In 2018 alone, nearly 5,000 people died as a result of a motor vehicle accident involving a large truck, which is an increase from the prior year, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). Nearly three-quarters of the people who tragically lost their lives were the occupants of other vehicles involved in the crash. The NHTSA study also showed that truck drivers involved in fatal car accidents had a higher chance of having already been involved in a car accident than other motorists.
If you were hurt in a delivery truck accident or lost a loved one in this type of crash, you may be entitled to compensation. If you have been wondering how to evaluate your rights or calculate your damages, Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to help. Learn how our Metairie delivery truck accident lawyer can help you build your case in a free, confidential, and no-obligation consultation. To get started, call our office now: (337) 777-7777.
A Delivery Truck Accident Can Lead to Devastating Injuries
Delivery trucks come in a range of sizes, but they are often large and extremely heavy. If they are loaded down with cargo, they can weigh several tons. Because of this, the injuries that result from a crash with a delivery truck can be devastating. Here are some common examples:
- Broken or fractured bones
- Spinal injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Severe cuts and bruising
- Disfiguring scars
There may be other injuries that you experienced as a result of the delivery truck crash. It is important to see a medical professional as soon as possible after the accident to start making a record of your injuries and receive prompt treatment. The sooner you have a good understanding of your injuries, the sooner you will be able to calculate the damages that you are entitled to receive from the people responsible for the crash.
For a free legal consultation with a delivery truck accident lawyer serving Metairie, call 337-221-9907
Common Causes of Delivery Truck Crashes
In many situations, an accident happens so quickly that the victim is not exactly sure what caused it. Your lawyer can investigate your crash and put the pieces together to figure out the exact sequence of events that led to the crash. This process often starts with exploring some of the common reasons that a delivery truck accident happens, such as:
- A lack of vehicle maintenance and repairs
- Inexperienced or improperly trained drivers
- Speeding and cutting corners to keep up with a demanding delivery schedule
- Driver fatigue
- Driving while impaired
- Failing to use proper signals when pulling over or stopping at a delivery location
- Failing to keep a lookout for nearby motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians
It is the responsibility of the injury victim to prove how the accident happened and that the other party is to blame. Providing this evidence may seem incredibly daunting, especially if the accident happened quickly or your injuries compromised your memory. A Metairie delivery truck accident lawyer at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can walk you through the process step by step. If you are ready to take action and pursue the compensation you deserve, call now at (337) 777-7777.
Metairie Delivery Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 337-221-9907
Hold Someone Responsible for Your Injuries and Damages
If you pursue compensation from someone after a motor vehicle accident, there are four key elements that you will need to prove before you are awarded any recovery.
- Duty: the first step is to show that the people who caused the accident owed you a duty to act with reasonable care and skill.
- Breach: the second step is to show that those people failed to act according to that duty.
- Causation: the third step is to show that their breach was the direct and foreseeable cause of your injuries.
- Damages: the fourth step is to provide documentation supporting the amount of compensation you are asking for in the lawsuit, like medical bills and lost wages.
It can be difficult to figure out who you should hold responsible for your delivery truck accident. In many accidents like this, you will have a claim against the driver of the delivery truck as well as the company that employs the driver or is responsible for maintaining the delivery truck. If you tragically lost a loved one as the result of the accident, you can bring a wrongful death claim to recover compensation for the expenses you have incurred as well as the pain and suffering you are experiencing due to the loss, according to Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §2315.2.
The best way to make sure that you are holding every possible party responsible is through a thorough investigation of your case. Your lawyer will see to this along with other important aspects of the claim like:
- Contacting and meeting with eyewitnesses
- Filing important documents with the court
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Keeping a record of your injuries and damages
- Responding to requests for information from the other side
- Making sure that the other parties play by the rules
- Retaining expert witnesses who can testify on your behalf
- Negotiating a settlement
- Preparing for trial
- Keeping you informed
Call for a Free Consultation Today
At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we are available to answer your questions and to help you understand this complex process.
Having a Metairie delivery truck accident lawyer by your side can take some of the guesswork and frustration out of getting the compensation you are entitled to receive. It can also allow you to focus on healing and putting your life back together after a devastating and painful accident.
Call us at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation. Do not wait, as time may be running out for your ability to pursue compensation.