Driving a vehicle always incurs a fair amount of risk. If an accident occurs, insurance is an essential aspect of ensuring that your life is not catastrophically affected. Most Americans have automobile insurance of some kind, but unfortunately, many do not. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), nearly 13% of motorists did not have insurance as of 2019.
If you or a loved one were involved in an accident in which the other motorist did not have insurance, you may be in need of an experienced accident attorney. A Lafayette uninsured/underinsured motorist lawyer may be able to help you with the process of filing a claim and effectively seeking civil damages.
How a Lafayette Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Lawyer Can Help You Build a Strong Claim
Someone injured in an uninsured motorist accident has a limited time to file a personal injury claim. Under Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §3492, plaintiffs in Louisiana have only one year to file a personal injury claim. As such, it is usually essential that anyone wishing to file a personal injury claim does so as soon as possible to ensure that this prescriptive period does not expire.
We will ensure we file your case on time. We can also help you by handling the following for you:
- Investigating your case
- Trying to find other at-fault parties
- Determining your avenues for compensation
- Negotiating with your insurance company
- Negotiating with the at-fault party
- Taking your case to trial
Parties We Can Hold Accountable for Your Accident
We could potentially seek compensation from the following parties:
- The uninsured driver: The odds are that if the other driver does not have the funds to pay for insurance, they probably will not have the means to pay for your damages. However, we can still attempt to file a lawsuit against them if we deem it appropriate.
- Your insurance company: Although Louisiana does not require drivers to carry uninsured motorist coverage, you might still have this coverage on your policy. If so, our team can seek compensation from your insurance company.
- A third party: We could hold a third party accountable for the accident if they contributed. For example, if a traffic light was down, causing the uninsured motorist to hit you, we can seek compensation from the agency responsible for the light.
Compensation You Could Be Entitled to After an Accident with an Uninsured Motorist in Lafayette
A Lafayette lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you seek compensation after an accident with an uninsured motorist. Some of the awards you may be entitled to include compensation for:
- Medical devices
- In-home care
- Car repair costs
- Car replacement costs
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If your loved one passed away in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver, we can help you seek compensation for their final medical bills, pain and suffering before death, and funeral and burial expenses.
How State Law Addresses Uninsured/Underinsured Drivers
Louisiana Revised Statutes (RS) §22:1295 requires that motorists maintain a certain level of insurance coverage. It could be potentially catastrophic for a civil plaintiff if the defendant responsible for their wreck either has no insurance or is underinsured. Plaintiffs may be required to make underinsured or uninsured drivers pay out of pocket for all damages that are not covered by any insurance they may have, which in practice means they may be unable to recover appropriately for all their damages.
Navigating a damages suit involving an uninsured or underinsured party can be very complex. An experienced lawyer in Lafayette could help determine what grounds may exist to file a claim and guide someone through the process of filing one.
Call the Attorneys at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today for a Free Consultation
You do not need to face the consequences of an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist alone. A Lafayette uninsured/underinsured motorist lawyer is available to help you. Call today to set up a consultation at (337) 777-7777.