The original construction of the I-10 in the United States was started in 1956, according to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. Eventually, the construction of the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge on I-10 was completed and opened for traffic in 1971, according to Bridgehunter.
The Smithsonian reports that in total, the original construction of the Interstate Highway System cost more than $100 billion dollars to complete. Interstates changed the way people navigate the country and the way commercial products move from one end of the United States to the other. In Louisiana and other states, the completed interstate contributed to new suburban communities and increased travel and cross-country journeys became faster and easier.
Vehicle Collisions on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge on I-10
Citizens and visitors travel the Interstate through Louisiana every day. In 2019, the Center for Analytics & Research in Transportation (CARTS) reported the following Louisiana interstate fatal crashes and accident numbers on its network of interstates:
- Collisions that resulted in fatalities in 2019 numbered 86
- Driver and passenger lives lost in fatal crashes in 2019 numbered 95
- Collisions on elevated interstates that resulted in fatalities in 2019 numbered 7
- Collisions on elevated interstates that resulted in serious injuries numbered 284
Of the accidents reported to the CARTS system, 39 happened on the portion of the I-10 in Louisiana. Seek medical and legal help right away if you were involved in a collision on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge along I-10.
Car Collisions in Louisiana Are Expensive
In 2019, the citizens of Louisiana spent millions of dollars on emergency and follow-up medical care that resulted from car accidents. CARTS also reports the following total cost of injuries in Louisiana created from car collisions on its roads and interstates including the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge along I-10:
- Expenses related to fatalities – $1,117,361,397.00
- Expenses related to severe injuries – $552,459,501.00
- Expenses related to minor injuries – $1,389,152,160.00
- Expenses related to damaged or destroyed property – $2,135,487,616
If you were involved in an accident and wound up with medical bills, lost wages, and damaged or destroyed property, speak to a lawyer near you as soon as possible about your options for financial recovery.
If You Were Injured in a Car Accident, You Can Pursue Damages
When you are involved in a two-car collision on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge along I-10, you and any passengers in your car might sustain major or minor injuries. No matter how minor or severe your injuries are, you deserve to be compensated for the costs that go along with your injuries.
Some injuries after car accidents include:
- Whiplash that might require pain management and prescription injections
- Concussions that might require pain control and extended periods of rest
- Broken bones that might require ongoing physical therapy and surgery
- Serious head injuries that might require long-term physical and occupational therapies
- Spinal cord injuries that might require surgical repair and rehabilitative therapies
Get the medical help you need immediately. Once your injuries have been treated, talk to a lawyer who can help you afford the treatments you need to experience a full physical and emotional recovery.
Contact Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
If you or a member of your family was involved in a car accident while on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge on I-10, you do not have to fight the at-fault driver or his insurance company alone. Discuss the details of a car accident with a lawyer who can help you assign liability to the responsible party.
Your lawyer can also negotiate a favorable settlement with the at-fault driver’s insurance company and make sure you receive the financial award you deserve. Connect with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers at (337) 777-7777 today.