handle these tasks.
For a free legal consultation with a big rig accident lawyer serving Alexandria, call (318) 777-7777
Types of Recoverable Damages After an 18-Wheeler Accident
The damages you can recover will depend on the specifics of your case. The following represents just some types of recoverable damages our lawyers seek in accident injury cases:
- Medical expenses (past and future): You may have medical bills from emergency room visits, surgery, or physical therapy.
- Lost income and benefits: You might not be able to work for a time after the accident. While you are unable to work, you might lose pay and benefits.
- Diminished future potential earnings: You might not be able to work at the same job you used to, or you might only be able to work in a reduced capacity.
- Household or caretaker services
- Long-term medical care
- Pain and suffering: You may experience a lot of pain related to a big rig accident. It can include physical pain, but it can also be emotional pain associated with your experience.
- Diminished quality/enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
The exact amount you may be able to get in compensation will depend on the unique circumstances of your case. A big rig accident lawyer in LA can help estimate how much your case is worth and how much compensation you will likely receive.
Alexandria Big Rig Accident Lawyer Near Me (318) 777-7777
What Should You Do After a Truck Accident In Alexandria, LA?
Because 18-wheeler trucks are so large, truck accidents can cause severe damage. An accident puts you at risk for severe head, neck, and spinal cord injuries. And that’s not even considering any potential property damages.
First, get the medical treatment you need. Only a doctor can provide the kind of documentation that can link your injuries to your accident. We can use this to establish the negligence of another party. Furthermore, follow the advice of medical professionals treating you. You do not want to give an insurer any room to undervalue or deny your claim. They may try to argue you worsened your condition by delaying treatment, for example.
In addition, make sure to take practical steps to help you deal with legal matters later. For example, contact your insurance company to report the accident as soon as possible.
If you are able, take photos and videos of the crash site. Make sure to document what damages and injuries occurred. This can help our big rig accident attorney in LA with the collection of evidence for your case.
Truck Accident Lawyers Can Bring Crucial Knowledge to Your Case That Can Give You a Better Chance of Success
The complexity of the trucking industry makes this type of personal injury case much more complicated than a typical car accident. When you look for someone to represent your best interests in the pursuit of compensation, consider the law firm’s experience handling this type of case.
Consider that you will be entrusting the big rig wreck lawyer you hire to:
- Investigate your semi-truck accident using their knowledge of the transportation industry
- Identify the at-fault party or parties
- Establish negligence within the scope of Louisiana’s personal injury laws
- Negotiate with insurers
- Fight in court on your behalf if the insurance company does not agree to a fair settlement.
Your future lies in your lawyer’s hands. It would help if you found someone familiar with handling cases like yours and who understands the laws that apply to your lawsuit.
Finding the right big rig crash lawyer can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Our team is ready to care for your legal needs and advocate for your financial recovery after a big rig collision.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Our Big Rig Injury Law Firm Will Conduct a Thorough Investigation
Our lawyers understand how the transportation industry—and their insurers—work. We will use this knowledge to launch a deep investigation of your big rig accident—from the cause to the outcomes. In this investigation, we will:
- Travel to the accident scene in search of evidence when possible
- Obtain and review footage from surveillance and traffic signal cameras
- Interview witnesses
- Analyze black box data from the semi-truck
- Collect and study photos from the scene
- Evaluate the truck driver’s driving log
- Was the truck accident a result of distracted driving?
- Was driver fatigue a factor in the accident?
- Gather safety records from the trucking company
- Review service maintenance records
- Request and review police accident reports
- Gather all medical records related to your accident injuries
- Obtain wage statements from your employer
Our goal is to find out who was at fault for the accident and help you get the compensation you deserve.
We Know How to Gather the Right Evidence to Support Your Truck Accident Case
Laying the groundwork for your case requires knowledge of personal injury law. This area of law demands proof of the following before an injured party can collect compensation:
- Someone (the truck operator, their employer, or another party) was duty-bound to act in a way that would keep you safe and free from injury.
- This party failed to fulfill its duty of care.
- This violation of duty caused your big rig accident.
- You sustained financial, physical, and emotional damages because of the accident.
We Have Helped Other Clients Just Like You
We specialize in helping people who have experienced personal injuries, including after big rig accidents. We have helped recover compensation and punitive damages for 18-wheeler drivers and the people who have been the victims of 18-wheeler accidents. We will pursue the fullest amount of financial compensation you are entitled to. Consider the following payouts we have helped our clients receive:
- $7,000,000 – Judgment for injured 18-wheeler driver
- $1,800,000 – Settlement for 18-wheeler accident victim
- $1,750,000 – Trial verdict for 18-wheeler accident victim
- $1,000,000 – Settlement for 18-wheeler accident victims
Costs of Hiring a Lawyer
You might be concerned about the costs of hiring a lawyer. If you sustained severe injuries, you have more significant problems to worry about right now. Take a deep breath and understand that you have options.
We operate on contingency fees. What this means is we don’t bill you for your services unless we help you get compensation. You have the financial freedom to contact wise legal counsel and understand your legal options.
We Can Help You Prove Who Is Liable for Your Big Rig Accident Damages
An investigation into a big rig collision can reveal several potentially liable parties—any of whom you may be able to sue for your injuries. It is not uncommon for more than one individual or party to be legally responsible for your damages in these cases. Possible liable parties include:
- Truck manufacturers that produce defective vehicles
- Parts manufacturers that produce and sell faulty parts for the trucks
- Maintenance providers that fail to service a truck properly
- Trucking companies that refuse to followFederal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)regulations, such as those that limit the number of hours a truck operator may drive in a single day
- Employers who fail to train their truck drivers or who hire drivers with bad driving records or a history of alcohol or substance abuse
- Big rig operators who speed, drive aggressively, drive while distracted, or drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Delivery companies that improperly load trucks, causing balance problems for the rig
- Municipalities that fail to maintain roads
- Construction companies that leave debris on the road
You should know something else about the transportation industry: They are well-insured. Unfortunately, a trucking company’s insurance provider will go to great lengths to justify undervaluing or denying your claim.
Insurance Companies do Not Have Your Best Interests at Heart
It is not uncommon for trucking companies’ insurance providers to contact victims of big rig accidents and offer false sympathy. Avoid saying anything to these people about your case. As genuine and caring as they might sound, they have one purpose: to get information that they can use against you.
You should not sign anything given to you by a representative from the insurance company. As tempting as it might be to accept whatever amount the insurer offers you—for the sake of having the whole matter settled—know that any check they give you may be a fraction of what your case is worth.
The insurer knows this, and they are testing how much they can lowball their offer and avoid paying you the value of your case.
Your Time to File a Claim Is Limited
Investigating and building a case against big rig companies requires time. However, accident victims in Alexandria must abide by the deadlines set in Louisiana’s statute of limitations, CC §3492.
The sooner you hire an Alexandria big rig accident lawyer from our team, the more time you give us to build your case, calculate your damages, and negotiate with insurers. If they do not agree to a fair settlement, you have only one year from the date of your big rig accident to file a lawsuit.
Consulting with an Alexandria big rig accident attorney early leaves your legal options open. It gives you the time to file a lawsuit later if you cannot reach a fair settlement.
Call the Attorneys at Our Firm Today If You Want Someone to Fight for Your Right to Compensation
Our lawyers are passionate about protecting the rights of Alexandria’s injured. You don’t have to navigate confusing legal options alone. Let us help you.
Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation about your big rig accident and your options for recovering compensation.