A slip and fall accident can happen to anyone just about anywhere – a restaurant, at the workplace, the grocery store, or even at someone’s home. Based on the seriousness of your injury and your situation, you might be weighing your legal options.
After an accident, it’s not always easy to sort out precisely what happened and who might be responsible. If you suspect that the property owner’s negligence led to the dangerous or unsafe conditions that resulted in your accident, a New Iberia slip and fall injury lawyer can help you protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve. We can review your legal options during a free consultation.
It Is Vital to Establish the Cause of Your Slip and Fall Accident
When considering a premises liability claim, it is first important to determine what caused you to slip and fall. You will find it challenging to prove the owner was responsible for your injuries if you don’t know the cause of the fall. These are some common reasons for slip and fall accidents:
- Wet and uneven walking surfaces
- Stray cords and electrical wires
- Debris or trash on the floor
- Poor lighting
- Broken or damaged handrails
- Sidewalk cracks
For a free legal consultation with a slip and fall injury lawyer serving New Iberia, call (337)-547-2777
Services that a New Iberia Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Can Provide
You have a burden of proof that you must meet to hold a New Iberia property owner or leaseholder liable for your slip and fall accident injuries. Our dedicated attorneys at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you prove the property owner’s negligence. To present a strong claim, a slip and fall attorney with our firm will clearly show that:
- The property owner or manager knew of a hazard but failed to take reasonable action to remedy the problem.
- The property or business owner should have known that a dangerous condition existed because a reasonably prudent person in charge of the property would have identified the problem and taken measures such as installing warning signs.
- The victim was within their rights to be on the property.
- The premises were unreasonably dangerous.
We can also offer these services to help you prepare your claim:
- Reviewing witness statements
- Reviewing medical records and documenting your injuries and the treatment you received
- Investigating your case privately if needed to obtain more evidence
- Preparing paperwork for your case and filing it on time
- Communicating with other parties such as insurance companies on your behalf
- Negotiating for a settlement deal with the defendant
- Presenting your case in court if necessary to pursue compensation
New Iberia Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer Near Me (337)-547-2777
You Have the Right to Recover Damages in a Slip and Fall Injury Claim
If you or a loved one suffered an injury in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s Iberia Parish property, you could recover compensation for economic and noneconomic damages. A slip and fall attorney can help you pursue compensation for:
- Hospitalization and medical bills for both ongoing and future treatment and rehabilitation
- Loss of wages and earnings for time missed from work
- Loss of future earning potential arising from any disability or disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional and physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
Common Injuries Related to Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall injuries range from minor to severe – even fatal. Recovering from a serious injury suffered in a slip and fall accident requires extensive medical care and physical rehabilitation.
These are some common injuries you can suffer in a slip and fall accident:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Hip fractures
- Torn knee ligaments
- Sprained ankles or wrists
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Shoulder or neck injuries
You should seek immediate medical attention right after the accident. Failing to do so could lead the insurance company to argue that the accident didn’t cause your injuries or that they are not that severe.
Louisiana’s Doctrine of Comparative Negligence
Each personal injury case is unique, and the types of damages you recover will depend on the specific facts of your case. In some instances, the property owner may shift the blame to you. For example, they may argue that you wore improper footwear or did not exercise care that a reasonably prudent person would have used in similar situations.
Our slip and fall lawyers will collect evidence to show that the property owner’s negligent acts caused your injuries. However, if a court finds you to be partially at fault, it does not mean that you forfeit your right to compensation.
Per Louisiana’s doctrine of pure comparative negligence, if you contributed to your injury, your possible recovery will be reduced by your percentage of fault. The jury will allocate the extent to which you were at fault. So, for example, if you suffer injuries in a slip and fall accident and it is determined that you are 10% to blame, you could recover the remaining 90% of the award.
Click to contact our New Iberia Personal Injury Lawyers today
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Slip and Fall Injury Claims in Louisiana?
The statute of limitations is the deadline set by the state for victims to file a personal injury or wrongful death claim. In Louisiana, CC Art. 3492 and CC Art. 2315.2 establish one-year deadlines to take legal action if you suffered injuries or your loved one died as a result of a slip and fall accident.
Exceptions could apply that affect the deadline. However, a personal injury lawyer will assess your case and ensure you meet the statutory deadline.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Can You Afford to Hire a Lawyer to Take on Your Slip and Fall Case?
Many people fail to hire a lawyer because of concerns over legal fees. However, we understand how costly legal fees can seem in a personal injury claim.
To make it possible for you to get justice for your injuries, our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that we will represent you in your slip and fall injury claim without requiring any upfront fees. You only pay us if we win your case and recover compensation.
Reach Out to Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers for a Free Case Evaluation
If you or a loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident, you don’t have to bear the burden alone. Fortunately, a New Iberia slip and fall injury lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers could fight on your behalf to hold the responsible parties accountable and pursue the damages you deserve. Call us today at (337) 777-7777 to speak with a team member. The initial consultation is free.
Call or text (337)-547-2777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form