If you have been injured in a bicycle accident and filed a claim against the at-fault party’s automobile liability insurance company, you might need to know what to do if your bicycle accident claim was denied by State Farm.
You have the right to fight the denial if you have a valid claim. Insurance companies are not allowed to wrongfully deny legitimate claims against their policyholders. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help protect your rights and work to get the compensation you deserve.
An Overview of State Farm Insurance
State Farm released its end-of-year 2021 numbers. In business for 250 years, State Farm is the largest automobile insurance and largest home insurance provider in the United States. The company has more than 53,000 employees and over 87 million policies and accounts. Its total revenue for 2021, which includes earned investment income, realized capital gains (losses), and premium revenue, was $82.2 billion.
On its website, State Farm delivers a promise of “[f]ostering a culture of ethics, integrity, and accountability to ensure we deliver on our promises to customers, agents, employees, and communities.” In other words, State Farm says that it will act in good faith.
For a free legal consultation, call (337) 777-7777
What to Do If State Farm Denies Your Bicycle Accident Claim
The first step is to get in writing from the claims adjuster the reason for the denial. Sometimes, people find out that the adjuster made a mistake or that the at-fault driver did not tell the adjuster the truth.
If you can clear up the misconception, so much the better. It is often helpful to provide additional information and documentation to the insurance company’s investigator or claims adjuster to provide a more accurate and thorough version of the facts.
There is also the possibility the insurance company might blame you for the accident. In that situation, you will want to find out the basis for this claim. Realize that a denial can be simply a delay tactic to try to make you miss the filing deadline and lose the right to seek compensation from the party who caused the bicycle accident.
How Much Settlement You Can Recover for Your Bicycle Crash Case
A fair settlement in your bike accident claim will depend on the unique circumstances of your situation. Here are some of the common categories of money damages in bicycle accident claims:
- Lost wages if you missed paychecks because of your injuries. This can include the time interval right after the crash as well as when you are recuperating from your wounds and medical procedures.
- Medical expenses for the treatment of your injuries. This category can include emergency medical intervention, follow-up treatment, and any ongoing health care procedures you need because of your wounds.
- Pain and suffering. This category encompasses the emotional distress, inconvenience, and physical discomfort of your injuries.
Depending on their individual facts, people injured in bicycle accidents can have losses in addition to these.
Click to contact our personal injury lawyers today
Four Things to Do After Getting Hurt in a Bicycle Accident
Assuming that you already went for a medical evaluation right after the crash, you should consider taking these steps. If you have not yet received professional medical care for your injuries, you will want to do so immediately. The insurance company will be more likely to deny your claim if you do not have medical proof that you got hurt.
- Take the time to get the rest you need to heal properly. The human body is a wondrous thing, however, sometimes it needs rest in order to recuperate.
- Get a personal injury lawyer on board right away to preserve the evidence you need to prove your claim. Another advantage of having a bicycle accident attorney handle your claim is that you will be free to focus on getting better physically.
- Take a break from social media. You might want to let your friends know about the bicycle accident, but posting on your social media account could backfire on you. The insurance company will likely get access to your account and take your posts out of context to use against you.
- Complete the medical procedures your doctor prescribes for the treatment of your wounds. Although they might be inconvenient and uncomfortable, they can help you get optimal healing. Also, this strategy takes away the argument that you could have healed better with all the medical treatment.
Every situation is different, so you might need to take additional steps to protect the financial value of your bicycle accident claim.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Is Ready to Help You Today
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we help individuals who get injured because of the carelessness of other people. You do not have to accept the wrongful denial of your claim for your bike accident.
We will be happy to talk with you at no charge about your situation. We offer a free initial consultation with no obligation. If we take your case, we will do so on a “no fee unless you win” basis. Contact us today and let us help you fight for your rights.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form