Every registered car owner in Louisiana is required to have a minimal amount of liability vehicle insurance. If a driver does not adhere to this law, and an accident occurs, it can quickly create financial problems for injured parties on both sides.
If you were involved in a New Orleans car accident with an uninsured driver, a car accident lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to help you find avenues to pursue compensation for your damages. For more information about our services, you can receive a free consultation on your case with a member of our team. We may be able to provide you with representation on a contingency-fee basis.
Options for Pursuing Compensation if the Other Driver Was Uninsured
According to RS 22:1295, all car insurance companies in Louisiana must make uninsured motorist (UM) coverage available to their customers. Although this is not a mandatory form of coverage under state law, you may carry UM if you did not specifically choose to reject it when purchasing insurance coverage.
If you carry UM insurance and an uninsured driver caused your accident, our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to help you file a UM claim with your own insurance company.
Another option for pursuing compensation in this type of case may be a personal injury lawsuit against the responsible driver. At Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers, we can also help you evaluate this option in your case when we represent you.
For a free legal consultation with a uninsured car accident lawyer serving New Orleans, call (504) 777-7777
Options for Pursuing Compensation if You Were Uninsured
If you were hurt in an accident caused by another party’s negligence while you were driving a car that was uninsured, you may still have options for financial recovery. However, according to the Louisiana Department of Insurance (LDI), Louisiana has a “no pay, no play” law that blocks uninsured drivers from recovering:
- The first $25,000 in property damages
- The first $15,000 in personal injuries
If your damages exceed these amounts, you may be able to recover compensation in an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit against the responsible party.
New Orleans Uninsured Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (504) 777-7777
You Pay no Fees Unless We Win
When you call our firm to discuss your case, you will receive a risk-free, no-obligation, complimentary consultation. Our services won’t cost you a dime:
- Out of pocket
- Starting up
We want you to put your money towards your recovery, so we only take our fee if and when you are awarded compensation. If you don’t get a settlement or court verdict, we walk away empty-handed.
Evidence in a Car Accident Case
Even if you are filing a UM claim with your own insurance company, you may need evidence of the responsible party’s liability and your damages to recover compensation.
Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers can help you collect evidence when we represent you. This evidence may include the police crash report from your accident, which can tell us:
- The date of the accident to help establish the statute of limitations
- The time and location of the accident
- The identity of the at-fault driver
- Insurance and contact info of all involved parties
- Witness accounts
- The position of each car after the accident and where each car was impacted
- The involvement, if any, of drug and alcohol use in the collision
In addition to your crash report, we may be able to collect the following evidence to use in your case:
- Photos of your injuries and damages
- Photos or videos from the accident scene
- Witness statements
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts
- Medical records that detail your injuries and their severity
- Medical bills that demonstrate the cost of your treatments
- Receipts, bills, estimates, and other documents that help value your claim
If you have any evidence or documentation of your accident or injuries such as this, make sure to retain it for use in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Working with Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers
You can focus on your recovery when a lawyer from our team represents you in a New Orleans car accident case against an uninsured driver. Our services may include:
- Evaluating what options you may have for pursuing compensation
- Providing you with legal advice and designing a strategy for the case
- Communicating with all parties on your behalf
- Filing the insurance claim and/or personal injury lawsuit
- Coordinating settlement negotiations
- Representing you at trial
- Keeping you informed about any updates in the case
A member of our team at Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers is available to offer you a free case assessment today.
Recoverable Damages in a Car Accident Case
Depending on the details of your accident, injuries, and options for pursuing compensation, the following damages may be recoverable in a car accident case:
- Current and future costs of medical treatment: These costs might include medications, hospital stays, surgeries, assistive devices, lab work and diagnostic tests, and ongoing appointments.
- Lost wages: You could lose out on vacation days, hourly pay and salary, bonuses, and other benefits.
- Reduced earning capability: If you’re not able to return to your previous job or must take a lower-paying one, the claim may account for this decrease in pay.
- Property damage: Your vehicle might need to be repaired or replaced. It could also have required towing. Without your vehicle, you might need to turn to other modes of transportation.
- Pain and suffering: You have endured physical pain from your injuries.
- Wrongful death damages: Should you have lost your loved one in the accident, you could recoup expenses for their funeral, burial, medical bills, and your losses of support and consortium.
- More out-of-pocket expenses: You could need assistance around the house.
File Your Compensation Case Without Delay
According to CC Art. 3492, a general one-year statute of limitations applies to personal injury lawsuits in Louisiana. The same goes for wrongful death under CC Art. 2315.2. If you wait too long and allow this deadline to pass before you take legal action, your lawsuit may be dismissed. Thus, you could lose your chance to recover compensation for your damages.
Even if you just plan to file a UM insurance claim, acting swiftly and keeping your right to sue open can be important in case the insurance company refuses to make you a fair offer.
The sooner you call us, the sooner we can get started on your case. We can let you know what specific deadlines pertain to your potential lawsuit.
Call Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers Today
You do not need to face the aftermath of a New Orleans car accident with an uninsured driver alone. A lawyer from Laborde Earles Injury Lawyers may be able to coordinate all aspects of your case.
Find out more by calling our team at (504) 777-7777. A representative of our firm can answer your questions and provide you with a free initial case review. We may be able to provide our legal services on a contingency-fee basis.