The product known as Roundup, created by the Monsanto corporation, is one of the most common pesticides used in the United States. After creating Roundup in 1974, Monsanto advertised the chemical as a safe alternative to DDT, stating that it was biodegradable and relatively safe for human exposure. This resulted in many farmers using Roundup on their crops and homeowners across America using the chemical for weed control. Reach out to a Lafayette Mass Torts Lawyer to discuss your situation.
Unfortunately, we now know that Monsanto was aware of the potentially dangerous side effects of Roundup and failed to warn the public about them. While this product is still legal in the United States, many people who suffered injuries due to exposure to Roundup have taken Monsanto to court to seek compensation for their injuries. If you believe your health problems resulted from exposure to Roundup, a Lafayette Roundup lawyer could help you file a civil suit demanding restitution for your damages.
What Makes Roundup So Dangerous?
Roundup is the trade name for the chemical known as glyphosate. Glyphosate is an herbicide designed to kill weeds while leaving desirable plants unharmed. Monsanto even developed genetically modified seeds that were specifically immune to the poisons contained in Roundup. At the same time, they marketed Roundup as safe for use on everything from farmers’ crops to golf courses and home gardens.
Medical studies conducted around the world have since identified various health problems in people exposed to Roundup, ranging from ADHD and autism to birth defects and cancer. In fact, many countries in Europe have completely banned Roundup.
Unfortunately, Monsanto also covered up the known adverse effects that exposure to glyphosate can have on the human body. In fact, a 2015 report from the International Agency for Research on Cancer found glyphosate to be “probably carcinogenic to humans.” Many lawsuits allege that Monsanto knew Roundup was likely to cause cancer and did nothing to inform or protect customers.
Health Conditions Associated with Roundup
A common condition associated with excessive Roundup exposure is non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a form of cancer that begins in the lymphatic system, which is part of the body’s immune system. Other conditions linked to Roundup exposure may include:
- Alzheimer’s disease: Characterized by progressive mental deterioration
- Celiac disease: Makes the small intestine hypersensitive to gluten, which can lead to difficulty digesting food
- Diabetes: Weakens the body’s ability to produce insulin
- Depression: A mental health illness that affects how you feel, the way you think, and how you act
- Anemia: A deficiency of red blood cells or hemoglobin in the blood that can cause excessive bleeding
- Colitis: An inflamed lining of the colon that causes abdominal cramping and weight loss
These are only some of the potential results of prolonged Roundup exposure. If you have suffered any condition that may be linked to Roundup, our lawyers can help you determine what legal steps to take. You can speak with a Lafayette personal injury lawyer to help you pursue compensation.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Options for People with Roundup-Caused Conditions
Civil tort law allows people who are injured because of the actions of other parties to demand compensation for their injuries. This includes holding corporations liable when their actions or products result in an injury or death. Anyone diagnosed with any health problem linked to Roundup may wish to consult with a Roundup lawyer.
Mass tort attorneys can help people investigate their claims long before they go to court. In the process, they could work with medical professionals and conduct independent research into the effects of using Roundup and whether Monsanto knew about the potential risks of this product. They could then represent clients in civil court cases to demand compensation for their injuries.
Recoverable Damages in a Roundup Lawsuit
People with Roundup-caused illnesses have the option to seek compensation for the adverse side effects it caused. You can seek damages for economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include any objective monetary losses, while non-economic losses are subjective. An attorney from our firm can help you determine the cost of your economic and non-economic damages, which may include:
- Lost income: Treatments for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma can be time-consuming and hard on your body. If you have to miss work due to any treatments associated with Roundup use, you could include the money you lost in your list of requested damages. You may also include any future lost earnings if your capacity to work is lessened due to the long-term effects of treatments.
- Medical bills: When receiving cancer treatments, medical bills can go way beyond what insurance will pay. You can include any out-of-pocket costs due to medical treatments in your claim. This includes ongoing and future medical care, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and other healthcare-related costs.
- Pain and suffering: You can also include any physical or mental pain you have suffered due to Roundup exposure and your resulting illness in your claim. Several factors can affect the value of compensation you may receive from pain and suffering, including if a medical care provider can support the claim and if your diagnosis aligns with the extent of pain and suffering you claim.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages may be awarded on top of other damages to deter the defendant and other companies from continuing to sell dangerous products. Monsanto should be held accountable for misleading the public about the safety of its product.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we are experienced with Roundup claims and can help you seek the compensation you deserve.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
You Have a Limited Time to Act
Louisiana statute CC Art. 3492 states you have one year to file a claim for personal injuries. If you miss the deadline, you will likely not be able to receive compensation for injuries or conditions you developed due to Roundup exposure. An attorney from our firm will be with you every step of the way to make sure you don’t miss any deadlines regarding your case.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
Let a Roundup Attorney Help You Fight Against Monsanto’s Negligence
In certain cases, the use of Roundup has been linked to rare blood cancers and other health problems. If you used Monsanto’s Roundup and were diagnosed with one of these conditions, you may have the option to demand compensation in court.
A Lafayette Roundup lawyer could help you through every stage of the process. From conducting an initial investigation into the case to consulting with medical professionals and pursuing the case in court, an attorney could stand by your side every step of the way. There is a limited time to pursue a case, so contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777 today to get started on yours.