There really is no “average” settlement for a head injury. The amounts paid out for these settlements vary widely—ranging between thousands and millions of dollars—depending on multiple factors.
Each case is unique, but some of our resources may give you a better idea of what to expect for your head injury case.
Factors That Affect Settlement Amounts for Head Injuries
The challenge in assigning a value to a head injury lies in the subjectivity of this type of injury. Insurance adjusters and jury members may find it difficult to verify the symptoms that stem from a brain injury.
Furthermore, while some symptoms manifest from temporary damage and subside as the brain repairs itself, other symptoms indicate a severe brain injury that can last a lifetime, requiring compensation that addresses life care plans for the patient.
Generally, the factors that influence the settlement for a head injury include:
- Severity/prognosis of the injury-related symptoms: A patient suffering from severe long-term or permanent injuries typically earns more compensation than those who suffer mild or temporary symptoms.
- Financial resources of the liable party: Head and brain injuries can generate massive damages throughout patients’ lives. Regardless of the value of your claim, if the liable party’s insurance maxes out well below that number—with no additional assets for paying a judgment—your settlement is limited by that coverage. Finding multiple legally liable parties can work to get you the compensation you need.
- How strong the case is: The strength of a personal injury case hinges on fault for the injury and the ability to prove negligence, causation, and damages. The more evidence available to support these claims, the stronger your case.
For a free legal consultation, call (337) 777-7777
Our Firm’s Successful Traumatic Brain Injury Settlements in Louisiana
While we can’t put an exact figure on your case without a thorough evaluation, you can get an idea of your potential winnings from our previous case results. Our attorneys have helped injured clients win over $200 million in settlements and verdicts. We have the experience and resources to fight for a favorable outcome for your case, too.
For two of our head injury clients, we managed to settle for:
- $5,250,000 for an auto accident resulting in a brain injury
- $787,000 for a client who hit an illegally parked car and suffered a brain injury
Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Settlements
While accident victims typically win larger settlements for more severe injuries, you can still recover much-needed financial help for a mild traumatic brain injury like a concussion. If you received a concussion in a car accident, you can still claim damages. Here are some factors that might affect your settlement:
- If you have long-term side effects like post-concussion syndrome
- If you have multiple related conditions like whiplash and concussion
- If you missed work to recover from your injury, or if you spent time in the hospital for your recovery
Our team can provide more information about how much your mild traumatic brain injury settlement might be worth. There is no brain injury settlement calculator because your circumstances are unique, so your settlement should reflect that.
Our Law Firm will Fight to Get You the Settlement You Deserve for Your Head Injury
Consider pursuing your legal action soon to give us more time to build your case and satisfy Louisiana’s statute of limitations on personal injury cases (CC Art. 3492) or wrongful death cases (CC Art. 2315.2). Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation.