It’s no secret that working as a seaman comes with a unique set of challenges and hazards inherent to the job. The possibility of off-shore accidents and even personal injury is a risk that seamen and other maritime workers face every day simply doing their jobs. Many of these brave workers live right here in Eunice.
If you’ve been injured in a maritime work-related accident, you could be eligible for compensation. A Eunice seaman injury lawyer from our firm can take on the hard work of your case so that you can focus on resting and healing from your injuries.
Common Seaman Injuries
- Burns (chemical and fire)
- Lacerations and contusions
- Broken and fractured bones
- Head and neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Crushing injuries
- Hypothermia and frostbite
For a free legal consultation with a seaman injury lawyer serving Eunice, call (337) 777-7777
What Should I do Immediately After My Seaman Injury?
Immediately following an accident there are several things you can do to safeguard your health and your case. Here are some tips to keep in mind after being injured:
- Get medical care immediately after your accident. Do not wait until the next day or week before seeking treatment; if you are at sea when the injury occurs, get treatment as soon as possible but treat what you can with what you have onboard. Make sure to tell your doctor everything that happened during the incident, including any symptoms you may be experiencing after the fact.
- Report the injury. This is vital and must be done as soon as possible. Under the Jones Act, you only have seven days to make this report. Your lawyer can be with you if you wish.
- Document your injury and its effects. Take pictures of your injuries, before and after treatment, document pain levels, ease of completing tasks, etc.
- Do not sign any documents without first consulting your lawyer.
- Keep copies of every document related to your injury. Keep a written record of events and appointments, along with any relevant receipts of medical treatment you have paid for as a result of your injury.
Eunice Seaman Injury Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Maritime Laws That May Apply to You
Various maritime laws apply to you if you are injured while working aboard a ship, as a dockworker, or in other related seaman positions. Your lawyer can explore the following maritime laws for your particular case.
- The Jones Act allows injured seamen to sue negligent employers for compensation. To qualify, you must work on a navigating vessel and spend at least 30 percent of your working time onboard.
- Longshore & Harbor Workers Compensation Act (LHWCA) covers maritime workers injured while working on or near waterways and applies to longshoremen, dockers, harbor workers, and more.
A Eunice seaman injury lawyer can tell you more and determine which federal law you may qualify for.
Click to contact our Eunice Maritime Injury Lawyers today
How Can a Seaman Injury Lawyer Help Me?
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, our attorneys can work hard to help you pursue fair compensation for your injuries. Our goal is to maximize your recovery and minimize your financial losses. Beginning with your free case evaluation, our seaman injury lawyers can take the time to listen to the details of your situation and answer any questions you may have. Then together, we can create our plan of attack moving forward.
Additionally, your attorney can keep you informed of your case’s progress throughout the claims process. Your lawyer can handle negotiations with the insurance company and your employer’s legal team so you don’t have to. Your lawyer can investigate your accident and find out who was truly responsible and how to prove it. If necessary, your attorney could go to court on your behalf to obtain a settlement if negotiations fail.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Much Will a Eunice Seaman Lawyer Charge Me?
The aftermath of an off-shore accident can be devastating. Your injuries could be life-changing. Medical care these days can be very expensive. If you’ve had to take time off work to recover, this financial strain can be increased.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we know every dollar is important. We’ll review your case in a free consultation. In addition, our off-shore accident lawyers work on a contingency basis. This means if we win and you receive compensation, your lawyer will simply take his or her legal fees out of a percentage of your total settlement package. If we lose, you don’t owe us anything.
Death on the High Seas Act
If your loved one died due to their seaman injury, we can still help you with a legal claim. You could be eligible to receive compensation for final medical bills, lost wages, loss of companionship, pain and suffering of your loved one, nurture for dependent children, or even funeral and burial expenses. Benefits could be paid to a spouse, children, or even parents of the seaman.
The attorneys at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can work on behalf of your family to earn you compensation for your loved one’s death. While no amount of money can bring your loved one back, it can help pay for their final expenses and provide you with a small cushion for the future. Your lawyer can tell you more and gently guide you through the legal side of this difficult time.
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
Being a seaman comes with many risks. If you are involved in a maritime accident, contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers as soon as possible to get started on your legal claim for compensation. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form