You should hire a lawyer for a workers’ compensation claim if the process becomes complicated or if your initial claim is not approved for any reason. There may be material disputes about the facts of your accident, the wages you should receive, and other important matters that a lawyer may counsel you on.
If your initial workers’ compensation claim gets approved without issue, you may be able to complete the claims process without the help of a lawyer.
A Lawyer Can Help You Prepare Your Case and Support Your Claim
Hiring a lawyer to help with your workers’ compensation claim may cost nothing out of your own pocket. According to the Louisiana Revised Statutes (RS) §23:1141, a lawyer’s help with issues related to workers’ compensation may cost you no more than 20 percent of any winnings you collect.
In a contingency fee pay structure, a lawyer does not charge you any attorney’s fees for their service unless they win your case. As explained by the American Bar Association (ABA), a lawyer who works on a contingency fee basis only receives payment for their services if the result of your case is successful. In your case, this may mean securing workers’ compensation benefits.
In exchange for a percentage of your winnings, your lawyer may provide several services. These services may include:
- Collecting evidence that shows how your accident occurred, such as video footage
- Recording witness accounts of how your injury occurred
- Speaking with experts in the field of workers’ compensation issues
- Obtaining documentation and understanding of your injuries from medical professionals who diagnosed your injuries
- Obtaining an injury designation, such as Temporary Total Disability (TTD), Temporary Partial Disability (TPD), Permanent Total Disability (PTD), and Permanent Partial Disability (PPD)
- Determining the amount of workers’ compensation you are entitled to receive
- Filing your claim
- Seeing your claim through to completion
A lawyer may be helpful if a dispute arises from your workers’ compensation claim. Ultimately, it is your decision as to whether you should hire a lawyer for a workers’ compensation claim. Still, you may want to learn about the benefits of hiring a lawyer before making your choice.
Why Your Claim May Be Contested
Several issues could arise during the workers’ compensation claims process. You may find that your employer or their insurance company disputes material facts related to your claim, such as:
- The circumstances of how your injury or illness occurred
- Whether you were intoxicated at the time of your injury
- Whether you were engaged in activities related to your job at the time of your accident
- Whether certain types of medical care are necessary
- Whether you are entitled to the wages you claim because of an on-the-job injury
These sorts of disputes may slow the processing of your claim and may be a barrier to you receiving workers’ compensation benefits if you cannot find a resolution.
The Louisiana Workforce Commission (LWC) notes that a problem with your claim could lead to a mediation process involving a mediator from the Office of Workers’ Compensation. This process may determine the outcome of your claim, and you may have your lawyer represent you during these proceedings.
A Lawyer Understands Why You Need Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Suffering an injury that prevents you from working may turn your world upside down, and you may be in dire need of financial assistance. If you qualify for workers’ compensation benefits, you might not just need benefits, but might also deserve them.
Some issues that may stem from an on-the-job injury include:
- You are unable to work
- You are unable to earn your normal income
- You can only work in a diminished capacity
- You face significant medical costs related to your injury or illness
- You are unable to receive the treatment you need because of financial limitations
- You experience mental health deficits because of your physical injuries or illness
- Your quality of life is being ravaged because of the effects of your injury or illness
Receiving workers’ compensation benefits may help alleviate these effects and allow you to recover from your losses.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today to Get Started on Your Claim
We understand how important workers’ compensation benefits are and that you may not be treated fairly during the workers’ compensation claims process. Call the team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation about our workers’ compensation-related services.