According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), pharmaceutical company Allergan’s BIOCELL® textured breast implants and tissue expanders have been linked to breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL). Because of these findings, the FDA has requested that Allergan remove the products from the marketplace.
If you or a loved one developed BIA-ALCL after receiving breast augmentation using Allergan implants, then you may have grounds to join a class action lawsuit or bring an individual lawsuit. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777 to speak with a member of our team about how an Allergan breast implant lawsuit lawyer may assist you with your case.
The Link Between Allergan Breast Implants and Cancer
The FDA reports having received 573 reports of breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) associated with various devices. Of those reports, 84 percent are against Allergan or companies owned by Allergan, such as Inamed and McGhan.
Based on the actions of Allergan, there may be credibility in links between certain Allergan implants and BIA-ALCL. According to The New York Times, Allergan textured breast implants:
- Were banned in Europe in late 2018 because of apparent links between the implants and a rare form of cancer
- Were recalled in the United States at the FDA’s behest in July 2019
- May be the cause of at least 12 BIA-ALCL deaths
- May result from implants used to enhance the size of breasts as well as those implanted after a mastectomy
According to The New York Times, BIA-ALCL came to light as the specific form of cancer linked to Allergan BIOCELL® textured implants in 2011. BIA-ALCL may:
- May arise anywhere from 6 months to 26 years after you have received Allergan textured breast implants or tissue expanders, according to current data published by Allergan
- Become fatal if you do not catch it in the early stages
- Recede after you remove the breast implant or tissue expander and undergo cancer treatments
Because the FDA recognized BIA-ALCL in 2011, the links between breast implants and the relatively rare form of cancer may require further study. As of now, there is a link between BIA-ALCL and Allergan’s BIOCELL® implants and tissue expanders. An Allergan breast implant lawsuit lawyer may be able to assist you if you or a loved one has developed cancer after receiving this specific implant.
Take Precautions if You Suspect Something Is Wrong
If you have not been diagnosed with BIA-ALCL but have received or removed Allergan implants or tissue expanders, you may want to be vigilant to possible symptoms of BIA-ALCL.
The Mayo Clinic advises people to look out for the most common symptom of BIA-ALCL, which is a “formation of a delayed fluid pocket or seroma around the implant,” which can also present itself as an abnormal mass in the breast or a lesion on the skin.
According to the National Cancer Institute, a seroma is a mass or lump. If you notice a lump, then you may want to:
- Seek medical attention
- Voice your concerns about your Allergan breast implant or tissue expander and the development of BIA-ALCL
- Get a second opinion if a medical professional does not provide definitive results to confirm or refute any concerns about cancer that you may have
If you are diagnosed with BIA-ALCL, then it is critical that you receive treatment. If you decide that you want to bring legal action against anybody who put you at risk of developing BIA-ALCL, then you may benefit from speaking with an Allergan breast implant lawsuit lawyer when you feel it is appropriate.
Determining Liability for a BIA-ALCL Diagnosis
If you are diagnosed with BIA-ALCL after receiving an Allergan breast implant or tissue expander, then you may have grounds to bring a lawsuit against multiple defendants. Some possible defendants in your lawsuit may include:
- Allergan, which failed to discover or disclose links between their breast implant or tissue expander and the cancer BIA-ALCL
- The FDA, which failed to discover links between Allergan products and cancer before countless women received the products in their bodies
- Any doctor who failed to protect you from the possible dangers of Allergan implants or tissue expanders
A lawyer may help you determine appropriate defendants to name in your lawsuit, and may also:
- Consult experts on the links between Allergan implants or tissue expanders and BIA-ALCL
- Calculate the compensation that you may be entitled to
- Build a case for compensation
- Negotiate any settlement that could allow you to collect compensation without a trial
- Represent you at trial if no acceptable settlement becomes available
- Defend your rights
A successful lawsuit may entitle you to various forms of compensation, possible including coverage for:
- The cost of removing your implants
- Cancer treatments
- Pain and suffering
- Income you lose because of your cancer
- Any other losses associated with a defective implant or tissue expander
Call Our Team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
A diagnosis of BIA-ALCL can be life-altering. You may be entitled to compensation if an Allergan implant or tissue expander was the possible or likely cause of your disease. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 to learn how an Allergan breast implant lawsuit lawyer may be able to assist you.