Were you or someone you love injured in an accident involving an Uber, Lyft, or taxicab in Meaux? If so, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to help you receive financial compensation from the responsible party in an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
You may be able to request compensation for damages if you were injured as:
- A passenger in a ridesharing vehicle
- A driver or passenger in another involved car
- A pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcyclist involved in the accident
A Meaux rideshare accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to help you prove the cause of the accident, determine where to assign financial liability, and evaluate the potential monetary award you may be entitled to. Recoverable damages may include your costs of medical treatment, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
How Is a Rideshare Accident Different from a Regular Car Accident?
Rideshare accidents are more complicated than other car accidents for several reasons. Since most rideshare drivers are not employees, but independent contractors for the company they work for, it can be difficult to determine liability. Rideshare drivers carry a personal insurance policy, as well as the policy the rideshare service provides.
If an accident occurs, the rideshare company may dispute its liability, depending on the circumstances. Uber and Lyft drivers do not need a special license and usually drive passengers in personal vehicles. If the ridesharing app is not turned on, Uber and Lyft do not accept any liability. In this case, the driver’s personal policy should apply.
If the driver is logged on and waiting for a ride request, carrying a passenger, or on their way to pick one up, the ridesharing companies have insurance policies in place to cover accidents in these circumstances. However, the amount of coverage varies depending on the specific circumstances.
For a free legal consultation with a ridesharing accident lawyer serving Meaux, call (337) 777-7777
All Rideshare Operators Must Carry Insurance
Rideshare providers have been helping people get from their pick-up point to their destination point for years. Although rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft are much more recent additions to the transportation scene than taxicabs, these transportation companies have become trusted parts of urban and rural life.
If you were injured in a rideshare or taxicab accident in Meaux, one of the first steps in your case may be identifying the liable party and what insurance policy may cover your injuries.
Uber and Lyft Insurance Coverage
- $50,000 in bodily injury per person
- $100,000 in bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 in property damage per accident
The catch is that this coverage may only go into effect if the ridesharing driver’s personal car insurance policy does not cover the accident. This can put accident victims in the middle of a disagreement between the responsible party’s insurers.
If the Uber or Lyft driver is headed to pick up a passenger or has a passenger in their vehicle, the ridesharing company’s insurance protects the vehicle with up to $1,000,000 in third-party liability coverage.
Taxicab Insurance Coverage
Like all vehicles legally registered in the state of Louisiana, each taxicab must have insurance coverage. The Louisiana Public Service Commission (LPSC) reports that taxicab operators in Louisiana must maintain a minimum of:
- $25,000 in bodily injury for any one person in one accident
- $50,000 in bodily injury for multiple people in one accident
- $5,000 in property damage per accident
If you or someone you love was injured in a ridesharing accident, a Meaux ridesharing accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you navigate the compensation claims process. We can help you assign financial liability to the right party and file your claim with the correct insurance provider.
Meaux Ridesharing Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Recoverable Economic and Non-Economic Damages
After Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers has helped identify the liable party in your case, we can help you determine the monetary value of your damages. Your lawyer can calculate economic and non-economic damages to determine their value. Economic damages refer to the compensation for objective monetary losses, while non-economic damages are subjective.
Economic damages that you may be able to recover include:
- Medical bills: All medical bills stemming from the accident can be included, such as an ambulance ride, emergency room care, physical therapy, follow-up appointments, medications, medical equipment, etc. Future medical bills can also be included—your lawyer can help you estimate this amount.
- Lost income: If you have been out of work for any time while recovering from the accident, you can include lost wages in your claim. If the injuries you sustained in the accident prevent you from going back to work in the same capacity or at all, you can seek the projected amount of future wages you lost.
- Auto repair: If your vehicle was damaged during the accident, you can seek the funds to repair or replace your vehicle.
Non-economic damages that you may be able to recover could include:
- Pain and suffering: This includes lasting effects after a rideshare accident. Any ongoing physical or mental pain from the injuries you sustained can be included.
- Emotional distress: Conditions such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder are included in damages you can seek compensation for.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you assign a value to these portions of your compensation claim as well.
There may be an alternate group of damages available to you in a wrongful death lawsuit if a loved one was fatally injured in the rideshare accident. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers also handles wrongful death lawsuits.
Louisiana’s Filing Deadline for Personal Injury Lawsuits
According to Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §3492, you generally have just one year to file your personal injury lawsuit in Louisiana. If you do not file your lawsuit within the deadline for your case, your lawsuit could be dismissed, and you may be unable to recover compensation.
A year can pass by quickly while you are dealing with your recovery. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can defend your right to sue when we represent you. The sooner you call us, the sooner we can get started on your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Are the Benefits of Working with a Meaux Rideshare Accident Lawyer?
It’s easy to assume insurance will cover damages after a rideshare accident. If you are seriously injured and cannot return to work, it may be difficult to recoup the wages you lost without a lawyer. Rideshare accident cases can look different than typical car accident claims.
Finding a lawyer who is experienced with these types of cases is helpful when seeking damages after an accident. Our lawyers can assist you in the following ways:
- Assess your case to see if you are eligible for legal compensation.
- Represent you in court to help you obtain damages.
- Make sure you are fairly compensated for any expenses you incurred from the accident.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Is Experienced with Rideshare Accident Cases
You may benefit from our help because:
- We offer free consultations to review your case and answer any questions you have.
- We have someone available to discuss your case at any time.
- We will read and review the crash report to determine if the at-fault driver was being negligent.
- We will file your lawsuit quickly to avoid missing the deadline.
- We will negotiate for a favorable settlement. If we cannot settle, we will represent you in court.
- Our attorneys have experience with rideshare accident cases and will work tirelessly to fight for the compensation you deserve.
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, you are in good hands. See what our past clients had to say to learn more about how we can assist you.
Let Us Help with Your Rideshare Accident Claim
A Meaux ridesharing accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can manage all of the legal work and deadlines in your case while you focus on recovering from your injuries. We can also communicate with the insurance companies and other parties on your behalf.
If the responsible party’s insurance company is unwilling to offer you a fair settlement, we can take your case to trial. Our firm is willing to take on any party that may be liable for your damages, whether they are a driver, a local taxicab company, or a major ridesharing corporation.
For a free consultation on your case with a member of our team, contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers by calling (337) 777-7777 or filling out a contact form. We can represent you on a contingency-fee-basis, which means we do not charge you attorney fees unless and until you win your case and recover compensation via a settlement offer or court award.