If your pedestrian accident claim was denied by GEICO, you have options to appeal that decision and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Insurance companies like GEICO don’t make money paying out claims, which is why they may deny valid claims for lack of evidence or timeliness. They hope you’ll just accept the decision and give up. But you can keep fighting.
What Should I Do If GEICO Denies My Pedestrian Accident Claim?
If GEICO denies your claim after a pedestrian accident, you can file an appeal, which may include sending additional evidence to the company for their review.
If you believe their stated reason for denying your claim is invalid, you may consider filing a bad faith claim. Insurance companies must avoid “unfair or deceptive” practices, per RS 22:1964. If GEICO did not follow these guidelines while handling your claim, they may be guilty of bad faith insurance practices.
You can also work with a lawyer to file a lawsuit against the driver or their insurance company to recover the compensation you deserve. In many cases, insurance companies like GEICO don’t want to go to court, so they prefer to settle claims through negotiation instead.
For a free legal consultation, call (337) 777-7777
Possible Reasons GEICO Denied Your Pedestrian Accident Claim
If the motorist who hit you has GEICO car insurance, they should report the accident and damage to GEICO. However, the driver may fail to file a claim, try to blame you for the accident, or say that your claim is fraudulent.
Here are some reasons why GEICO insurance may have denied your pedestrian accident claim:
- Lapsed policy: The driver’s policy lapsed or was cancelled due to not paying premiums or another reason.
- Lack of evidence: GEICO claims you didn’t provide enough evidence to prove the accident happened or that their policyholder was at fault. Key evidence you can submit in your appeal may include the police report, medical records, witness testimony, and photo or video evidence.
- Wrongful blame placed on you: The driver blames you, and their insurance company believes them. This may happen if your claim also lacks enough evidence to prove otherwise.
- You did not file the claim on time: Insurance companies typically require you to file a claim within a few days or weeks of an accident. However, it can take time to calculate the true cost of your damages. You may have also been in the hospital or otherwise seeking treatment and weren’t able to contact the insurance company.
If you don’t get an official reason in your first denial notice, ask for one in your demand letter. Knowing the reason for your denial can help you prepare a stronger appeal with the evidence you need to prove you are entitled to compensation.
Benefits Of Working With A Pedestrian Accident Lawyer When You Have A Denied Claim From GEICO
When you must send a demand letter, go through the appeals process, and complete other steps, the whole process can be very stressful, complex, and time-consuming. This can put more strain on you and your family after an accident as serious and life-threatening as a pedestrian accident.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer to take care of the claims, appeals, and negotiations processes can take the burden off you. Here are some key benefits of working with a pedestrian accident lawyer on your GEICO claim appeal:
- The insurance company may take your demand letter and further actions for compensation more seriously when you have a lawyer backing you.
- Your pedestrian injury lawyer can communicate with the insurance company on your behalf.
- Your attorney can determine what a fair settlement looks like based on your medical expenses, injury prognosis, wage losses, and more.
- Your lawyer can fully investigate the accident and gather evidence to prove the at-fault driver’s negligence.
- Your personal injury attorney can build the strongest possible appeal to make it harder for GEICO to deny your claim again.
- You’ll have guidance from your pedestrian accident lawyer on whether to accept a settlement offer.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers To Get Help With Your GEICO Pedestrian Accident Claim
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is proud to serve Lafayette, Alexandria, Marksville, New Orleans, and other parts of Louisiana. We have more than 250 years of combined legal experience under our belts, and we’re dedicated to helping victims of pedestrian accidents and their families get the compensation they deserve.
If your pedestrian accident claim was denied by GEICO, get a free consultation with one of our personal injury team members today.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form