Property owners have a responsibility to ensure that their property is safe for occupants. When they fall short of this responsibility, slip and fall accidents could happen. Unfortunately, some of these accidents can cause life-threatening injuries or even death.
Whether it is a spill on the floor, an obstruction on the walkway, or any other defect that the property owner knew about and did not address, you might suffer injuries and losses through no fault of your own. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we believe that you shouldn’t have to bear the burden for these damages. You can work with a Houma slip and fall injury lawyer to seek compensation from the responsible parties.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Slips and falls can occur anywhere – in a parking lot, apartment complex, grocery store, or office complex. Regardless of where they take place, slip and fall accidents often have one thing in common: negligence.
If the property owner fails to provide a safe environment or warn visitors of potential safety hazards, they could be liable for slip and fall accidents. You can pursue a premises liability claim for trips, falls, and slips caused by their failure to repair known hazards.
CC Art. 2322 spells out the responsibility of property owners to maintain their premises to remove or repair damage that could harm visitors. However, if a trespasser suffers an injury in a slip and fall accident, they generally cannot hold a property owner responsible and are ineligible to seek compensation.
Steps to Take After Your Accident
Here are some immediate actions to take after a slip and fall accident:
- Seek medical attention: Injuries, however innocuous, require a medical examination. Failure to seek medical attention may worsen the situation, resulting in more life-changing conditions. The property owner can also cite your failure when defending themselves from a premises liability claim.
- Collect information from witnesses at the scene: If you can, get contact information from the people who witnessed the accident. A Houma slip and fall injury lawyer can contact them later to see if their testimony corroborates your story, thus strengthening your case.
- Record evidence: Photo and video evidence can go a long way in supporting your claim. If you cannot record the scene, have someone else do that on your behalf.
- File an accident report: After a slip and fall accident, ensure that you report the incident to the police and the property owner. A police officer will investigate what happened and compile their findings in a report. Having an official statement from the police helps support your claim.
- Refuse to sign waivers or give statements: You will likely receive a call from the property owner’s insurer, trying to offer you a settlement for your claim or interview you about the incident. In almost all cases, the insurer’s offer will be less than what you deserve, and they want to elicit statements that hurt your claim. Your attorney can field these questions and offers to ensure you don’t damage your case.
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving Houma, call (337) 777-7777
Damages You Could Collect from Your Slip and Fall Accident
The types of damages you could recover through a slip and fall accident claim largely depend on the extent of your injuries, the degree of your fault for the accident (known as comparative negligence), and other factors. Nonetheless, you could recover these damages for your injuries and losses:
- Current and future medical costs
- Lost income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
Houma Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
We Can Help You Pursue Full Compensation
If you suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident, you could find it challenging to recover damages alone. Insurance companies often work with a team of lawyers and adjusters who try to pin the fault on you. If you work with a slip and fall accident lawyer, they can help you with these tasks.
You can hold several parties accountable for the injuries and damages that you suffered following an accident. However, the process of proving negligence against the property owner, business, or government entity is not easy. You must establish fault conclusively and with adequate evidence. Our team of slip and fall injury lawyers understands the dynamics of such cases and stands committed to helping you pursue justice.
We conduct a separate investigation of the accident and could uncover crucial information that will help create a compelling case.
You must document your losses and damages to recover compensation for them. Unfortunately, it can be challenging to calculate all your present and potential future damages correctly, especially if you have no experience doing so. A Houma slip and fall injury lawyer can help you assess and calculate your present and future damages, such as medical bills, future medical care needs, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Negotiating with Insurance Companies
Insurance companies will often use sneaky tactics to reduce the value of your claim or, even worse, deny your claim altogether. We help you deal with the seemingly intimidating claims process with the insurance company. If we can’t reach a reasonable settlement, we will not hesitate to take the issue to court.
Let’s face it. You are better off focusing on your recovery than dealing with daunting legal paperwork. We will prepare your claim to be accurate and meet Louisiana’s one-year deadline set by CC Art. 3492 for filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today About Your Case
If you or a loved one has suffered a slip and fall injury in an accident in Houma or Terrebonne Parish, our slip and fall injury lawyers are ready to help. Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for a free case evaluation. If we agree to handle your case, we won’t charge any fees unless we recover compensation for your claim. Call (337) 777-7777 today to speak with a team member.