A car accident can be a life-changing event, and not for the better. The more serious the car crash, the more pain and uncertainty follow in its wake. Millions of people are using their apps to book an Uber rideshare because it’s convenient. But what happens when you’re a passenger in an Uber vehicle, and an accident occurs?
A Kenner Uber accident lawyer with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can review your accident and tell you what your options for financial recovery are. You can get your questions answered during a free consultation with us today. We work on contingency and require no upfront payment to start on your case. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you.
Who Will Compensate Me for My Injuries After a Kenner Uber Accident?
Filing for compensation after a passenger is injured during an Uber rideshare accident can be a complicated task. Determining who is responsible for the victim’s injuries and losses is one of the biggest challenges of these cases.
Depending on which stage of the ride your Uber driver was in during the accident, liability could fall on the driver’s insurance company, the other driver’s insurance company, or Uber’s insurance company. Our Kenner Uber accident lawyer can review your situation and determine who is liable for the crash.
When Uber Is and Is Not Liable
Uber could be held liable if:
- The driver was logged into the app and waiting for a ride request.
- The Uber driver was en route to pick up a passenger who’d logged a request via the app.
- The passenger was in the car and being transported when the accident occurred.
- The car accident happened when the passenger was being dropped off at their destination point.
Uber is not liable if the driver is logged out of the app when they were giving a passenger a lift when the accident occurred. In this scenario, the rideshare driver’s personal car insurance policy could be liable for the passenger’s and Uber driver’s damages. If the at-fault driver of another vehicle is found responsible, then that driver’s insurer is liable for compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a uber accident lawyer serving Kenner, call (337) 777-7777
Uber Accident Insurance Policy Limits
Uber insurance policy limits are based on whether the driver was signed in or out of the app during the accident. This also applies if they were in one of three periods of driving while signed into the app. Being signed in signifies the driver was officially clocked in as an Uber driver.
Uber’s Three Periods of Insurance Coverage
Below are the three periods an Uber driver can be signed in when on duty:
- Period 1: During this period, the Uber driver is signed into the app but has not yet accepted a request for a ride. If an accident occurs during Period 1, Uber covers up to $50,000 per person for physical injuries and $100,000 total for any physical injuries per car accident. Uber will pay up to $30,000 for property damage per car accident. It provides additional liability insurance of up to $200,000.
- Period 2: The Uber driver enters Period 2 when they accept a trip request.
- Period 3: The Uber driver enters Period 3 when the passenger is picked up and is in transit.
During Period 2 and Period 3, Uber provides up to $1 million in third-party commercial car insurance coverage. This amount of insurance is comforting. However, Uber’s insurance company has been known to fight injured parties’ claims vigorously. If you are in this position, you can seek legal counsel from our Kenner Uber accident lawyer, who will protect your rights and help you seek the financial compensation you need to recover from the accident.
Kenner Uber Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Recoverable Damages After an Uber Accident in Kenner
Once we bring you on as our client, we will get to work right away on establishing your compensation case. We will review all your losses and the ways the accident has affected your life. Before we can determine how much you could recover, we will assess your financial and non-financial damages before we come up with a total amount.
We will pursue compensation for your:
Medical expenses: Past, present, and ongoing healthcare costs, including emergency care you received at the accident scene
Lost wages, benefits: If you missed time at work because of the accident
Reduced earning capacity: If the accident will have a long-term impact that makes you change jobs or stop working altogether
Pain and suffering: Damages in this category include the hardships you physically, mentally, and emotionally faced because of the accident. This can include disability, disfigurement, and emotional and mental trauma.
Why Hire a Kenner Uber Accident Lawyer After the Accident?
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers will file your claim or lawsuit so that you could recover fair and just compensation for your Uber-related damages. We will negotiate a settlement for your injuries and property damages with the liable party’s insurer, whether that’s Uber’s insurer or the insurers for the Uber driver or another at-fault driver. We can even help you pursue a claim with your insurer.
Negotiating with insurance companies after an Uber rideshare accident is daunting and could lead to a lawsuit if we aren’t able to reach a settlement for you. There are many variables involved, making them complex to deal with on your own. Insurance companies are looking out for their bottom line. They are not looking out for you, but we are.
Uber Accident Cases Are on a Deadline in Louisiana
If you are thinking about taking legal action after a Kenner Uber accident, you have one year from the accident date to do so, per CC Art. 3492. We urge you to act promptly to protect your right to sue the liable party. If you miss this deadline, you could lose your right to hold the liable party responsible for your losses.
If you lost a loved one and want to file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages, you also have one year to do so from the deceased’s death date, per CC Art. 2315.2.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
From Kenner Uber Passenger to Kenner Uber Accident Victim
Here are some steps to take care of your business and care for your well-being after an Uber accident in Kenner, LA. You can always reach out to us for professional legal care.
- Take immediate responsibility for your safety. If the Uber driver hasn’t moved the vehicle out of the flow of traffic, ask the driver to do so.
- Check everyone in the vehicle for injuries starting with yourself.
- Call 911. If there are serious injuries, ask for an ambulance.
- Even if you have no visible injuries, get a medical exam sooner than later. Some physical injuries take days to surface. You may also experience psychological or emotional trauma.
- Give your statement to the police at the crash site. A police report will back you up should you have to take legal action against the at-fault driver.
- Take photos of the crash site with your cell phone, especially damage to the vehicles. Shoot from multiple angles. If there are skid marks on the asphalt, photograph them.
- Get the name of your Uber driver and insurance information. Also, snap photos of the license plates of vehicles involved in the crash.
- Take the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Note the date and time of the car accident.
- Report the accident to Uber as soon as possible.
Once you hav completed these steps, you can call us for a free consultation to learn how a Kenner Uber accident lawyer with our firm could help. We will advise you on how to best proceed regarding your legal options.
Call Us Today for Legal Representation After a Kenner Uber Accident
If an Uber driver struck your car, hit you as a pedestrian, or ran into you while you were on a bike, you have the same rights as an Uber passenger in a vehicle accident. First and foremost, make your personal safety a priority. Then follow the same steps listed above.
The team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is ready to help you seek compensation from the liable party in your Uber accident in Kenner, LA. We will protect your rights. Call us now to speak to our team member about your free consultation today.