There were 128 injury crashes in Pointe Coupee parish in 2019. While the community of Sherburne is far from one of the largest in the state of Louisiana, it is not free from car accidents that result in serious injury or death. If you or your loved one was involved in a motor vehicle accident in or near Sherburne, it is within your rights to pursue a lawsuit if you believe the other driver was negligent in causing or contributing to the accident.
If you want to learn more about your right to bring a lawsuit, a Sherburne car accident lawyer may be able to assist you. You can call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.
Sherburne’s Location Could Cause More Car Accidents
Sherburne consists of sprawling swamps, bayous, and unbridled nature, which contributes to its relatively small population. The roads of Sherburne, rather than those in more populous and urban cities, may present hazards more common to rural Louisiana. In fact, a report referenced in The Advocate found that rural Louisiana roads may produce as much as twice as many fatal accidents as non-rural roads in the state.
Some of the road hazards in Sherburne may include:
- A lack of general upkeep, such as potholes or unlevel stretches of road
- Bridges that have very little clearance between vehicles or that may be structurally unsound
- Poor drainage on and near roads
- A lack of barriers for wildlife, which may cause accidents if they venture onto roads (especially at night)
- Poor maintenance of lane markers
- A lack of nighttime reflectors
- Limited signage
Because roads in Sherburne and other rural parts of the state may be in disrepair, it is possible that more than one party could be deemed negligent for an accident in which you or your loved one was injured or killed. While another driver could be found liable for your losses after the accident, other parties may also be held liable.
Identifying At-Fault Parties After an Accident
There are several causes of accidents that may be considered forms of negligence, and they are often the fault of a motorist. Some of these possible causes include:
- Veering out of one’s lane in a way that causes a collision
- Driving above the posted speed limit
- Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of an accident
- Passing in an illegal manner that causes a collision
- Turning into oncoming traffic without enough clearance to avoid a collision
- Engaging in distracted driving
- Driving at nighttime without functional headlights or without headlights turned on
As previously mentioned, there may be environmental factors, such as the conditions of the road, that could show other parties are also liable in an accident. Some other possible defendants that may have contributed to your or your loved one’s accident may include:
- Local government, if they are responsible for the upkeep of roads
- State government, if they are responsible for the upkeep of roads
- Individual property owners, if they are responsible for one or more elements that contributed to your accident
- Road workers, if they failed to work or maintain their machinery safely
These are just a few of the possibilities of who may be responsible for losses you have sustained because of a motor vehicle collision in Sherburne. If you have questions about your accident and whether it qualifies you to bring a lawsuit, you can call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.
For a free legal consultation with a car accident lawyer serving Sherburne, call (337) 777-7777
A Sherburne Car Accident Lawyer May Be Able to Take on Your Lawsuit
If you have been involved in an accident that resulted in injury or death, you might:
- Be at the beginning of your road to recovery
- Be unable to work or do other activities that were part of your daily life before the accident
- Be coping with the death of a loved one
- Be uncertain about the process for pursuing any compensation that you may be entitled to
If you have reason to believe that you or your loved one was injured or killed because of negligence, you have the option of consulting a lawyer in regards to your case for compensation. If you do this, then you may expect your Sherburne car accident lawyer to:
- Collect your recollection of the accident
- Acquire evidence of the accident, such as video, photographs, and police reports
- Use their resources to conduct additional investigation into the circumstances of your accident
- File your lawsuit in the appropriate legal venue
- Complete the legal steps necessary to complete your lawsuit
- Represent you in either settlement negotiations or at trial
- Defend your rights or the rights of the loved one you are bringing a lawsuit on behalf of
Collecting Compensation for Your Losses
The goal of your lawsuit, aside from seeking justice, will be to seek compensation for losses you endured because of the accident. Some of these losses might include:
- Medical bills stemming from your accident-related injuries
- Lost income from missed work
- Any permanent disability you have developed because of the accident
- Mental anguish
- Physical pain
These losses, as well as any other losses you have sustained from the collision, may be reimbursed through a settlement or judgment. Speaking with a member of our legal team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may give you a clearer picture of the totality of losses that have come from your accident.
Sherburne Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
Call Our Team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
Our attorneys have roots originating in Louisiana, and we want to fight for you if you were injured or lost a loved one in a car accident in or near Sherburne. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.