If your close relative died in a crash that was someone else’s fault, you can talk to a Carencro fatal car accident lawyer about whether you are eligible for compensation for your losses. Louisiana allows certain surviving relatives to pursue money damages from the at-fault party.
The Benefits of Working With a Fatal Car Accident Lawyer in Carencro, LA
You might not know what to expect when you hire a lawyer to handle your wrongful death case. That is understandable, since most people have never experienced one of these claims before.
Here are some of the services our fatal Carencro fatal car accident lawyers can provide for you:
- We’ll take the burden of dealing with the defendant and insurance company off your shoulders. You should not have to handle claims adjusters and investigators while you grieve the loss of your loved one. After you hire an attorney, the insurance company and defendant will not be allowed to contact you directly. They will have to go through us rather than bother you.
- You will likely have many questions throughout the case. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us when you have something on your mind about your claim. We are always happy to listen to you and answer your questions.
- You will not have to worry about what is happening on your wrongful death claim because we keep you informed of developments in your case. The last thing you need is to have the stress of wondering about your case’s status. We are proactive about communicating with our clients.
- We’ll treat you with respect and dignity, being mindful of the fact that you are going through the grieving process. You can expect compassion and patience from us.
- We’ll gather the evidence we need to build your case. This happens during the investigation process and pre-trial discovery phase.
- We will try to settle your wrongful death claim by negotiating with the insurance company.
- We can continue negotiating after filing a lawsuit for you. Most cases settle out of court.
- If necessary, we can prepare your case for court and handle the trial.
When you become our client, our Carencro fatal car accident attorneys will take care of all these tasks for you. If you try to handle your wrongful death claim without an attorney, you will have to do these and countless other tasks on your own.
For a free legal consultation with a fatal car accident lawyer serving Carencro, call (337) 777-7777
Advice That May Benefit Your Fatal Car Accident Case
Every wrongful death case is different, so what you must do to get the best possible result in your claim will depend on the facts of your situation. However, here is some general advice that could prove helpful to you:
- The claims adjuster is not your friend. It is common for claims adjusters to be friendly and cordial, but they still have a job to do. They need to try to settle your claim for the least amount of money possible. That reality does not make them bad people. You just need to understand that they do not work for you.
- The insurance company has access to a database of jury verdicts it can use to determine the likely outcome if your case went to trial. Luckily for you, you can get similar information if you work with a fatal car accident attorney in Carencro, LA.
- We recommend that our clients stay off of social media entirely until their cases get resolved. Even an innocent photograph of you having fun with your family could get twisted by the insurance company into an argument that you are not currently enduring grief and financial hardship.
Our Carencro fatal car accident attorneys are happy to provide additional guidance tailored to your individual circumstances.
Carencro Fatal Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
How Much Is Your Fatal Car Accident Claim Worth?
We understand it is impossible to put a monetary value on your loved one’s life. Still, holding the at-fault party accountable for ending your relative’s life prematurely has value. Also, when you collect monetary damages for your claim, that compensation can help you get through the financial hardship that many people experience with the unexpected death of a loved one.
Here are some of the common types of compensation people seek in wrongful death claims in Louisiana:
- The out-of-pocket costs of the decedent’s final medical bills, funeral, cremation, and burial
- Loss of the services the deceased person provided for the benefit of the family, like cooking meals and raising children
- Loss of income the decedent provided for the support of the family
- Loss of the guidance, instruction, and companionship of the deceased relative
- Loss of additional benefits the family enjoyed because of the decedent, like health insurance through the deceased relative’s job
You might be able to pursue additional types of monetary damages in your circumstances.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Louisiana?
In Louisiana, only people related by blood or marriage can take legal action to seek money damages in a wrongful death claim. Under CC Art. 2315.2, only these people are eligible to pursue compensation for a wrongful death:
- The surviving spouse and children of the decedent.
- The surviving parents of the deceased person if the decedent had no surviving spouse or child.
- If no spouse, child, or parent survived the deceased person, surviving siblings of the decedent can bring a wrongful death action.
- If no one in the first three categories survives the deceased person, surviving grandparents can file a wrongful death lawsuit.
This list is a quick overview of who could be eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Louisiana. Your lawyer can explain the additional details that could be relevant to your situation.
Louisiana’s Filing Deadlines
Our state has extremely short statutes of limitations for civil lawsuits. Under CC Art. 2315.2, you must file a lawsuit seeking compensation for the wrongful death of your close relative within one year. CC Art. 3492 gives you only one year to file a personal injury suit if you were also wounded in the collision but survived your injuries.
Missing the filing deadline can disqualify you from holding the at-fault party accountable for your losses. To avoid that harsh outcome, you may want to talk to a Carencro fatal car accident attorney as soon as possible.
Contingency Fees and Carencro, LA, Wrongful Death Claims
We handle wrongful death claims arising from automobile collisions in Carencro, Louisiana, on a contingency fee basis. With this fee arrangement, you do not have to pay us any legal fees upfront to get our help on your case. Our Carencro fatal car accident lawyers will work on your claim without getting paid until the end of the matter.
We receive a percentage of the settlement proceeds or jury award at the conclusion of your case as payment for our work. If you do not win your case, you do not owe us any money for legal fees.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let Us Start Working On Your Fatal Car Accident Case Today
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is happy to offer a free initial consultation with no obligation. Contact us today to get started.