You can sue for wrongful death in a motorcycle accident case. Some of the losses your family may be able to recover in this type of action include:
- Pain and suffering
- The loss of your loved one’s past and future financial protection
- The loss of your loved one’s companionship as a spouse
- The loss of your loved one’s guidance and instruction as a parent
- Funeral costs
- Your loved one’s accident-related medical costs
What Qualifies as Wrongful Death?
Louisiana Civil Code (CC) §2315.2 defines wrongful death as a death that happens “due to the fault of another.” Your loved one’s passing from a motorcycle accident may fall into this category if they were not solely responsible for the collision.
Per CC §2323, you may be able to recover awards even if your loved one was partially at fault for their accident. Compensation in such cases reflects the share of the blame for the collision.
Our team can review your case and look for evidence of another party’s role in the collision. If you decide to move forward, we will handle your lawsuit and aim to secure fair compensation for your loss.
Who Can Collect Financial Recovery In a Wrongful Death Case?
CC §2315.2 explains who may receive compensation for wrongful death. You may be entitled to financial recovery as a close relative of the decedent, which can include:
Some of these family members take priority over others. Our team can tell you if you are eligible to receive compensation once we learn the facts of your case. If you fit any of the above descriptors, you may be able to sue for wrongful death in a motorcycle accident case.
What to Expect In a Wrongful Death Case
When you hire our law firm to represent you in a wrongful death lawsuit, we will do all the heavy lifting. That means we complete every step necessary to prepare your case and file the paperwork to initiate the process. Our team will begin by determining which form of action to take.
- Review the circumstances of the death and the at-fault party’s role in it
- Collect evidence that supports your case
- Evaluate your losses and calculate what damages your family can pursue
- Determine if insurance will cover these losses or if a wrongful death lawsuit is necessary
We will consider any damages that you and your loved ones qualify to recover. To determine what types of compensation to seek, our team must:
- Recover documentation of your loved one’s medical costs
- Identify, value, and document all other losses from your loved one’s passing, including funeral and burial expenses
- Consider the types of pain and suffering that your family has experienced
- Assign a monetary value to your non-financial damages
We Want to Help Your Family Heal
Dealing with a wrongful death lawsuit can be emotionally taxing during an already difficult time. Our firm is on your side following your loved one’s motorcycle accident. This not only means fighting for you in the legal arena but also helping your family heal in any way that we can.
For example, we can refer you to grief counselors. We may also be able to assist you with the logistics of your loved one’s funeral. If there is any way that we can support your family in this difficult time, we will.
The primary benefit that we can provide is handling all of your legal needs. By dealing with other attorneys, filing paperwork, and building a strong case on your behalf, we aim to help your family focus on healing. Allow us to put our knowledge of the law and wrongful death cases to work for you.
Call the Attorneys at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
Our team is ready to handle any wrongful death action that you choose to bring. We will fight for your loved one to obtain justice, providing empathetic legal support to you and your loved ones. Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 to complete your free case evaluation.