A personal injury lawyer is your best line of defense when you are wrongfully injured due to the willful ignorance, incompetence, clumsiness, or disregard of another individual. In cases when you are injured due to no fault of your own, the best personal injury lawyer in Lafayette will fight for you to receive the compensation you justly deserve. But how should you choose between the wide array of accident attorneys? Who should you hire.
Follow these 5 tips to make the best, most rewarding decision.
You can begin by searching online for a list of personal injury lawyers. The website for each one should include the following:
- The location of the practice.
- The type of attorney—a real estate lawyer will not have the trial experience, negotiation experience, personal injury understanding, or mastery of negligence law that a personal injury lawyer does.
- The focus of the practice—if you were injured in a car crash, you will need a car accident lawyer in Lafayette as opposed to a lawyer who specializes in product failure.
For a free legal consultation, call (337) 777-7777
Consider Each Practice’s Experience
Your online search should yield several results. It is time to start filtering them down to the most talented few. Start by doing the following:
- Search reviews to find the lawyer with the most positive reviews and strongest reputation.
- Revisit websites to determine if each practice has several years of experience in their specific field and focus—as an auto accident lawyer in Lafayette, for example.
- Check your state’s bar website to find out if they have a disciplinary record, or formal complaints and transgressions, filed against them.
- Most importantly, search each attorney’s winning record. You will want to hire an attorney who can win your case.
- Also consider following a personal referral.
Pick up the Phone
Now it is time to make some phone calls. Call your state bar association and ask for consumer assistance. Every state provides assistance for citizens looking for an attorney.
Next, call the county’s bar association and ask for a referral. They should be familiar with the attorneys in your county and may even know many of them personally. Are any of the lawyers on your short list recommended by the county bar?
Most importantly, call each law firm you are considering and ask them some questions.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Ask Important Questions
Each attorney’s office should be able to answer the following questions for you before you sit for a formal, paid consultation:
- What is the statute of limitations for this type of case?
- Have you taken on cases like mine in the past? How often have they gone to trial? What were the outcomes of these cases?
- Will I only be working with one attorney or with a team?
- How soon can I expect my case to be resolved?
- How do you charge your clients? Do you charge an hourly rate or a contingency fee? What percentage do you expect?
- Does this firm carry insurance?
You may then want to consult with the attorneys that meet your standards. Be aware that this may be pricey if you visit several firms.
Arrive at a Decision
Now it is time to make a decision. If you need a car accident attorney, there is only so much that research can do for you. You will need to follow your intuition. How would you judge the demeanor of each attorney? Do they seem trustworthy? Do they seem dedicated to helping you win your case, or is it simply another set of billable hours to them? How do you feel about their fee level?
Finding the best personal injury lawyer in Lafayette may seem like a difficult task, but if you follow the above advice, you can narrow down a horde of potential choices down to a few qualified, experienced, and dedicated attorneys who will fight on your behalf so that you can receive the compensation you deserve for your injury.