Cycling is a heart-healthy way to beat the heavy traffic on roads in Church Point, Louisiana. However, it is still a risky activity. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 130,000 cyclists get hurt in bicycle accidents yearly.
You could receive compensation if someone else’s negligence hurt you while riding your bike. A Church Point bicycle accident lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you navigate the insurance claims or lawsuit process. We can talk with you about your accident during a free consultation. We can also start working on your case at no upfront cost. We get paid only if you recover compensation.
How Our Church Point Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
After a bicycle accident, you could face weeks or months of recovery time. You likely will accumulate medical bills during this time that could strain your family’s finances, especially if you are the sole breadwinner. The last thing on your mind should be navigating a challenging legal process, especially when you don’t feel well.
The liable party’s insurance company and its legal team will do everything possible to avoid paying the compensation amount you deserve. It may even blame you for the accident to limit its liability, which commonly happens in these cases. We can handle your case so you can focus on getting better.
Our Church Point bicycle accident lawyer can help your case in various ways. We can:
- Conduct a thorough, independent investigation of the bike crash and its cause
- Identify all the liable parties in your accident and prove their negligence
- Interview all witnesses and record their statements
- Collect the relevant evidence and use it to build your case
- Assess your injuries and other damages to calculate your compensation
- Negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company
- File a lawsuit and represent you in a court trial if necessary
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accident lawyer serving Church Point, call (337) 777-7777
Compensatory Damages in a Church Point Bicycle Accident
If you were in a recent bicycle accident that someone else caused, you shouldn’t have to bear the financial burden. Some of the damages our Church Point bicycle accident lawyer could recover for you include:
- Past, present, and ongoing medical expenses
- Reduced or lost quality of life
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages and benefits
- Mental anguish
- Lost earning capacity
- Property damage
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of life enjoyment
Church Point Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Louisiana Sets Statute of Limitations Deadline for Injury Lawsuits
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, you have limited time to take legal action against the negligent parties. Under Louisiana CC Art.3492, you generally have only one year to file a bicycle accident lawsuit.
CC Art. 2315.2 stipulates that you also have one year to file a wrongful death action if you recently lost a loved one in a Church Point bike collision. If you fail to adhere to this time limit, your case likely will be dismissed. We will file your case on time if you hire us to represent you.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Church Point
Some bicycle accidents in Church Point happen because of inadequate bike trails and lanes. Most cyclists must share congested roadways with huge trucks and passenger vehicles, which can pose a significant risk to cyclists.
Some of the major causes of bicycle accidents in Church Point are:
- Distracted driving
- Improper and illegal lane switching
- Failure to obey basic traffic rules and signs
- Driving while intoxicated
- Aggressive driving
- Poorly marked bike trails and lanes
- Failure to yield the right way to cyclists
- Inexperienced drivers and cyclists
- Driving too closely to cyclists
- Riding a bicycle against the flow of traffic
- Lack of dedicated bicycle lanes in some regions
- Opening car doors without checking for cyclists
- Backing out of a parking spot without checking for cyclists
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Injuries After Bicycle Accidents
Cyclists lack the same protection as occupants of passenger vehicles and trucks. Therefore, they absorb the most impact whenever they collide with a car, truck, or bus. They also don’t have safety belts or airbags protecting them when a crash happens, which explains why they usually sustain devastating injuries.
Common injuries in bicycle accidents include:
- Pelvic fractures
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Broken bones
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Eye injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Lost limbs
- Degloving injuries
- Nerve damage
- Chest and neck injuries
- Sprains and dislocations
Knowing Louisiana’s Bicycle Laws in Louisiana Can Help You Stay Safe
As a cyclist residing in Church Point, it’s essential to know the state’s bike laws. This will help keep you safe and aware of your responsibilities as a road user.
Here are some of the Louisiana bike laws you should know:
- A bicycle is widely recognized as a vehicle in Louisiana, so cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities on the road as motorists.
- All cyclists must ride as close to the right of the road as possible unless they’re overtaking other cyclists headed in the same direction.
- Cyclists in Louisiana cannot cling to motor vehicles when riding their bicycles.
- Cyclists must never ride more than two side by side.
- Wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle is not mandatory, but cyclists under age 12 must wear one when riding in public.
- The state’s DUI laws don’t apply to cyclists, but a drunk cyclist could face public intoxication charges.
- Bicycles are prohibited from carrying more passengers than they can safely hold.
Contact Us Today for Help With a Church Point Bicycle Accident
After a bicycle accident, discussing your case with a Church Point bicycle accident lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help get your case moving. We can build a case against the defendant to recover the maximum compensation available. To date, we have recovered more than $200 million in settlements and verdicts, so we are 100% committed to our clients’ financial recovery.
We are ready to start working on your case on contingency, meaning you only pay legal fees if we recover compensation for you. Call us now for a free case review.