A semi-truck is a sort of truck and trailer in which half is supported by the wheels of the trailer, and half by the wheels on the truck tractor. Also referred to as a semi-trailer, these trucks can carry a large amount of freight and are very dangerous when they are involved in a collision with one or more vehicles.
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a collision involving a semi-truck, you could be entitled to compensation for your losses. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation from a knowledgeable Lafayette semi truck lawyer.
Semi Trucks Can Have a Devastating Effect
The U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration outlines the guidelines for semi-truck weight limits on the Interstate Highway System and details how the maximum vehicle weight for freight trucks is 80,000 pounds. For comparison’s sake, the average passenger car weight in 2003 was about 4,000 pounds, according to The New York Times.
The massive difference between the size and weight of large freight trucks such as semi-trucks and much smaller, lighter passenger vehicles presents a number of dangers. Semi-trucks present a great risk to Louisiana’s roads for several reasons, including:
- The fact that freight truck drivers often travel long distances spanning many hours, and may be more susceptible to the dangers of drowsy driving, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- The sheer weight and mass of semi-trucks, which can weigh tens of thousands of pounds, make them more difficult to stop, per Newton’s three laws of motion
- These large trucks can be more difficult to maneuver at high speeds, especially on winding roads with poor visibility
- The weight of semi-trucks allows them to inflict much more damage on vehicles that they collide with than a smaller, lighter vehicle could
These risk factors mean that drivers of semi-trucks have to be hyper-cautious to ensure that they do not put other motorists and passengers at risk of injury and death. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. According to a report from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, 87% of crashes involving large trucks were due to driver error or inattentiveness.
For a free legal consultation with a semi truck lawyer serving Lafayette, call (337) 777-7777
Semi-Truck Drivers Are Capable of Negligence, As Are All Drivers
Semi-truck drivers often travel the roads professionally, yet despite their experience, they are susceptible to distraction, carelessness, and negligence, as all drivers are.
Drivers of all kinds fall into the trap of distracted driving, including semi-truck drivers. Some of the common forms of distracted driving that may qualify as negligence include:
- Engaging in any phone-related activity, such as posting on social media or taking eyes off the road to view a navigation app, while driving
- Making a phone call or texting while driving
- Fiddling with the car’s entertainment system while driving
- Averting attention from the road to deal with freight-related communications or activities
- Averting attention from the road to tend to children, pets, or other occupants in a vehicle
- Taking eyes off of the road to engage with other motorists
It is the responsibility of drivers to refrain from succumbing to distracted driving practices, and if they fail to do this, they could be on the hook for any injuries, damage, or death resulting from an accident.
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a collision involving a semi-truck or other large truck, call a Lafayette semi-truck lawyer to begin your case. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.
Lafayette Semi Truck Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
A Lawyer Can Help You Obtain Justice
If you are recovering from an accident-induced injury or lost a loved one due to an accident, allow a lawyer to handle your pursuit of compensation.
Some responsibilities that a lawyer can handle include:
- Ensuring that your case starts straightaway by filing the necessary paperwork with the courts
- Collecting evidence of the circumstances that led to the accident or the accident itself such as video, photographs, eyewitness accounts, and police reports
- Consulting your doctor to obtain documentation of your injuries
- Fulfilling all of the legal responsibilities necessary in your case from start to finish, from initial meeting to the completion of a judgement or settlement
- Protecting your rights throughout the legal process
- Keeping you updated at all stages of your case
- Represent you in court, if necessary
Your lawyer will also set out to prove that the defendant in your case acted negligently in causing or contributing to the accident, and therefore is responsible for compensating you.
Most personal injury and wrongful death claims are governed by a statute of limitations, a time period in which you must bring forth legal action. In Louisiana, the statute of limitations for both wrongful death and personal injury claims stemming from a car accident is generally one year from the date of the accident under Art. 3492 of the Louisiana Civil Code.
There are exceptions to these statutes, so call a lawyer regardless of the time that has passed since you or your loved one’s accident, but do not wait.
Possible Compensation in a Semi-Truck Accident Claim
When a semi-truck is involved in an accident, more than one party may owe you compensation, such as the driver or trucking company. Your Lafayette semi truck lawyer will help you decide which defendant(s) to name within your claim for compensation.
Know that each claim is unique, and damages vary accordingly. With this said, compensation could cover:
- Medical costs related to injuries sustained in the accident
- Lost wages or diminished earning capacity resulting from your injuries and the time it takes to recover from them
- Pain and suffering
Damages for a wrongful death claim may cover:
- The loss of financial protection for you and your family that results from your loved one’s death
- The loss of spousal companionship
- The loss of guidance for children of the deceased
- Funeral costs
We may be able to pursue other forms of compensation, including punitive damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Our Team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
You have been through enough hardship if you or a loved one was in an accident involving a semi-truck—allow a lawyer to take on the legal burden of pursuing compensation off of your shoulders. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.