Finding a personal injury lawyer in Lafayette that you trust is very important. When contacting a personal injury lawyer and meeting with one, there is certain advice he or she will probably give you. Here is the most common advice given from lawyers to clients at initial meetings.
- Go see a doctor if you haven’t yet. This is especially important if you are experiencing any pain or having physical issues.
- Speak to your doctor about the possibility of not going to work for a temporary period. This is usually only suggested if your job is causing you pain, discomfort, or other problems. If the doctor tells you that the decision of whether to work is up to your discretion, you should choose not to if you are experiencing pain or significant discomfort.
- Obtain photographs of the automobiles involved in an accident and the location of the injuries if the case is for premises liability. You should also try to get photographs of the item that was the cause of your injury if it is a product liability case.
- If there is damage to your automobile, have it appraised soon after the photos were taken.
- Find and submit any contact information of any possible witnesses to your lawyer.
- Do not go into detail about the case with anyone or give a statement to the insurance company.
- If an insurance company contacts you, get the name and contact number of the adjuster. Tell the adjuster that you plan to speak to a lawyer and that the lawyer will contact him or her.
- Documents such as medical bills, instructions from the doctor, medications, and accident reports should all be kept carefully, and should be given to your lawyer.
- If you can, acquire a copy of the police report and give it to your lawyer.
- Make sure you keep all future appointments with the lawyer unless you absolutely have no choice but to postpone it.
It can be difficult to know exactly what to do after an accident, which is why a Lafayette personal injury attorney can help.