When people get on the road drowsy, they’re breaking their duty of care to other drivers. Drowsy driving accidents can be just as bad or worse than drunk driving accidents in certain situations. Reach out to a Lafayette car accident attorney to discuss your situation.
If a driver chooses to remain behind the wheel even though they are too tired to operate a vehicle safely and cause a crash, they can be held accountable for the damages and injuries they caused. A Lafayette personal injury attorney from Laborde Earles can help if a drowsy driver hits you.
What to Do After a Drowsy Driving Accident
If you were involved in a drowsy driving accident, you should take steps to secure your physical well-being before doing anything else. Once you are safe, do the following:
- If you are not seriously injured and it is safe, tend to others involved in the crash
- Do not move anyone who cannot move
- Be aware of other vehicles on the road
- Call 911
- Do not leave the accident scene until medical and law enforcement personnel have arrived
- Do not give statements or sign anything until you have contacted a lawyer
- Gather evidence from the scene, such as witness statements, pictures, or videos of skid marks and vehicle damage
- Take notes of anything you remember about the accident or how it was caused
To help you build a case, we will gather additional data and proof about your accident in addition to the above, including:
- Event data recorder (EDR) data to prove that the other driver did not brake
- Timestamps on text messages, social media posts, phone calls, or online purchases prove extensive activity by the driver before getting behind the wheel
- School or work attendance records
- Evidence of the driver’s intentions to help prove that you’re eligible for punitive damages
- Prescription details for medications that may cause drowsiness
- Documentation of whether the other driver consumed alcohol
Once we have all of the above, a drowsy driving accident lawyer in Lafayette, LA, will quantify your damages, including lost income, vehicle damage, and bodily injury damages. Then we can put together a compensation claim against the at-fault driver responsible for causing your accident. We have the experience and knowledge needed to complete these formalities on your behalf to the letter of the law.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
What Damages Can You Recover After a Drowsy Driving Accident?
You may be entitled to damages depending on your accident’s causes and severity. Damages could be either economic damages or non-economic damages, such as:
- Medical expenses
- Lost earnings
- Future care costs
- Surgery and therapy costs
- Property damage
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages if the driver intentionally injured you
- Property and vehicle damage
- Pain and suffering
- Damages for scars or disabilities
- Wrongful death if the accident resulted in the death of a loved one
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
How Our Attorneys Negotiate With the Insurance Company After a Drowsy Driving Crash
If a drowsy driver has hit you in Lafayette Parish, you may wonder how to negotiate with the insurance company to get adequate compensation for your losses. A skilled and experienced Lafayette drowsy driving accident lawyer can assist you in negotiating, ensuring you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
Here are some of the ways a Lafayette drowsy driving accident lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company after a drowsy driver hits you:
- Investigate the accident: A lawyer will thoroughly investigate the collision to determine the cause and who was at fault. They will collect evidence to build a strong case against the driver.
- Document losses: A drowsy driving accident lawyer in Lafayette, LA, will document your losses. They will also consider any long-term consequences of the accident, such as ongoing medical treatment or the need for future surgeries.
- Communicate with the insurance company: A lawyer will communicate with the insurance company on your behalf. They will negotiate with the insurance adjuster to reach a fair settlement that adequately compensates you for your losses.
Negotiating with an insurance company after a drowsy driving accident can be complex and challenging. A drowsy driving accident attorney in Lafayette, LA, can help you through the legal process, ensuring you receive maximum compensation for your injuries and losses. They will work tirelessly to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
Why Drowsy Driving Still Happens Despite the Risks
We know that driving while drowsy or fatigued is dangerous and can lead to serious crashes, but why do so many people get behind the wheel while tired? There are many possible answers to this, including:
- Many people do not realize they are tired
- Many jobs, such as delivery services and medical services, push their workers to perform long hours with little rest
- Some drivers may not realize that the medications they are taking can cause drowsiness
- Poor planning can lead to situations in which someone is forced to drive while tired
- Drunk drivers overestimate their skills after drinking alcohol
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
The Dangers of Drowsy Driving
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were about 684 fatal crashes in the United States involving drowsy driving in 2021. Here are a few common trends in drowsy driving crashes:
- Sleepiness and fatigue can cause accidents at any time, whether during the day or at night, but the three factors below are commonly seen in drowsy driving accidents.
- They tend to occur between midnight and 6 a.m. or late afternoon. These are the times of the day when dips occur in our natural internal clocks, the circadian rhythm that regulates sleep.
- They usually involve just the driver with no passengers and can be identified by a vehicle running off the road at considerable speed with no indications of braking. This usually indicates that the driver did not catch themselves going off-road.
- They usually occur on rural roads and highways. Poor lighting and long, uneventful stretches of road may contribute to sleepiness while driving on such roads.
Contact Us After a Drowsy Driver Hits You in Lafayette
If a drowsy driver hits you and you suffer injuries, our team is ready to help. Laborde Earles helps accident victims understand the law, protect their rights, and ensure they seek the maximum damages they may be entitled to according to the laws pertaining to their case.
Call now or contact us online for a free case consultation and learn more about how a drowsy driving accident attorney in Lafayette, LA, can help you. Our team is ready to hold the negligent parties accountable for their actions.