Since Uber was launched in 2009, the company has grown exponentially. Reports say that millions of Americans use Uber every day to get around. Many people prefer Ubers because they’re much cheaper and cleaner than taxis in all aspects. Even though using Uber is a more convenient way to commute, these vehicles can be involved in accidents just like any other vehicle or taxi.
If you’ve recently sustained injuries after an Uber accident, you might be entitled to recover compensation for all damages incurred. It’s in your best interests to consult a car accident lawyer for help navigating the legal process.
How a Jefferson Island Uber Accident Lawyer Can Help
Even though you may have used Uber hundreds of times over the years, the chances are that you’ve never been through this legal process before. Uber is a big rideshare company that has worked hard to make it difficult for victims to hold it accountable for Uber accidents. Additionally, ridesharing laws keep changing by the day, making it hard for you to prove that you’re entitled to compensation, even after an Uber accident.
Therefore, if you’d like to file a claim and receive the compensation you deserve, it would be best to hire a lawyer to represent you and protect your legal rights. A Jefferson Island Uber accident lawyer will do the following to help your case:
- Launch an exhaustive investigation to determine the cause of the Uber accident
- Gather evidence that will be used to prove liability in the case
- Interview all witnesses present at the scene
- Remain answerable to you about the details of the case
- Request access to the police report and evaluate your medical reports
- Work closely with accident reconstruction experts to shed more light on the Uber accident
- Identify the available insurance coverage
- Use the gathered evidence to build a strong case in support of your claim for compensation
- Handle all communications with the defendant’s team as you focus on making a full recovery
- Negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf
- Represent you in court if the case goes to trial
For a free legal consultation with a uber accident lawyer serving Jefferson Island, call (337) 777-7777
Common Causes of Uber Accidents
Uber drivers are prone to mistakes like any other driver on the road today. The following are the most common causes of Uber accidents in Jefferson Island:
- Distracted Driving: Uber drivers are always on the phone to accept passenger ride requests while keeping track of time. Using the Uber app is the main cause of distraction for most Uber drivers, especially those who use it while driving.
- Speeding: Some Uber drivers always rush to drop off a passenger and accept another request. They do this to make more money on every single shift.
- Drowsy Driving: Some Uber drivers have other jobs they attend to before signing into the Uber app. This means that passengers are at risk of boarding an Uber with an exhausted driver. Such Uber drivers pose a major threat to the safety of passengers and other road users in Jefferson Island.
- Mechanical Failure: Every Uber driver is responsible for maintaining their own car. Whenever they fail to maintain their car properly, a mechanical failure may occur during a trip and cause a devastating accident.
- Driver Error: Some Uber drivers opt to run red lights and stop signs to arrive at their destinations faster and make more money. This behavior can easily lead to collisions with other motorists on the road.
Jefferson Island Uber Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Who Is Liable for Your Jefferson Island Uber Accident?
All ridesharing services, including Uber, are required by Louisiana Law to have insurance coverage to compensate for auto accidents. Uber provides two tiers of insurance coverage for all its drivers.
However, this insurance coverage varies depending on where the accident occurred. To determine whether the insurance policy covers the driver or not, Uber divides drivers’ time into three categories depending on their status at the time of the accident.
The Driver Is Logged Out of the Uber App
When an Uber driver is logged out of the Uber app and using the vehicle for personal errands, they’re not covered by the company’s insurance policy. This means that it is treated just like any other auto accident if an accident occurs. Therefore, the driver’s auto insurance will pay for the damages.
The Driver Is Available on the App and Waiting for a Ride Request
If the Uber driver is available on the app while waiting for a passenger and an accident occurs, insurance coverage applies as follows:
- $25,000 in property damage coverage
- $50,000 for bodily injury coverage per person
- $100,000 in bodily injury coverage per Uber accident
The Driver Has Accepted a Request and Is on the Way to Pick Up a Passenger
Uber usually provides the biggest insurance coverage when there is a passenger inside the vehicle or when the driver has accepted a ride request and is on their way to pick up a passenger. This insurance policy provides the following:
- $1 million in third-party liability coverage
- $1 million of uninsured or underinsured auto coverage
- A deductible worth $2,500 for contingent collision coverage
With the varying insurance coverage value, it’s in your best interests to hire a Jefferson Island Uber accident lawyer to explain some of these aspects and how they apply to your case.
Damages You Can Recover in an Uber Accident Claim
If you’ve been injured in an Uber accident, you might be eligible to recover both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages can include the following:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Rehabilitation care
- Lost earning capacity
- Physical therapy expenses
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Wrongful death
Non-economic damages include:
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional anguish
- Diminished quality of life
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us Today for Responsive Legal Help
If you or your loved one have been injured in an Uber accident in Jefferson Island, don’t hesitate to reach out to Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers. We’ll help you build a strong case and get you the compensation you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation and responsive legal help.