Brain injuries are unlike any other type of physical trauma. When a person suffers a traumatic brain injury (TBI), they might never fully recover and could need lifetime care.
If you or someone you love suffered a TBI because of someone else’s actions, you may be able to recover compensation with help from an experienced catastrophic injury attorney. Reach out to a Lake Charles traumatic brain injury lawyer for help today.
Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries occur when a blow to the head impairs brain functions. Not every head injury causes a TBI. Even severe head injuries, like a fractured skull, may not result in a traumatic brain injury.
A TBI can cause a range of conditions with significant consequences. For example, a person with a TBI may suffer from headaches and nausea, mood swings and mental health problems, and loss of mobility. In addition, they could lose the use of their limbs. Severe TBIs may also lead to paralysis or even death.
Unlike other organs and tissues in the body, the brain usually cannot repair itself. While the brain often adapts to damage in a way that allows an injured individual to function, there is no guarantee that a person with a TBI will ever regain their previous abilities or quality of life. Ongoing treatment and care can be expensive, so assistance from a Lake Charles TBI attorney can make a critical difference in a victim’s life.
Laborde Earles injury was great for me they took care of me very fast and professional. If for any reason I need legal help they will be who I use.Client
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries have hundreds of different causes. Any blow to the head may cause a TBI, even if the injury is not otherwise severe. A TBI might also occur if the brain loses oxygen due to drowning, choking, or suffocation.
Some TBIs are accidental and not anyone’s fault. For instance, some of the leading causes of TBIs are accidental falls or collisions with an object. Though an injury may seem accidental, there may still be a legal liability in some cases. One example is when a person falls from a faulty ladder—the ladder’s manufacturer may be to blame. Likewise, if a person trips on a broken step, the property owner may have liability.
Finally, other people can cause TBIs. Motor vehicle accidents, surgical errors, and intentional assaults are some causes of traumatic brain injuries. When someone purposefully or negligently caused the TBI, the injured person could file a personal injury lawsuit with help from a Lake Charles traumatic brain injury attorney.
I thank God for Digger & David. I don’t know what we would have done if it hadn’t have been for them.Rick Smith | Client
Damages After a TBI
Personal injury cases involving TBIs often require extensive medical testimony and experienced legal help. Brain injuries often take days or weeks to manifest, and seemingly minor injuries can cause severe damage.
People who have suffered TBIs due to someone else’s negligence could recover damages for their actual expenses, like their medical bills and lost wages, as well as their physical and emotional suffering. However, calculating damages in a TBI case can be incredibly complicated because many TBI symptoms last for decades and affect an injured person’s ability to support themselves.
For example, people who have suffered TBIs frequently have problems with their memory, thought processes, and mood control. In addition, they may suffer from depression or anxiety, or their personality may change. Working with a TBI lawyer in Calcasieu Parish can help ensure that injured people receive total compensation for all their losses.
The reassurance from Digger and his staff gave me that renewed hope that it’s going to be okay down the road.Client
How We Help Clients with TBIs
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers strives to help TBI clients resolve their cases as quickly as possible. We do everything we can to make the legal process understandable and accessible to everyone:
- Charging no upfront fees: We only send a bill for attorney’s fees if you recover an insurance settlement or jury award. Otherwise, you pay nothing in attorney’s fees.
- Working closely with you: Your attorney will update you whenever something significant happens with your case. We also take the time to respond to your questions and can even come to see you at your home if you do not feel up to visiting our office.
- Dealing with paperwork: Lawsuits can be overly complex and involve many forms, letters, and other documentation. Our team can fill out and submit all required paperwork on your behalf.
- Managing all communications: You will not have to speak with or meet the liable party or their representatives. If they have anything to say to you, we can relay that message and explain what it means to your case.
- Fighting for a fair settlement: Our team can carefully review your situation, determine how much you should request, and negotiate with the liable party’s insurance company for a settlement that covers your current and future needs.
- Advocating for you in court: In the rare cases when we cannot reach a satisfactory settlement agreement, we are never afraid to take our clients’ cases to trial and seek a jury award.
In the past, we have helped brain injury clients recover hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars in compensation. We would be happy to help you calculate an appropriate settlement and fight hard for that amount, no matter how long it takes.
They treated us like no other people would. Whenever we needed something they were there for us. I put my trust in them and I don’t regret it.Client
Preserving Your Rights After a TBI
It is best to start seeking compensation as soon as possible to protect your rights because:
- CC Art. 3492 gives Louisiana citizens just one year from the accident date to take legal action against a negligent party.
- The deadline for wrongful death victims – a claim made on behalf of a loved one who passed away from a TBI – is also one year per CC Art. 2315.2.
- Critical evidence that can prove the negligent party’s liability may become difficult to obtain or less valuable as time goes by.
These deadlines may seem generous, but as you try to cope with a devastating injury or the death of a loved one, you might find it challenging to find the time to juggle a lawsuit as well. Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can assume your entire workload, giving you the time you deserve to rebuild your life after a TBI.
Talk to a Lake Charles Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney Now
After a head injury caused by negligence, you and your family might want to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. Unfortunately, Louisiana only gives injured people one year from the date of their injury to file a lawsuit, and TBIs may take months to become apparent.
Whether your injury was caused by a car crash, motorcycle accident, medical error, or any other incident, our attorneys want to hear the details of your case. Call a Lake Charles traumatic brain injury lawyer today to learn more about your legal options. Our number is (337) 777-7777, and we can take your call 24 hours a day. The initial consultation is free and places you under no obligation.