Dockside workers’ injuries can be covered by the Jones Act, though they generally may not be. Coverage under the Jones Act requires a certain amount of time spent on-ship.
Therefore, dockside workers may have a better chance of receiving coverage through the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA) or other types of legal action.
Who the LHWCA Provides Coverage for
The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) explains that the LHWCA covers:
- Longshore workers
- Dockside construction workers
It states that those in “traditional maritime occupations” may receive financial coverage through the LHWCA if they suffer a work-related injury or illness.
What the LHWCA Covers
Per the DOL, those covered by the LHWCA may receive coverage for:
- Lost wages
- Medical care
- Rehabilitation to help the employee get back to work
- Survivor benefits in the case of a work-related death
If you are a dockside worker with an injury or illness, you may receive coverage from the LHWCA. The same is true if you are the loved one of an injured, ill, or deceased dockside worker. Our team understands when the Jones Act can cover dockside workers’ injuries.
We also understand when the LHWCA is a better option for seeking compensation. In some cases, we might advise bringing a lawsuit.
We can file a lawsuit in addition to an LHWCA or Jones Act claim. Whatever the appropriate course of action is for you or your loved one, we will put the plan into motion.
Losses That a Lawsuit Covers
We may advise bringing a lawsuit if:
- Your loved one suffered a wrongful death
- A third party caused injuries or illness that were outside of normal work conditions
- Other conditions exist that make a lawsuit appropriate
A successful case will cover the same losses as a successful LHWCA claim—medical costs, lost income, death benefits, and professional rehabilitation. You may also receive compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished earning power
- Permanent disability
- Loss of quality of life
- Damages caused by a wrongful death
The monetary cost of your injury, illness, or loss could be high. We will pursue a financial recovery to cover your losses.
For a free legal consultation, call (337) 777-7777
We Handle Injury and Illness Cases for Dockside Workers
Our firm will handle the entirety of your case if you are:
- A dockside worker who suffered a work-related injury
- A dockside worker who has become ill because of work-related conditions
- The loved one of a dockside work who passed away or is unable to act on their own because of a work-related injury or illness
We take an approach specific to each client’s case. For each case, our goal is to maximize the compensation that our client can receive.
Determining Why Your Illness or Injury Happened
Understanding why your illness or injury happened is key to obtaining financial coverage. Whether we bring an insurance claim or lawsuit for you, we will:
- Gather evidence that helps explain your injury or illness
- Determine who or what caused your ailment
- Speak with medical professionals about your injury or illness
- Document your damages through photographs, medical records, and other available methods
Having evidence and documentation available is essential to your case for compensation.
Completing the Administrative Aspects of Your Case
Lawsuits and insurance claims can require significant administrative work. We can handle all of this work for you, including but not limited to:
- Drafting your lawsuit or insurance claim
- Filing your claim or lawsuit with the appropriate authorities
- Completing communications related to your case
- Working with experts to support your case
- Obtaining witness accounts
- Responding to inquiries by insurance companies, attorneys, and other parties involved in your case
These tasks are critical to completing your case. They can be time-consuming and require attention to detail. Saying the wrong thing to an insurance company, failing to file necessary documents, or making other errors could undermine your case.
We have the resources and experience to handle all of these duties.
Negotiating for Fair Compensation
We can identify and assign a value to your losses. We can then negotiate to secure compensation for those losses. We will argue for the awards you may deserve whether the responsible party is an insurance company or the defendant in a lawsuit.
Call the Attorneys at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
We may be able to recover compensation for you or your loved one. We know how hard dockside employees work, and we will be there for you in your time of need. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for your free consultation.
Call or text (337) 777-7777 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form