If you got injured on the job or developed a work-related illness, a Slidell workers’ compensation lawyer could advocate for the benefits you deserve. If you were wrongfully denied workers’ compensation coverage, our team can file your claim, refute allegations of fault, and champion your rights.
We can also explore whether you can pursue damages through a third-party claim or lawsuit. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is here to listen to your story now.
Most Employees Have Workers’ Compensation Coverage in Louisiana
The Louisiana Department of Insurance says that if you work in Louisiana, your employer likely has workers’ compensation coverage. This provides benefits if you get sick or injured on the job. There are, of course, limitations and exclusions. Also, the rules are strict and unforgiving. A simple mistake could make you ineligible for benefits.
The Louisiana workers’ compensation program provides a safety net for employees who have accidents or develop occupational diseases because of their work. On the flipside, the program shields your boss from personal injury lawsuits. To an extent, the workers’ compensation program is a no-fault benefits plan, in that your employer does not have to be negligent or admit fault for you to receive benefits.
For a free legal consultation with a workers' compensation lawyer serving Slidell, call (337) 777-7777
What Situations does Workers’ Compensation in Slidell Cover?
Workers’ compensation generally covers these situations:
- You suffer an injury at work. For instance, if you work in construction, and you fall off a ladder, you can seek benefits for your medical bills and a portion of your lost wages.
- You contracted a job-related illness. Some workforces have hazards on the microscopic level. Suppose you worked in construction, and you had to remove ceilings riddled with asbestos. Afterward, you developed cancer because of the exposure. In that instance, you could seek workers’ compensation coverage while you receive treatment.
- You suffered a stress injury. Some jobs require you to perform the same tasks over and over. Over time, this could result in a stress injury, causing pain and limiting your movement. Workers’ compensation offers benefits for those injuries.
Slidell Workers' Compensation Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Situations That Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Does Not Cover
The Louisiana workers’ compensation program does not cover every possible event that could happen from the moment you leave your home to the minute your shift ends. Here are a few examples of things the program usually does not cover:
- Accidents that happen during a person’s commute to or from work
- Incidents that happen during a person’s lunch break, particularly if they leave the workplace during that time
- Injuries that occur when a worker is not acting within the scope of their employment
- Intentional injuries an employee inflicts on himself or others
- The aggressor involved in a physical altercation that was not provoked
- An injury that happens while an employee is intoxicated
Sometimes, circumstances will allow for accidents in these situations to have coverage under the law. If you have any doubts about coverage in your job-related injury or illness claim, consider connecting with our workers’ compensation lawyer serving Slidell.
Types of Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Our state’s workers’ compensation program offers a variety of possible benefits, according to the Louisiana Workforce Commission of the Department of Labor. Here is a brief summary of the kinds of benefits for which an injured worker might be eligible:
- Medical expenses. This includes the costs necessary to treat your injury or illness. Generally, you must seek medical care within the insurance provider’s approved network.
- Temporary Total Disability (TTD). This benefit sends weekly or monthly indemnity payments (in other words, cash benefits) to replace part of a worker’s usual earnings when they cannot work. You must be unable to work for more than seven calendar days before becoming eligible for TTD benefits.
- Permanent Total Disability (PTD). If your injury permanently affects your working ability, you can seek disability payments.
- Supplemental Earnings Benefits (SEB). If you have ongoing impairment from your work-related accident or illness, you might not be able to make as much money as you did before. In this situation, you could receive cash benefits that can replace some of the difference in your earnings. You must have a reduction of at least 10 percent of your previous wages.
- Vocational rehabilitation. In situations involving ongoing functional limitations after completing medical treatment for a covered illness or injury, the worker might not be able to perform their previous job. Workers’ compensation might provide vocational rehabilitation so that the employee could go into a different line of work.
- Catastrophic injuries. A worker who suffers a catastrophic injury as defined by the Louisiana workers’ compensation program could receive a one-time payment of $50,000.
- Death benefits. If an employee dies within two years of the final medical treatment for a work-related illness or injury, the program could pay up to $8,500 for burial and other costs.
A Slidell workers’ compensation lawyer can answer your questions about these benefits.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Our Clients Share Their Satisfaction with Our Team on Google Reviews
Before making an important decision about hiring a professional, whether you need a doctor, a lawyer, or a plumber, it can help to find out what their clients think about the work they did for them.
Here are some of our many five-star testimonials:
- “Laborde Earles went above and beyond my expectations. Great experience overall, they understand their clients and my needs were put first. I can’t say enough about them, especially Kim Fontenot, she went the extra mile and was so reliable. She was very caring when assisting me. I would highly recommend this firm.” Brenda L.
- “I cannot recommend this law firm enough! They are highly efficient, professional, knowledgeable and most importantly, personable. The staff does their best to make every client feel welcome and cared for while working with them. My experience with them was wonderful, and I will be referring any friends in need to them in the future.” Auzita S.
These are but a few of our glowing testimonials. Come find out why our clients are so happy with us.
Begin Your Free Case Review Now
You can contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation about your Slidell workers’ compensation claim. We can assess your situation, identify your damages, and advocate for what you need.