If you were using a crosswalk or walking on the sidewalk when a motorist hit you, you can pursue compensation. You can make a claim with their insurance provider or file a lawsuit.
A Grand Coteau pedestrian accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you recover damages so you can put your life back in order.
The Role of a Grand Coteau Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Being involved in any road accident can be a traumatic experience, especially if you’re a pedestrian. Such victims lack the protection that vehicle occupants and bikers have, so they’re more likely to sustain severe injuries and other damages. Although you can file a claim to recoup hospital bills and other damages, the process of filing a claim is complex and challenging.
A Grand Coteau pedestrian accident lawyer could offer you legal help through all stages of your claim by playing the following roles:
- Provide Professional Advice: Your lawyer will explain the claim process and your rights. The lawyer will advise you to seek medical care to ensure your claim can be supported by medical records. Depending on your case, the lawyer might also advise you not to provide any written statement to the insurer to protect your claim.
- Collect Evidence: To build a strong case, your lawyer will collect medical bills and records, witness statements, and police reports. Your lawyer might also revisit the accident scene to gather more evidence and work with experts to provide more insight into your case.
- Negotiate a Fair Settlement: When you hire a law firm, they’ll handle all aspects of negotiations with the insurance company. The lawyer will identify all the potential damages you can claim and estimate the value of your losses.
- Represent You in Court: Some personal injury cases are settled out-of-court. If a settlement cannot be agreed upon without third-party intervention, your lawyer can file a lawsuit and take the matter to court. It’s your lawyer’s responsibility to offer legal representation in court and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer serving Grand Coteau, call (337) 777-7777
Why Are Pedestrian Accidents Serious?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), pedestrian accidents are quite serious due to the following statistics:
- Approximately 17% of all traffic fatalities involve pedestrians.
- Each year in the U.S., more than 62,000 pedestrian accidents happen.
- Hit-and-run drivers cause about one in every four pedestrian accidents.
- About 70% of people killed during pedestrian accidents are males.
- For a period of the past 20 years, there has been an increase of about 3% in fatal pedestrian accidents.
- The majority of pedestrian accidents happen between 6. p.m. and midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.
- When pedestrian accidents occur at night, it’s primarily due to drunken driving.
As alarming as these statistics might be, they don’t show the trauma and pain that the victims experience. What can help relieve some suffering is filing a claim and holding the negligent party or parties accountable.
Grand Coteau Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Pedestrian Accident Injuries Can Be Costly
Pedestrian accident injuries can range from minor to severe. Either way, they can require expensive medical care. Pedestrian accident victims mays suffer:
- Broken Bones and Fractures: It’s not surprising that fractures and broken bones are common in pedestrian accidents. Broken ribs, legs, arms, and ankles happen due to forceful impacts. Severity can range from fracture to total break. For some fractured bones to heal and rest, they’ll require surgery.
- Spinal Cord and Neck Injuries: The forceful impact can cause severe damage to the neck and spinal cord after an accident. A common neck injury is a whiplash, which happens when the head suddenly moves back and forth. Extensive damage to the spinal cord can cause partial or total paralysis, depending on the severity of the injury.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): Car accidents in the U.S. are the leading cause of TBIs. They happen when the brain gets damaged due to an injury to the head. The injury can result from a penetrating wound or a blunt blow to the head.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: You might think of soft tissue injuries as minor, but this is erroneous. Soft tissue injuries that are not immediately apparent or noticeable until several days after the accident can be life-threatening.
- Facial Injuries: A pedestrian accident caused by impact can lead to facial injuries. Surgical correction may be required if the facial injuries are severe.
When Another Party is Liable for a Pedestrian Accident
Although each accident is unique, pedestrian accidents usually involve some form of negligence, such as:
- Drunk Driving: Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs easily causes accidents due to impairment, and this act usually attracts criminal charges. The driver can still be held liable civilly if not convicted since a civil case is separate from a criminal case.
- Distracted Driving: Negligent drivers can take their eyes off the road and cause an accident. Texting or speaking on a phone while driving is a common distraction, and such decisions usually have tragic consequences on the road.
- Failure To Yield: Violations of lights or traffic signs are common failures to yield. Some drivers fail to yield to pedestrians who have the right-of-way, for instance, pedestrians using a crosswalk to cross the street.
- Right-turn Accidents: Pedestrians walking in the same direction as vehicles are at risk of being struck by motorists turning right.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Compensation for Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
After a pedestrian accident, there are various compensatory damages you con seek, including:
- Medical costs, including hospital bills, ambulance rides, doctors’ fees, and prescription medications
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of income and future earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses, e.g., hiring nannies or buying wheelchairs
- Loss of consortium
The Grand Coteau Pedestrian Accident Attorneys With Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Can Help
A pedestrian accident can be a horrific experience. As a victim, you might be entitled to compensation to cover medical expenses and other damages. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we’re ready to handle all the aspects of your claim as you focus on recovery.
Our Grand Coteau pedestrian accident lawyer can identify the damages you can recover, build a case against the at-fault party, and handle the negotiations with the insurer. Contact us today for a free consultation.