Trucks come in all shapes and sizes, most of them larger and heavier than the typical passenger vehicle. Some forms of trucks that may cause serious damage if they collide with you in an accident include:
- Concrete truck
- Garbage truck
- Fuel tanker
- Buses of various types
- Cargo truck
- Moving truck
- Semi-truck/big rig
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a Lafayette accident involving any of these truck types, you could be eligible to collect compensation for your losses. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.
Large Trucks Are a Great Hazard When Not Driven with Care
Specialized trucks, such as those listed above, weigh far more than the average passenger vehicle, and thus can create an outsize level of damage when they are involved in a collision.
The federally-imposed weight limit for trucks is 80,000 pounds, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, which is a massive amount of weight that becomes even more daunting when you consider that the average passenger car weighs around 4,000 pounds, according to The New York Times. When a large truck, whether it is a concrete mixer, tractor-trailer, or another type, collides with a passenger vehicle, there is a heightened risk of serious injury or death.
Some characteristics of large trucks that make them susceptible to collisions include:
- An inability to stop quickly, as the mass of large trucks make them much slower to stop than much lighter passenger vehicles, especially in wet conditions or when the vehicle’s brakes have not been maintained
- Poor agility due to the size and weight of large trucks, which may make it more difficult to avoid impending collisions
- Drivers of big rigs routinely drive long distances and can be behind the wheel for hours at a time
When large trucks are involved in accidents, their size and weight makes them akin to a wrecking ball that can crush anything in their path.
Injuries Associated with Large Truck Collisions
The injuries that can arise from large truck collisions are similar to those that can arise from all car accidents, though the weight of large trucks may make serious injuries or death more common.
Injuries arising from car accidents may include:
- Broken bones, especially in the arms, hands, neck, and legs
- Damaged internal organs
- Cuts and lacerations
There are various forms of accidents that may occur. The type of crash may impact the likelihood of serious injury or death occurring. Some potential accident types include:
- Head-on collision
- Rear-end collision
- Side-impact collision
- Single-car collision
Any of these collisions can cause a vehicle to roll over, though side-impact and head-on collisions may be more likely to result in this outcome. If you were involved in an accident with a large truck in Lafayette, you may have experienced one of these collision types. If your accident was the result of driver error, then you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries or a loved one’s death.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accident types lawyer serving Lafayette, call (337) 777-7777
Truck Drivers Are Capable of Negligence
A study by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration found that 87% of crashes involving large trucks were the result of driver error. A Deep Blue University of Michigan study indicates this human error is the cause of somewhere around 90% of accidents overall, and truck drivers are, in fact, human.
Truck drivers of all types are susceptible to dangerous driving behaviors, including distracted driving. Some ways that a truck driver may have acted negligently and caused your accident include:
- Being legally drunk or under the influence of drugs while driving
- Texting while driving
- Taking attention from the road or hands from the wheel for any reason
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a collision involving a truck and negligence was a contributing factor, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation.
Lafayette Truck Accident Types Lawyer Near Me (337) 777-7777
A Lawyer Can Help You Pursue Compensation
If you were injured in a type of Lafayette truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation from:
- The driver of the truck
- The driver’s employer
- The truck manufacturer, if vehicle error was to blame
A lawyer can help you identify the liable parties in your case, and can assist you further by:
- Initiating your case before the statute of limitations expires
- Collecting evidence of the accident, including any testimony that the defendant acted in a negligent manner
- Obtaining documentation of your injuries
- Fulfilling all legal responsibilities necessary to bring your case to a conclusion
- Protecting your rights throughout the legal process
We want to help you in any way we can. Reach out to us today to find out more.
Potentially Recoverable Compensation
Your case is unique, and there is no assurance of what specific compensation you could recover. With this said, possible awards may cover:
- Medical costs stemming from the accident
- Lost wages or diminished earning capacity caused by your injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
If you lost a loved one in a Lafayette accident involving a type of truck, additional awards may cover:
- Loss of financial protection for you and your family
- The loss of spousal companionship
- The loss of guidance for children of the deceased
- Funeral costs
We may be able to recover further damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Call Our Team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
If you lost a loved one in a Lafayette accident involving a truck, or were injured in an accident yourself, you may be eligible for compensation covering your losses. Call our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers today at (337) 777-7777 for a free consultation. The sooner you speak with us, the sooner we can get started on your case.